ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:35 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm not particularly afraid, but I think I was an immediate poster re worry re human error - read early in the thread. I've some history in labs.

I'm aware of west africa, family from a village there.

Don't go around assuming.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:37 pm
@maxdancona,
life in the cities of West Africa, where Ebola has now moved to, is also very different from life in the villages and countryside where the disease was previously stoppable

the move to the cities is where things have become significantly worse

still very different from the US/Canada/Spain, but the disease growth shouldn't have spread exponentially once it got to the cities (with somewhat better healthcare availability) - where you are more likely to have business people from the first world on work trips
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:54 pm
@ehBeth,
EhBeth,

We have to separate logical responses to a deadly disease, to irrational responses.

There is no realistic possibility that his disease will spread in modern developed countries. Sure it is a remote possibility, you can never say never. There comes a point where taking drastic measures to protect against a highly improbable event is ridiculous, expensive and damaging.

You can't compare what is happening in West Africa to what might happen in the US and Canada. These two environments are so different, that one has no relation to the other when it comes to the spread of this disease.

I fully support the perfectly logical measures being taken to save lives. People with risk factors and symptoms should be quarantined. Contacts of victims should be traced and watched. Hospitals should be prepared for victims. All of these things are perfectly reasonable.

My point is that public panic only leads to irrational decisions. There is nothing wrong with saying that there is almost zero chance of an epidemic in the US and Canada (given that there is zero chance of an epidemic). This will allow the people who have the expertise and the responsibility of addressing this issue to do their jobs, based on science and technical expertise, without having to deal with public panic or political pressure.

The conspiracy theories, fear mongering and general panic don't make anyone safer.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 11:54 pm
Ebola patient improving significantly, Med Center official says
Source: Omaha World Herald

By Rick Ruggles / World-Herald staff writer

The Nebraska Medical Center biocontainment team feels for the Dallas nurse who has contracted Ebola, but exudes confidence in its own processes, the nursing director of that unit said at a Monday Q&A with reporters.

The 40 staffers of the 10-bed biocontainment unit feel safe and confident about their protocols and procedures, said Shelly Schwedhelm.

"We have had no moments of freak-out whatsoever," she said.

FULL short story at link.

Read more: http://www.livewellnebraska.com/ebola/ebola-patient-improving-significantly-med-center-official-says/article_c76696f0-5302-11e4-af42-001a4bcf6878.html

Also see this post: Nebraska doctor writes about treating Ebola – 'the Super Bowl of infectious diseases': http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025662107
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 12:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
He was probably never vaccinated, eat healthy, no fluoride, no aspartame, no sugar, and so on and so forth,

You see, the problem is not really Ebola, it is surpressed immune system!
Caused by all of the above!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 12:29 am
@georgeob1,
The freaking out part I see on Fox and CNN every day. O'Reilly is losing his mind and a GOP Rep from CA has suggested that euthanizing all Ebola patients and fire bombing villages.

If you can't figure out where the graph and facts came from you didn't read the article or go to the link provided.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 12:32 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
The freaking out part I see on Fox and CNN every day. O'Reilly is losing his mind and a GOP Rep from CA has suggested that euthanizing all Ebola patients and fire bombing villages.

If you can't figure out where the graph and facts came from you didn't read the article or go to the link provided.

Jesus!!! Now check "Georgia Guidestones" and "Agenda 21" !

'They"want to reduce the population and put everyone in Mega Cities!
For this see e.g. the movie Hunger Games! There our future is hidden in plain sight!
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 02:42 am

Quote:
Five passengers with “flu-like symptoms” were removed from a flight from Dubai by emergency crews in hazmat suits after it touched down in Boston on Monday, but U.S. health authorities said that the possibility of Ebola was “exceedingly low”.

I just want to add that all (illegal) migrants are carrying deadly diseases such as swine flu, dengue fever, tuberculosis ... and of course the Ebola virus.
Which is the fault of Obama and the Democrats.
Alqaholic

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yup, legal migrants have immunity and can't carry deadly diseases such as swine flu, dengue fever, tuberculosis, and of course the Ebola virus. I feel safer already.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm more worried about having someone take my temperature if I come down with a flu or something similar. Bang! Isolate old Roger for 21 days. Will somebody please feed my cats and let them in and out on demand?
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:48 am
http://www.davidicke.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/get-attachment10-587x391.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 04:35 am
@roger,
Cats will be killed - they might have a flu, too, ... and are, like nearly everyone/everyanimal in NM, illegal immigrants.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 08:17 am
This is David Icke claiming to be the son of God. Only an idiot would bother visiting his website, let alone cut and paste any of the drivel they found on there.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 08:35 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This is David Icke claiming to be the son of God. Only an idiot would bother visiting his website, let alone cut and paste any of the drivel they found on there.

Have you considered the possibility that Quehoniaomath is David Icke. They are both narcissistic and crazy and fond of simplistic extremist memes expressed through photoshop.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:04 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Just look at how many crazy photoshopped memes you have posted recently here and elsewhere.

You probably don't realize how stupid they are (for some reason crazy people seem to like them).
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:34 am
@maxdancona,
David Icke is more articulate.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:44 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Just look at how many crazy photoshopped memes you have posted recently here and elsewhere.

You probably don't realize how stupid they are (for some reason crazy people seem to like them).

Ohhhh But of course you can't tell me why exactly thet are crazy? eh?!
0 Replies