Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 12:58 pm
http://www.davidicke.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/get-attachment-132-587x440.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 01:54 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Doesn't matter. I won't take it.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:21 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I hope for your sake you won't

But, and this is abig but...the people behind this are extremely, and I mean extremely good manipulators!

You may end up, asking for it!!!

I hope not, of course, but be carefull!!

They are extremely good at this, AND they are the most evil persons you can imagine!! Sheer evil!!! No kidding!

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 04:17 pm
The Ebola crisis or as Fox refers to it - the EBOLA CRISIS! is so bad that Teapublicans are just clamoring, begging the President and their leaders to bring Congress back to deal with it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 04:31 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
This would be the same government that does not follow its own rules for handling bugs in its own labs?

Ya, I dont expect much out of our government on ebola. Telling us what to eat and how to have sex about exhausts its abilities...it bullies pretty good but does not get work done well generally.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 06:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

OK - We disagree on the motivation for Biden's comments and the comments of people like him.

Regardless of his motivation, his comments were idiotic.

This *is* Joe Biden we're talking about here, right? The man does have a talent for saying things that shouldn't be said.

Quote:
There is zero reason to panic, no matter how great the risk, but "panic" is being used by Max and others to describe reasonable as well as irrational fear. There is already reporting concerning possible plans by ISIS to use Ebola in a terrorist attack against America. I don't know if they have any actual evidence of this or it's just logical speculation, but introduce humans willing and capable of using the virus as a weapon, and all the assurances concerning the way it spreads naturally have a hole in them.

Unsubstantiated reporting by 24-hour news (I use that would lightly) entities are fabrications used to keep us scared and watching, imo.

Quote:
A lot of people are calling for a ban on inbound flights from the nations currently beset by Ebola, and this is being called a reaction of panic. We were told by our president that Ebola was not going to be brought to the US by one of these flights, and lo and behold, one did. (Another good reason not to tell people there is zero risk - if it's proven false, it trashes your credibility when you have something sensible to say about the matter). Past Ebola outbreaks have been self-containing in that they have occurred in rural areas and kill so many of it's victims that eventually the disease puts an end to itself. This time around it has reached urban centers where, regardless of how difficult it is to transmit, wider spread transmission is more likely. The more people going to and from the affected areas, the less chance there is for the disease to run its course.

I'm not suggesting that the people in these West African countries be left to die for the benefit of the rest of the world, but banning inbound commercial flights would not do do. I have heard numerous experts stating that we shouldn't ban these flights, but none can offer a reason beyond saying its not necessary. Obviously if the ban had been in effect before Mr. Duncan arrived in American, Ebola would not have come to Dallas.

I'll agree that banning inbound flights from endemic areas is a good idea if you agree that banning travel in and out of the Dallas-FW metroplex is a good idea.

Quote:
Whether or not it is appropriate to prevent commercial air traffic between the US and these countries to prevent a relative handful of deaths is a worthy question, but no one wants to frame it in this way, because no one wants to publicly say that the commercial air traffic with Liberia or Sierre Leone is more important than the lives of a handful of Americans who might die from contracting Ebola. So instead they insinuate that simply calling for a measure that implies a handful of American deaths are more significant than the air traffic, is an expression of panic.

If from the start they had said that with the extent of global transportation there was a pretty good chance that Ebola would find its way here, but it is actually less dangerous to the general public than several other potentially deadly diseases that can just as easily or more easily be carried here from foreign lands, they would have had a better chance of keeping the threat in context with the American people, but their first reaction is to treat us like children...Daddy will never let anything happen to you so go back to sleep and don't worry.

When you tell someone something that is proven not to be true: Ebola won't come here on a plane from Africa, or ER staffs throughout the country are trained to immediately identify potential Ebola cases and will jump on the case right away, you've created a logical reason for people to mistrust everything else you say: Ebola is not airborne, it can't possibly spread like the flu.

When the assurances of experts are needed to prevent overreaction to a situation, it obviously doesn't help to undermine those assurances by having been proven wrong on prior ones. When the one's that have proven wrong were based on fanciful or condescending zero risk-like statements, you've shot yourself in the foot.

And to the extent that they are implementing safety precautions, largely to calm the fear of citizens (medical screening of inbound passengers from these countries) it doesn't have the desired effect when it is obviously an attempt at applying a psychological band-aide to the public's psyche. People are not stupid. If there is a reason to screen these passengers in 5 US airports, why isn't there a reason to screen them in all US airports?

If they are incompetent when it comes to allaying fears, why would we believe they are competent in dealing with the disease when it actually presents itself?

I agree to a point. It's disturbing that the CDC's response to the second case is immediately turned into a breach or error on the part of the nurse. There are only two possibilities. Either the nurse didn't follow the protocol or the protocol isn't sufficient to protect health care workers. CDC insists that the protocol works. I'm not 100% convinced that's true. BTW, I never heard anyone in an official capacity say that Ebola could never come here via commercial air travel, but then I never watch 24-hour news networks.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 06:52 am

Here’s What It Looks Like After Someone Shouts “I HAVE EBOLA, YOU'RE ALL SCREWED!” On A Plane

You know the saying about how you should never yell “Fire!” in a theater? Let’s bring that maxim up to date, and amend it to add that you should also refrain from shouting, “I have Ebola, you’re all screwed!” on an airplane. Because that will result in the hazardous materials folks showing up and generally spoiling an entire planeful of people’s plans for an uneventful flight.

