Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And this is supposed to convey what?
What has been said above.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
BTW - please spare me your usual lesson on German politics and what the term "liberal" means in Germany. You have spent sufficient time in this forum to know what the world means in the US, and it is this usage that I am employing. I could use progressive, or left-winger, or Democrat, or if you will share with me what conservative Germans call there counter-parts in your country, I will be happy to use that.
I can' remember ever having given you a lesson on German politics.
I do remember, however, to have written what "liberal" means in British English. And in politics outside the USA. But why should that be a topic here???
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 09:20 pm
Hopefully New York City/State/Bellevue Hospital will do a good job on containing the newly diagnosed case.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:06 am
Quote:
US news stations have really outdone themselves with their Ebola coverage, first CNN declared the virus "the Isis of biological agents", then Fox suggested the country's borders be shut down.

Now New York news station NY1 has some important advice on how not to catch Ebola when you're out and about on the street.

"If you come across some strange mucus or faeces or something out there, on the subway, on the street or anywhere else," an 'expert' is seen telling the anchor in a video clip from a report, "You know, don't eat it!"

There you have it.
Source
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That made me laugh out loud, Walter.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 10:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Very helpful, but they should have included "Don't pick it up and rub it all over your body."

However, and I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, I heard a report this morning that a NYC cop was seen disposing of Ebola waste (whatever that might be and wherever he may have found it) in a street side trash container. I suppose it could be related to the doctor who came down with it and was taken to Bellevue, but it does sound hokey.
JPB

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 10:55 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It wasn't ebola waste. It was gloves and masks worn by officers who were outside the building. They had no contact with the patient or his apartment. Probably dumb in terms of creating more fear, but no one is going to get ebola from someone who's never had contact with a patient or his immediate surroundings.
JPB

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 10:58 am
On the good news front, both nurses who contracted ebola while treating Mr Duncan in Dallas are now virus free and should be released from their respective care centers soon.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 11:10 am
A couple of points about the following column in today's Washington Post: Those who are sanguine about the risk to the US and those who are concerned both agree that controlling the epidemic in West Africa is essential. Stop it there and and concerns about it spreading widely and in the same out of control fashion largely disappear. So how the effort there is going is very important.

That only 300 of the 3,000 troops promised by President Obama are actually in West Africa may be no more than a logistics issue, but it would also would not be atypical of the history of promises made by this Administration: Talk a good game, but deliver far less.

Max has repeatedly made the point that the cultural difference between West Africa and the US explains why Ebola could not be a problem in this country. I would say though that it is less culture than level of technology and modernity. Americans care for their family members as much as Liberians do and if there weren't medical facilities to which they could bring their sick loved one, they would be lavishing the same close contact personal care Liberians do. Similarly if there weren't undertakers in every American town, American families would take on the grim job of preparing and burying a loved one's corpse. No matter how they died, I doubt too many American families would either throw their family member's body out their back door or leave it in a bedroom and vacate the house.

However, where an advanced level of services and capabilities will likely make little difference is with children. Should a child come down with Ebola, once they show symptoms and become contagious, the chances are great that they will receive close personal care from adults within their family. Fortunately, no child has come down with the disease, but they are at the same risk as the average American, and perhaps even more. It is ridiculous to warn adults not to eat (or touch) strange mucous or feces, but these and other warnings for practical prevention are lost on small children. Still this increased risk comes on top of a risk that is very, very low and there is no reason to scare kids by warning them about a virus that will cause them to bleed from their eyes. However, if I found that a child exposed to an Ebola patient, like Mr. Duncan, was attending my small child's school, I think I would play it very safe and not send them, and I reject any notion that this would constitute panic. No matter what the odds are, people are very reluctant to play any game that involves their children's lives. I think my wife or I could do a fine job of homeschooling for the 21 days or so before the All Clear was sounded.

Quote:
The world is in denial about Ebola’s true threat

Michael Gerson

It is such a relief about that Ebola thing. The threat of a U.S. outbreak turned out to be overhyped. A military operation is underway to help those poor Liberians. An Ebola czar (what is his name again?) has been appointed to coordinate the U.S. government response. The growth of the disease in Africa, by some reports, seems to have slowed. On to the next crisis.

Except that this impression of control is an illusion, and a particularly dangerous one.

The Ebola virus has multiplied in a medium of denial. There was the initial denial that a rural disease, causing isolated outbreaks that burned out quickly, could become a sustained, urban killer. There is the (understandable) denial of patients in West Africa, who convince themselves that they have flu or malaria (the symptoms are similar to Ebola) and remain in communities. And there is the form of denial now practiced by Western governments — a misguided belief that an incremental response can get ahead of an exponentially growing threat.

The remarkable success of Nigerian authorities in tracing and defeating their Ebola outbreak has created a broad impression that the disease is contained. Some administration officials are privately citing the news of empty hospital beds in parts of Liberia as a welcome development.

But the disease is not contained within Liberia and Sierra Leone. Aid officials debate the reasons for empty beds in some health-care facilities. Are people infected with Ebola staying at home out of fear (since reporting to a health-care facility must seem like a death sentence)? Is this a dip in infections before the next rise — a phenomenon we’ve seen before? Are there many more invisible cases beyond the reach of roads and communications? (The relief organization Samaritan’s Purse reports finding some remote villages in Liberia decimated by the disease.) The least likely explanation, at this point, is that Ebola has run its course.

