From God's inexistence it follows God's existence

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:18 am
stuh505 wrote:
Your point is well taken. However, as I did state in my reply, I recognize that my inductive methods do not "prove" in the literal sense of the word. Rather...remove all reasonable doubt.

I fail to see the distinction.

stuh505 wrote:
How can this possibly be the right track? There is simply not enough evidence to prove it either way using this kind of logic...

Your statement demonstrates that you're still not getting it. By questioning the lack of "evidence," you're still insisting on an inductive method. irichc's argument isn't faulty because his evidence is slim, it's because his logic is flawed. Your argument, in contrast, isn't faulty because your logic is unsound, it's because your strict reliance on empirical evidence is unwarranted.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:03 am
joe,

your last comment is quite flawed.

Quote:
stuh505 wrote:
How can this possibly be the right track? There is simply not enough evidence to prove it either way using this kind of logic...

Your statement demonstrates that you're still not getting it. By questioning the lack of "evidence," you're still insisting on an inductive method. irichc's argument isn't faulty because his evidence is slim, it's because his logic is flawed. Your argument, in contrast, isn't faulty because your logic is unsound, it's because your strict reliance on empirical evidence is unwarranted.

1 - if this statement were true, then a correct proof of God's existence could be written from the premesis he wrote...

2 - both inductive and deductive reasoning require evidence for premesis. but for something like proving/disproving a God, the necessary facts will *never* exist, so a deductive proof will *never* work.

3 - Unlike deductive reasoning, Inductive reasoning is not designed to produce mathematical certainty. Induction occurs when we gather bits of specific information together and use our own knowledge and experience in order to make an observation about what must be true.

Quote:
Without an eternal soul, the concepts of heaven, hell, and reincarnation are meaningless. That does not mean that there are no gods, just that the Christian notion of God is incorrect.

yes, but using inductive logic we can assume that a God's consciousness would also need a physical brain and body to supply it with the necessary energy. and where would this physical form be? and yes, an all-powerful form could have had a hand in evolution...someday perhaps this can be inductively disproven by approximately measuring the rate that evolution takes place and comparing that to the fossil record. if it matches, then it shows there was probably no outside influence. but it seems illogical to assume that any form could defy the laws of physics. I'm sure that we don't understand many of our laws 100% (often just how they behave, not why they behave) and I'm also sure that there are more laws we haven't discovered...but if they exist, they exist, and in order for a God to manipulate other's DNA would certainly be defying some laws depending on how he did it. if he just "willed it," then that would be defying basic newtonian laws as well as many complex molecular.

Quote:
The brains of 6 week old embryos are not developed enough to allow consciousness or memory. Yes, they react to stimuli, but so does a robot. Based on the kinds of brain waves produced by fetuses, consciousness is probably not possible before about 24 weeks of gestation.

I believe research has been actually done to show that memory exists earlier than this, before posting I did some light research and read that memory has been detected at 6 weeks of age (up to 24-hours long term memory).

Quote:
Agreed that we have no reason to think that a god was necessary to create galaxies, stars and planets, but there is a lot we still don't know about cosmology such as what dark matter and dark energy really are.

this is very true. and into this list, i think you could also put the most puzzling question for myself: where did the expanse of nothingness come from, and how did so much matter get there? can matter create itself from "nothingness" over billions of years using some law that we don't know of? however, I've never heard a theory for a God that attempted to describe these phenomena while assuming that planets and galaxies evolved naturally Razz

Quote:
Faith is belief without proof, not necessarily illogical belief. Religious leaders can construct what appears to be a consistent and entirely logical belief system, as long as followers do not question the basic premises or examine it too closely.

Not according to my dictionary:

Quote:
Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence

that key word "logical" makes all the difference...

Quote:
But there are enough coincidences and anecdotal tales of miracles to convince many people of God's existence.

very true
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:55 pm
stuh, I agree that consciousness requires a system that includes data acquisition, processing, memory and output, but God's brain may take a different form than ours (perhaps energy patterns) and may not be limited to the 4 dimensions of space-time we perceive. God may have a physical presence that can manipulate DNA at a molecular level without violating any laws. Or perhaps God can choose to observe only those quantum events that will lead to the desired chemical reactions.

Since evolution relies on natural selection (and a measure of luck) acting on random mutations, even a precise measurement of the evolutionary rate would not tell us whether a lackadaisical God or chance was responsible. Certainly an omnipotent God could have done it in less time, but perhaps he was busy elsewhere in the universe.

Do you have a source for your assertion that a 6-week-old embryo whose brain has not developed the necessary synapses can remember anything? How could they measure its memory, anyway? Certainly 6-week-old infants can remember some things, but few adults remember anything of their first few years of life.

Presumably "nothingness" did not require a source, matter can spontaneously form from energy, and the net energy in the universe is zero (positive and negative energies are exactly balanced).

