Do you use St John's wort

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:58 am
Despite negative results from a recent supposedly unbiased inquiry, a quick Googling seems to indicate St John's wort really does work, affirming my own experience. If you've used it, (1) would you agree; (2) what dosage did you find effective; (3) If gelcap, how long to act; etc

New user should be cautioned of side effects with other meds

Incidental note: While PM might often be more effective than the equivalent OC it seems paradoxical--to me anyhow--that the former should cost 25 times as much and entail side effects more serious than the disease it's meant to treat

dalehileman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:45 am
@dalehileman,
Under "dosage" of course, how long you find one lasts
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:57 am
@dalehileman,
I once bought some from a well known auction site, and found it very chewy.

They also spelt wort wart.

Had an interesting flavour, though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 02:06 pm
@dalehileman,
No, I don't take it. I don't take many meds, either allopathic or alternative. I'm lucky I don't presently need pain killers (not that St. J'wort is one, just that I don't even take the usual off the shelf pain pills).

I read some no-no on taking it, besides the info in this link -
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/stjohnswort/sjw-and-depression.htm

but I didn't save the information, whatever it was, in my computer files. I've a vague recollection that it was about it not actually working.
I remember you consider that it works for you, though.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:51 pm
@dalehileman,
On my country St Johns wort is vey used by folks on small towns an d villages. I have clinical experience of patients that had indeed improved, some have not of course.

My honest opinion is the next. Allopatic meidicine is nautral medicine, the only difference is that allopatinc drugs are measured and graduated.

To make my point i love to use the digoxin example. The digitalis plant from which the drug is extracted was known as a poison since middle age. Careful observation of its effects derived on its medical uses. The British physician William Withering is credited with the first published description of the use of digitalis derivatives in his 1785 book "An Account of the Foxglove and some of its Medical Uses With Practical Remarks on Dropsy and Other Diseases".

Nowadays we do no go to a hill to attenpt to produce a tea with the plant, it will be too risky. The best option is going to the drugstore with a prescription and take a pill that has exactly 0.125 mg of the drug. With the proper follow up and regular digoxin serum concentration test we can be sure that we can have the benefits of the plant with a low risks.

One more thing, the problems with drugs concentrations in less dangerious plants is that it is highly variable. Many factors alter the concentrations for example quantity of rain on the season, quality of the soil, use of pesticides, transportaion and almacenation postcultivation, process of comercialization, etc...

So finally, i think the best bet are allopatic drugs with the proper medical follow up.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 06:24 pm
@dalehileman,
Just how many more times are you intentioned to drag this nonsense out?

You asked about Wort along with other o.t.c. products here:

www.able2know.org/topic/217881-1 as well as here:

www.able2know.org/topic/247042-1

Enough already! We get it, you believe in a highly questionable and often dangerous, even deadly item.

Now then if you'd like to subject yourself to quite possibly lethal entrants into your body then go fo ot. Do not however keep cackling and Squawking like a sterile ferret about it.

You come off sounding like Carlton Sheets or worse as a spokesman. Kindly stop!
dalehileman

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 10:42 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Just how many more times are you intentioned to drag this nonsense out?
No special plans. How many am I allowed and what's the penalty for exceeding

Quote:
You asked about Wort along with other o.t.c. products here:
www.able2know.org/topic/217881-1 as well as here:
www.able2know.org/topic/247042-1

Thanks Stur for those links, I'm flattered by your attention to my postings

Quote:
Enough already!
My most abject apologies to anyone else offended by any repetition for which I might prove guilty

Quote:
We get it, you believe in a highly questionable and often dangerous, even deadly item.
I presume then many of you hoping for my immediate demise. Indeed (at risk of repetition, do forgive), it does interact with certain PM's. However its side effects evidently not as frequent or dangerous as might be required to classify it as a PM

Quote:
Now then…..then go fo ot. Do not however keep cackling…..
Again Stur, at risk of rep, God help me, my most groveling atonement for having so upset your immensely perceptive if contentious psyche

….hop ing away as I am, dolefully on one fo ot

Quote:
You come off sounding like Carlton Sheets or worse as a spokesman.
Why Stur, I am flattered

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Carlton%20Sheets

Quote:
Kindly stop!
Can't guarantee anything but thank you again for the time and energy you so ferocioously devote to the downtrodden
0 Replies