Until there is a vaccine, limiting the spread of Ebola depends on education and behavior change. People must be persuaded to do things that violate powerful human inclinations. A parent must be persuaded not to touch a sick child. A relative must be persuaded not to respectfully prepare a body for burial. A man or woman with a fever must be persuaded to prepare for the worst instead of hoping for the best. This is the exceptional cruelty of Ebola — it requires human beings to overcome humane instincts for comfort, tradition and optimism. And this difficult education must come from trusted sources in post-conflict societies where few institutions have established public trust.

The Ebola virus has sometimes been like a fire in a pine forest — burning in hidden ways along the floor before suddenly flaring. There are, perhaps,12,000 Ebola cases in West Africa. The World Health Organization warns there may be 5,000 to 10,000 new cases each week by December. This would quickly overwhelm existing and planned health capacity (1,700 proposed beds in Liberia from the U.S. military, perhaps 1,000 beds in community care centers).

At this level of infection, the questions become: Is Ebola containable? Will we see disease-related hunger? How will rice crops be harvested and transported? What effects will spiking food prices have on civil order? Might there be large-scale, disease-related migration? What would be the economic effects on all of Africa? Many are still refusing to look at these (prospective) horrors full in the face.

This denial is reflected in the scale and urgency of the global response, including by the United States. Of the 3,000 troops promised by President Obama in September, just a few hundred are now on the ground. The first U.S.-built hospital — a 25-bed facility for foreign health workers — will not open until early November. The airlift of supplies for aid groups within Liberia is still not functioning at scale. Some local capabilities (such as corpse removal) have improved. But few aid officials believe Liberia or Sierra Leone are prepared for the coming wave.

The appointment of Ron Klain as Ebola czar — commanding no immediate respect from either the military or the public health community — reveals a disposition. The White House believes it has a management and communications challenge. But the problem is far larger: the inability (so far) to get ahead of the crisis in West Africa with decisive action. This points to a useful role for Klain and other White House staffers — not to make the current Ebola policy process run smoothly but to blow it up in search of sufficient answers.

http://img.washingtonpost.com/rw/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2014/10/10/Health-Environment-Science/Graphics/EBOLA-BY-THE-NUMBERS_FRONTie101014.jpg?uuid=1Lq1SlASEeSHfDNbU__nNg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 01:19 pm
21 maps and charts that explain Ebola
by German Lopez and Joss Fong on October 23, 2014

The Ebola virus became international news this year due to a horrific outbreak in West Africa. Despite (or perhaps because of) the media attention, there remains a lot of confusion and misinformation about the virus. These maps and charts help explain what the disease and epidemic are all about — and why Americans don't have to be as worried for themselves as West Africa when it comes to Ebola.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/21/7020519/Ebola-facts-maps-charts-graphics

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2369618/Ebola_stages.0.png

CDC
3.Ebola gets more contagious the longer a person has had it

The longer a person has Ebola, the more contagious he or she becomes. Researchers think that Ebola has a 21-day incubation period, the time after infection when a person is not contagious and shows no symptoms. Vox’s Julia Belluz described just how those symptoms appear: "Ebola typically strikes like the worst and most humiliating flu you could imagine. People get the sweats, along with body aches and pains. Then they start vomiting and having uncontrollable diarrhea. These symptoms can appear anywhere between two and 21 days after exposure to the virus. Sometimes, they go into shock. Sometimes, they bleed." In the West African outbreak, 7 out of 10 people with Ebola have died, typically after about a week after symptoms begin.

This is the best collection of information available. Seriously worth the perusal.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 01:22 pm
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/141024-the-stupid-just-keeps-getting-stupider.jpg
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 01:22 pm
Ebola is like Genius

It just doesn't spread like stupidity.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 01:25 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Good bumper sticker, too.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 01:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, Walter. I feel ever so much safer.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:19 pm
Reminder from 2 Months Ago - "House GOP cuts funding request to fight Ebola"

This is a reminder that when before President Obama announced the expansion of U.S, efforts to combat Ebola in a speech to the U.N. back in September (before any U.S. cases of Ebola were reported), House Republicans were busy stonewalling on much needed funding. Only after Duncan was diagnosed with Ebola did House Republicans ultimately agree to the President's request at which time they accused the President of not doing enough. Does the media note this discrepancy? No.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/217115-gop-cuts-obamas-ebola-funding-request

House Republicans indicated Tuesday that they will provide less than half of the White House's funding request to fight Ebola in the next government spending bill.

According to a source familiar with the negotiations, House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) agreed as of Tuesday morning to spend a total of $40 million to fight the epidemic in the 2015 spending bill.

his would include $25 million for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and $15 million for the Biological Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) to ramp up production of an experimental anti-Ebola drug, the source said.

The White House had asked for $88 million for Ebola in total, including $58 million for BARDA, which is involved in coordinating experimental treatments during public health emergencies.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 09:51 pm
@JPB,
I agree. I was merely reporting what I had heard.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 09:57 pm
@JPB,
That is good news. I had heard about the first, but not the second.

You have to wonder if Mr. Duncan would also have recovered if he had been admitted the first time he went to the ER, and if he has been immediately transferred to Emory. I'm sure his family's lawyers will be arguing that he would have.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 09:58 pm
@roger,
The question is now that you've been warned, can you control that perfectly natural instinct to eat strange feces and vomit you find in the street?