An unidentified American passenger on a US Airways flight traveling from Philadelphia to Punta Cana on in the Dominican Republic on Wednesday reportedly shouted out things like, “I’ve been to Africa!” and, according to media reports, “I have Ebola, you’re all screwed!” right before the plane landed, reports Fox News Latino.

Though it’s unclear/unconfirmed exactly what he said, passengers and crew were not amused, as the Ebola outbreak has killed almost 4,000 people in Africa and infectious diseases are just not something you kid around about, causing a bit of a scene on the plane.
Upon the plane’s arrival, a passenger chronicled what happens next on video, of course, because that is what one does in the times we live in.

The flight crew tells everyone to sit down, and on come the blue hazmat suits, while the passenger in question was taken away to the airport’s medical center for tests, even while saying, “I ain’t from Africa.” He was reportedly coughing during the flight and some reports say he appeared “unbalanced.” An official with the airport says the plane was detained on the tarmac for almost two hours while medical and airline people made sure there was no risk to the more than 200 passengers on board.

http://consumerist.com/2014/10/10/heres-what-it-looks-like-after-someone-shouts-i-have-ebola-youre-all-screwed-on-a-plane/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:24 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/PlantB/2014/PlantB20141012_low.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:58 am
I think this is a useful article re the nursing care/ebola situation in the U.S.

http://www.voanews.com/content/reu-cdc-head-criticized-for-blaming-protocol-breach-as-nurse-gets-ebola/2482009.html
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 10:28 am
It is very hard to avoid the conclusdion that our ghovernment has been both inept and misleading in this matter. The basic argument has been that because travel restrictions aren't a perfect protection, they shouldn't be used. That's like saying that because the protective clothing and procedures used in tha Dallas hospital during the treratment of a Euboila victim who travelled here from Liberia and evidently lied about his potential excposure, shouldn't be used either because, as we have learned, they too aren't perfectly protective.

We now have a local case of infection from this disease and the possibility of more. There is no history of prior exposure to this virus in our population and therefore no likely immune resistance to it. The virus has a high mortality rate, and, although not as durable in the environment as something like anthrax, still very highly contagious.

Had the travel and border protections been in place the new Dallas case of Eubola would not have occurred.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 10:54 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It is very hard to avoid the conclusdion that our ghovernment has been both inept and misleading in this matter

inept???Hell no! They do exactly what tyhey have planned to do years ago!

WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 11:30 am
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/141013-when-it-comes-to-ebola-john-mccain-is-a-man-on-fire.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 11:32 am
Dr. Nancy Snyderman spotted at New Jersey restaurant during Ebola quarantine, draws health departmen
It's okay, she's a doctor...

The New Jersey Health Department turned into soup Nazis when it learned NBC News reporter Dr. Nancy Snyderman violated a voluntary quarantine placed on her and her crew after one member contracted Ebola while working in Liberia.

Snyderman, 62, NBC's chief medical editor, was spotted sitting in her car outside of The Peasant Grill in Hopewell, N.J., Thursday afternoon, Planet Princeton reported. A man with her picked up the take-out order.

Snyderman is a regular at The Peasant Grill, which is known for its soup, TMZ reported.

New Jersey officials made the quarantine mandatory late Friday after news broke that Snyderman, wearing sun glasses and with pulled-back hair, was spotted out and about.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/dr-nancy-snyderman-spotted-n-cafe-ebola-quarantine-report-article-1.1972199
JPB

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 11:35 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I did my own research when responding to Finn above and couldn't find anything either.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 11:40 am
if you want to know what is going on with this and Isis etc etc etc,

Read:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/35/The_Grand_Chessboard.jpg/200px-The_Grand_Chessboard.jpg

from the psychopath Brezinski, and then become mad & angry!

You should!

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 11:57 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
The basic argument has been that because travel restrictions aren't a perfect protection, they shouldn't be used.

That's not the basic argument I've been hearing. Who said that? That's ridiculous, if true.

Let me ask you, though. Now that Ebola IS here, Patient 0 has died, Patient 1 is in the hospital. In your opinion, what N do we need to reach before folks here think that travel restrictions on no/low risk residents of Dallas/FW are a good idea?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 12:14 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Grrrrrr, re Snyderman.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 12:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I know. Jail for a week after she is deemed clear would be a good thing.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 12:19 pm
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 12:45 pm
I think what we may see is a redefinition of high risk here on who needs to be monitored/isolated. So far, the only three transmissions/diagnoses that we're aware of outside of west Africa have had contact with "fluid producers" - people who are at the end stage of the disease and the virus is going into overdrive to try to produce fluid so it can live. Mr Duncan helped transport a young girl who was vomiting profusely, the nurse in Spain was helping to care for the priest who was near death, and the nurse in Dallas who was caring for Duncan as he was near death. To date none of the 48 supposed "close" or high risk contacts have shown any signs of the illness. Granted, the 21 day window period isn't over yet, but we're well past that point when SOMEONE with close contact could/should have shown symptoms.

Both nurses were self-monitoring by taking their temps twice/day. I would advocate this for anyone who is caring for someone in the final stages of the disease regardless of the precautions taken per the CDC protocol. On the good news/hopeful front, both of these nurses were quickly hospitalized and provided with viral support. One report this morning indicated that the viral load was decreasing in Ms Romero. This means that her immune response is kicking in and she's starting to form antibodies to the virus. Wishing both of these women a full recovery.
0 Replies