hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:56 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

It's highly unlikely, I agree. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the final outcome is that he has "worried himself sick". And, yes, an abundance of caution is warranted.

the courts will insist on it, making sense or not is irrelevant.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 08:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Obviously they are going to do the right thing and act with an abundance of caution...

our " abundance of caution" re terror attacks in America has proven to be financially ruinous, AKA not obviously the right thing.

Just one of many areas where America bowing down to the Gods of SAFETY! was a bad move.

Your logic has obvious flaws.

Geez, now I am taking looney shots from both sides of this issue...

Come on Hawkeye! Are you really saying a guy who was in the house of a confirmed Ebola patient who then reports flu symptoms shouldn't be monitored?

Getting people to panic about a disease that is easily controlled is nuts. But so is whining when authorities take the reasonable step of contact checking and following up on people with symptoms.

Either extreme is nuts.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 09:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Either extreme is nuts.

Yes, I have have seen reports that as much as 40% of the medical testing done is not indicated medically, it is done to stay clear of the courts in " an abundance of caution". That kind of extra costs caused by a poorly functioning medical system is nuts. We are not talking about looking at a "checking out a guy with a fever", we are looking at this:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/08/1412801561447_wps_65_DALLAS_TX_OCTOBER_08_A_po.jpg
maxdancona

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 09:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Really Hawkeye? You posted an stock photo (unrelated to the current story) from Getty Images? How about posting something related to reality.

You are spreading irrational fear as much as anybody here Hawkeye.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 10:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You posted an stock photo (unrelated to the current story) from Getty Images

you are factually incorrect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2785514/Second-person-rushed-hospital-Ebola-symptoms-contact-patient-zero-Thomas-Duncan.html
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 05:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Isn't that the best way to be correct?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 05:20 am
http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2014/10/08/20/56/Hq3mO.St.4.jpeg
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 06:12 am
For Ebola victim, US trip followed years of effort
For Ebola victim, US trip followed years of effort
By EMILY SCHMALL, Associated Press | October 9, 2014 | Updated: October 9, 2014 12:22am

DALLAS (AP) — Thomas Eric Duncan, the first Ebola patient diagnosed in the United States, grew up next to a leper colony in Liberia and fled years of war before later returning to his country to find it ravaged by the disease that ultimately took his life.

Duncan, 42, arrived in Dallas in late September, realizing a long-held ambition to join relatives. He came to attend the high-school graduation of his son, who was born in a refugee camp in Ivory Coast and was brought to the U.S. as a toddler when the boy's mother successfully applied for resettlement.

"His son had told his mother, 'I want to see my dad. Can we help my dad to come?' And they fixed his papers to come to this country," said Duncan's brother Wilfred Smallwood, whose son, Oliver Smallwood, is quarantined with the household that hosted Duncan before he was diagnosed.

The trip was the culmination of decades of effort, friends and family members said. But when Duncan arrived in Dallas, though he showed no symptoms, he had already been exposed to Ebola. His neighbors in Liberia believe Duncan become infected when he helped a pregnant neighbor who later died from it. It was unclear if he knew about her diagnosis before traveling.

More:
http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/For-Ebola-victim-US-trip-followed-years-of-effort-5810801.php
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 10:17 am
@bobsal u1553115,
So sad...
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 10:22 am
Maybe one need not to worry about Ebola, but about our immune system,.
which is of course weakened by vaccinations, wifi radiation, computerradiation, , lots of **** in our food, like aspartame, fluoride. sunscreens etc etc. we are bombarded by thousand of things that do surpress our immune system. Better strengthen it, O yes, FEAR also weakens our immune systen.
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:15 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
A test is a test. It’s supposed to register a true positive or negative result on anyone.

This isn't true. A test is not a test. There are screening tests which by design are very sensitive but not very specific (lots of false positives in order to detect all the true positives) and subsequent reflex algorithms which, in combination, are more specific for the agent in question. There are also different tests for different aspects of the infection. PCR is an RNA amplification assay used to detect viral RNA. Because it's an amplification assay it's not good at quantitation but is used as a qualitative +/- outcome. There are quantitation methods that estimate viral load in the sample. There are antigen assays which detect the presence of a virus by determining if anything in the sample reacts with a known viral antibody. These tests are much less expensive than PCR and are generally the first line assay performed. Ultimately, there are antibody assays which are used to identify an immune response by the patient. There is no perfect test, but no one claims there is. Testing algorithms are in place for ebola including RNA, antigen and antibody tests. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/diagnosis/
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:25 pm
@JPB,
Thanks for the clarity there, JPB.

On the worry side, I've been a bit dumbstruck by the goings on in Spain, re the lack of monitoring the nurse, then the flubups with the nurse. Her transport after when she first got a fever? I've only seen the return scenario, re from the ordinary hospital to the special one (the special one without respirator equipment, the one that kept her behind a row of curtains) - the ambulance continued in usage for twelve more hours. I haven't seen that chased down in any reports. Then there's the dog, poor dog. Long story. I can see why they euthanized it, as dogs don't tend to show symptoms even when they have gotten the/a human virus, explained on a site I didn't save.

I'm not clear if the transmissibility is super high when the fever is getting going or if it only rockets up as time passes. In any case, was she in any kind of protective enclosure in that ambulance?

I worry also about refugee situations, as in southern Italy - they are already trying to deal humanely (I take it) with the boat refugees.
And the continuing worry re the west african communities and how they are getting along.

On the non-worry side, I'm still not in waah, panic mode. Just wary about normal messups.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 02:08 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
It took quahog almost two hours to come up with that well reasoned response