JPB

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 02:57 pm
Everyone in Dallas who was being monitored due to contact with Mr Duncan or with the nurses who became infected while caring for him is now in the clear.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/its-over-texas-ebola-outbreak-has-ended-n242931
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:25 pm
Guys, Ebola isn't a threat.

There's like not even 5 people in the U.S with it and they are quarantined as all hell and the others are dead.

It's like nobody understands the concept of ending a thread. Everyone has to add something - it's a vicious cycle.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 07:53 pm
it appears that President Obama handled the ebola crisis correctly.
the media will not tell you this.

'america is ebola free'.... just reported on nbc nightly news.

it's amazing how the republicans, along with the media, whipped up fear and frenzy just weeks prior to an election.

quite impressive.

President Obama links ‘headlines’ to Ebola fear

In an emotional, just-concluded address on Ebola this afternoon, President Obama referenced the media’s role in stirring up panic over the deadly virus. “I know that, with all the headlines and all the news, that people are scared,” said the president, who spoke at the White House with a group of health professionals surrounding him. “I know that Ebola has concerned them.”

Media criticism wasn’t the central theme of the president’s presentation. He was celebrating the work of those who give their time and risk their own health to provide assistance to Ebola victims in West Africa. “They make huge sacrifices and, when they come home, they deserve to be treated properly. They deserve to be treated like the heroes that they are,” he said.

Obama has spoken out against automatic quarantines for health workers who return to the United States after service in West Africa, on the rationale that such drastic measures will discourage aid to the part of the world where containment efforts are most needed.

The reference to “all the headlines and all the news” appears based in the cable-news Ebola overload of earlier this month. Though overcoverage has a place in bona fide mysteries like Malaysian Airlines 370 and even in harrowing public tragedies like the Boston Marathon bombings, such volume coverage has a panic-inducing effect when it comes to covering a virus.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/10/29/president-obama-links-headlines-to-ebola-fear/
Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 02:05 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
We should listen to science. The question is should we listen to government scientists?
are you shitting me?

This is such a loaded question...

If by "are you shitting me?" you mean "are you serious?" then yes, I am serious.

Of course I didn't mean the guy who is hunched over a microscope for 8 hours a day in a government owned lab, or any of the people who are doing real science and just happen to be employed by our government. We never hear from those scientists. The government scientists we hear from are technocrats and administrators, who take their marching orders from politicians because they enjoy having a position like head of the CDC.

I don't give a rat's ass how learned and smart these guys are. Brainy and well educated people are a dime a dozen, and, believe it or not, even the brainiest and best educated among them are not infallible, and are subject to the same pressures and temptations that beset the rest of the herd.

It is part of the Progressive playbook to insult and impugn the motives of those who refuse to simply accept the dictum of the chosen experts and move along, and in the course of the process we have "government scientists" telling us that we will die if we eat more salt than they say is good for us, that marijuana is an addictive drug that will destroy the nation, and a pesticide that could have saved millions of lives taken out of circulation because it was said to be destroying the environment.

To be sure, in each of these cases there were a lot of different interests and influences propelling the false narrative along, but that is my point: Scientists and particularly "government scientists" are not immune to these sources of pressure and temptation and the government is always able to find "scientists" to give their expert stamp of approval to any government action...even if it means convicting innocent men and women of abusing children in their day care facility through Satanic rituals, or employing, institutionally, principles of eugenics even before the Nazis.

"Science" is aware of this and makes exacting demands on it practitioners, never accepting claims and assertions on their face value alone. If it's good enough for Science, it's good enough for me.

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 04:54 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Ahh, I knew it would come to rest as a progressive plot. So "govt scientists" are cabinet appointees or tech advisors tht Congress men hire?
Then, its most often not "Govt SCientists" but "Dem or GOP party Scientists".

Quehoniaomath

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 08:32 am
http://www.davidicke.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/get-attachment-814-587x390.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 09:40 am
@farmerman,
I think it's because someone put some of their ebola arseness in the spaghetti.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 09:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
I saw that, and I got the impression he didn't mind people picking their arses and putting it in the spaghetti as long as they'd not got Ebola.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 09:45 am
@izzythepush,
Did you see the follow up?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 09:47 am
@Lordyaswas,
I'm up to date on Russell Howard, not seen next Thursday's as it's not been on telly yet. I won't watch your clip in case there's any spoilers.

Last week was all about the lunatic Republicans running for office.
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 10:04 am
@izzythepush,
The election is over, all this disappears in the GOP's afterglow . They are too busy sucking on cigarettes .

0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 05:38 am
http://www.davidicke.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/get-attachment-472-587x391.jpg
Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:54 pm
@farmerman,
Who suggested there was a plot involved? That's your creation, not mine.

If you want to call them "Dem or GOP hired scientists" instead of "government scientists," that's fine with me. Same set of "experts" like Gruber.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
We never hear from those scientists. The government scientists we hear from are technocrats and administrators, who take their marching orders from politicians because they enjoy having a position like head of the CDC.

This simply isn't true.

Does the fact that the scientists were 100% correct matter to you? That in spite of rejecting the hysterical calls for blocking air traffic. and the public outrage of people bowling and bike riding, there have been zero public transmissions of Ebola in any Western country. Zero,

Finn, at what point do you drop the politics and admit you were wrong?

Kolyo

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:40 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Finn, at what point do you drop the politics and admit you were wrong?

Not after "Round 1", I hope.

There will likely be additional outbreaks in the US.
Globally, the epidemic is still ongoing.
The critical battle at the moment is to prevent it from overrunning Mali.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:46 am
@Kolyo,
Quote:
There will likely be additional outbreaks in the US.

First of all what do you mean "additional outbreak"? The only people who caught ebola in the US were nurses caring for a dying patient. This is hardly an outbreak. No one in the US (or any other Western country) has ever caught Ebola.

Second, you are clearly wrong. It is extremely unlikely there will be any outbreak in the US. The scientists said there wouldn't be, and they are 100% correct.

There has been no outbreak of ebola in the US. There will be no outbreak of ebola in the US. Give it up already.

Kolyo

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:56 am
@maxdancona,
I mean there will be additional index cases -- people catching Ebola abroad and coming here. If you define an "outbreak" as an index case, plus all cases the index case generates, then we've had two "outbreaks", one of size 3 and one of size 1.

Thing is, we've shown we can handle a couple cases at a time. If Ebola spreads to Mali and across Africa, the rate at which index cases appear in the US will start increasing. Walter said, earlier in the thread, that the American system might struggle to deal with more than 10 cases at a time.

However, I am cautiously optimistic. They are working on vaccines and cures, and those should be available before the US ever has what you would call an outbreak.

Also, none of this has anything to do with whether conservatives were correct in calling for an immediate travel ban. I do think the events of the past two months have shown travel bans were unnecessary.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:13 pm
@Kolyo,
It was all fodder for the electoral process, funded by the Koch brothers.
0 Replies