Merriam-Webster's definition of faith says nothing about logic:
Quote:
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

Faith can be perfectly logical, provided you accept the basic premises of your religion.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 06:24 pm
"it seems consciousness/soul is borne when the physical fetus develops to a certain point"

Don't link a conciousness to a soul. A brain dead child would still have a soul in many religons.

The birth may either create or gift you a unique soul. I am unsure whether the soul's existence is initiated by the birth of a unique human, if it pre-dates it and the linkage is divine (well of souls idea), if the soul exists outside of time, space and our reality.

You can't reliably impose physical laws to a metaphysical construct.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:26 pm
stuh505 wrote:
1 - if this statement were true, then a correct proof of God's existence could be written from the premesis he wrote...

How do you figure? The problem with irichc's logic isn't that it's poorly constructed, it's that it's irredeemably flawed. He's attempting to prove by logic something that is incapable of logical proof.

stuh505 wrote:
2 - both inductive and deductive reasoning require evidence for premesis. but for something like proving/disproving a God, the necessary facts will *never* exist, so a deductive proof will *never* work.

Just as an inductive proof will never work to prove God's non-existence.

stuh505 wrote:
3 - Unlike deductive reasoning, Inductive reasoning is not designed to produce mathematical certainty. Induction occurs when we gather bits of specific information together and use our own knowledge and experience in order to make an observation about what must be true.

I agree with everything except your antepenultimate "must," which is most definitely erroneous.
0 Replies

Ibn kumuna

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 12:13 pm
All I have to say is, if you're a lawyer, Joe, you're hired!

--Ibn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:04 pm
Re: Reply
Ibn_kumuna wrote:
All I have to say is, if you're a lawyer, Joe, you're hired!

You'll be happy to know that my rates are very reasonable.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:32 am
Ah, come on you guys.......isn't it perfectly obvious
that there is no God since no one can prove that such an entity exists ?
And as for the semantic gibberish being presented as "logical" proof of his existence....it does make one ponder a wee bit......any reasonable God would be hard pressed to accept
the amazing convolutions that the human language
is being subjected to , in order to "prove" that the Great One is really there.
What we all need, including your God, is a good cup of coffee.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:45 am
Joe :
Quote:
As such, irichc was at least on the right track in attempting to prove God's existence deductively rather than inductively. Of course, he failed miserably, but then that is the fate of all who undertake that task.

Provide me with a proof of that (improvability of God's existence) and I'll declare YOU a God!

Relative
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:52 am
I don't understand how starting off with (let's say) a single mathematical statement and expanding on it to create infinite "truths" about math proves the existance of god. You would have to prove "one" basic truth of everything, God being the "ultimate" truth of everything that you started to prove.

Also, you can't prove anything based on one fact. Syllogisms need two statements. You need two axioms to deduce any math theorem. Etc.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 03:41 pm
Relative wrote:
Provide me with a proof of that (improvability of God's existence) and I'll declare YOU a God!

Relative

Define your terms: what is "God?"
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:44 am
Joe :

My term God means 'supreme intelligence that created the Universe and has total control over it, unbounded by space and time'.

Relative
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:23 am
Relative wrote:
Joe :

My term God means 'supreme intelligence that created the Universe and has total control over it, unbounded by space and time'.

Relative

Very good. Had you said something like "God is a closed, three-sided figure whose interior angles equal the sum of two right angles," I might have conceded that God's existence could be deductively established.

One more question: is this "God," as you define it, perceptible through human sense perceptions?
0 Replies

Psyche

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:48 am
stuh505 wrote:
Furthermore, a God would be conscious by definition, and thus would have to have a physical brain and body.

Why? If God exists does God have to be limited to human form?

What is consciousness? Can you prove consciousness does not occur outside the body after death?
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:16 pm
Joe asked for refinement:
Quote:
One more question: is this "God," as you define it, perceptible through human sense perceptions?

In principle, yes. However, we might _believe_ one way or another.
I think it is of course possible to define God in such a way as to prohibit any proof of existence; any physical proof anyway. But clearly detectability in principle should prohibit this line of 'attack'.

Relative.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:40 pm
Relative wrote:
In principle, yes. However, we might _believe_ one way or another.
I think it is of course possible to define God in such a way as to prohibit any proof of existence; any physical proof anyway. But clearly detectability in principle should prohibit this line of 'attack'.

Relative.

Sorry, but this response has me confused. Exactly how can something be perceptible "in principle?" Are you suggesting that human sense perceptions could perceive God, even if, in practice, they don't?
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:21 pm
In other words : we might perceive God if we happened to stumble upon the evidence. But in practive, we might not be so lucky.

I do not wish to go into 'hidden God' models right now.

Relative
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 03:37 pm
Relative wrote:
In other words : we might perceive God if we happened to stumble upon the evidence. But in practive, we might not be so lucky.

So, in other words, you agree: human sense perceptions could perceive God, even if, in practice, they don't.

Relative wrote:
I do not wish to go into 'hidden God' models right now.

I can understand why.
0 Replies