India's Stock Markets Crash on Turmoil of New Government

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:18 am
Indian Markets Crash on Turmoil
Mon May 17, 2004
By Giri Venkatesan and Braden Reddall

BOMBAY, India (Reuters) - Indian stocks plunged as much as 17.5 percent on Monday in their biggest one-day fall ever as it became clear that a new leftist-backed government could be unstable and slow the pace of economic reform.

India's communist parties decided on Monday not to join Sonia Gandhi's Congress-led coalition, but only support it from outside. This added to investor fears over the stability of the new government, which is likely to be sworn in on Wednesday.

The rupee and bonds both fell, having been boosted over the past year by record levels of foreign investment pouring in to Asia's third-largest economy. The stock market crash wiped out as much as $40 billion in investor wealth.

The market turmoil forced the Reserve Bank of India to make an emergency statement reassuring investors it would intervene if necessary to make sure the banking system and foreign exchange markets worked smoothly. The comments helped dragged the markets off their lows, with stocks down 10 percent by mid-afternoon.

"There is absolute chaos and my retail clients have lost heavily," said Hemang Raja, chief executive of Bombay brokerage IL&FS Investsmart. "People are talking about foreign funds looking pull out $1-$2 billion from India."

Foreign funds have sold at least $500 million worth of Indian shares in the past week, or about an eighth of what they had invested so far this year.

"The fact that the left parties have decided not to join the government is a further blow to sentiment," Raja said.

The Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange suspended trade twice on Monday morning after their benchmark indices fell 15.5 percent and 17.5 percent, respectively. Both hit their lowest levels since September.

When markets resumed trade, buying by state-backed financial institutions helped pull both indices off their lows. The main Bombay index was down 10 percent by 0918 GMT after the Reserve Bank's reassurance.

Hundreds of people, including stock brokers and dealers, piled onto the streets outside the Bombay Stock Exchange in an impromptu protest against the incoming government, screaming "Sonia Gandhi Hai Hai (Down with Sonia Gandhi)."

Traders said the sharp slide was made worse by margin calls -- in which brokers have to deposit money with the exchanges to back up transactions -- after heavy losses last week.

The rupee lost as much as 0.8 percent to 46 rupees per dollar, before recovering in afternoon trade after the Reserve Bank statement.

STATE-RUN FIRMS SUFFER

Monday's share price falls, on last year's best-performing market in Asia after Thailand, were led by banks and state-run firms, particularly those in line for further state stake sales.

Hindustan Petroleum Corporation dropped 10 percent, Bharat Petroleum Corporation slumped 17 percent, and Shipping Corporation of India fell 19 percent.

"Everyone is in a panic right now, and no one wants to stick their neck out," said Navin Roy, a dealer at TAIB Securities. "Everyone is of the view that the reforms process will start sliding now, and that even if the communist parties don't join the government, they will still have a say in policy," he said.

State Bank of India slid 9.1 percent and Oriental Bank of Commerce plunged 17 percent.

"Hedge funds are selling at any price. The fall today has more to do with technical positions (rather than) any political worries," said Ambareesh Baliga, vice president at Karvy Stock Broking. "Stop losses got triggered, margin calls were made."

Political leaders appealed for calm in the markets.

"There is no need for panic," Pranab Mukherjee, a senior Congress leader and a frontrunner for the job of finance minister, told CNBC television.

But the Communist Party of India repeated on Monday last week's statement that there was no need for a ministry charged with privatizing firms.

"The left parties should not have made such statements before the formation of the new government. It has totally demoralized the market," said Sudip Kothari, a Bombay-based businessman.

"I don't know how much money I've lost today, but I've never seen such a huge crash."

Privatization was one of the biggest reforms of the outgoing government, helping attract more than $10 billion in foreign equity investment into India since the start of 2003, driving the Bombay share index to 73 percent gains last year.

The rupee climbed over five percent against the dollar last year, helped by record levels of overseas money flowing into a country which was among the world's fastest-growing economies.

India's markets have been heading down for two weeks since exit polls in the country's marathon elections first signaled that the pro-reform National Democratic Alliance (NDA) may not win a majority.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 548 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:47 pm
BBB, Some of the financial pundits in the US are claiming that the market in India plus the killing of the Iraqi leader were the culprits that affected the US markets today. One day market swings doesn't mean too much; it's the long-term trends that matters.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:24 am
Gandhi Declines Leadership of India
Gandhi Declines Leadership of India
May 18, 10:08 AM (ET)

NEW DELHI (AP) - Italian-born Sonia Gandhi told members of her Congress party in the central hall of Parliament on Tuesday that she would "humbly decline" to be the next prime minister of the world's largest democracy, stunning her supporters and the nation.

She did not say who she would nominate for the post.

"The post of prime minister has not been my aim," she said over a crowd that yelled at her to take the job. "I was always certain that if ever I found myself in the position I am in today I would follow my inner voice. I humbly decline the post."

Gandhi's Congress party and allies trounced the Hindu-nationalist party of caretaker Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and his Democratic National Alliance in national elections that ended last week.

The new Congress lawmakers shouted and pleaded with her to change her mind, and she had to stop several times to get the audience to quiet down.

"I request you to accept my decision," she said, adding that she would not reconsider.

The announcement in the massive, colonial-era building was attended by 145 newly elected lamwakers from her Congress party and her children Rahul and Priayanka.

"It is my inner voice, my conscience," she said. "My responsibility at this critical time is to provide India with a secular government that is strong and stable."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:22 am
Economic Reformer Top Contender for India Prime Minister
May 18, 2004
Economic Reformer Suddenly Seen as Top Contender to Be Indian Prime Minister
By Tim Sullivan
Associated Press Writer

NEW DELHI (AP) - Manmohan Singh, the 71-year-old technocrat Sonia Gandhi reportedly wants to be India's next prime minister, orchestrated the financial reforms that helped transform India into a regional economic power.
Reports on Tuesday that Singh could become prime minister helped send the country's stock markets soaring, just a day after suffering their worst-ever losses the day before.

"When the markets got a whiff that Sonia may not be prime minister that was the biggest kick for the markets," said Sindhu Sameer, chief dealer at Bombay-based Batlivala & Karani Securities. "If Sonia is out, then Manmohan is in and he is the poster boy of India's reforms."

Singh, an Oxford-educated economist who was born into poverty, is Gandhi's choice to head the incoming government, Indian television stations reported, citing unidentified officials in the Congress party.

The Congress scored a stunning victory last week over the ruling alliance led by the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party, putting it solidly in position to form a coalition government. Gandhi had initially been expected to become prime minister, but on Tuesday she said she didn't want the job.

Singh, who spent years in various government posts, was plucked from relative obscurity in 1991 to become finance minister in a Congress party-led government - and helped dramatically change a stalled economy.

During the 1991-1996 government, he championed a series of sweeping reforms: Devaluating the rupee, slashing subsidies for domestically produced goods and privatizing some state-run companies.

Perhaps most importantly, he ended the "license raj," the regulations that forced businesses to get government approval to make nearly any decision.

In a country where government-run economies had long been the norm, the changes signaled a revolution. By 2004, India's economy, which had crept along for decades, was racing at more than 8 percent.

But as the outgoing government learned last week when its campaign of "Shining India" failed miserably with voters, India's economic miracle has left many untouched.

While per capita income has risen in recent years, hundreds of millions of Indians still live in poverty, with tens of millions in villages without electricity, running water or access to even basic health care.
----------------------------------
This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAULK84EUD.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:48 pm
BBB, Most of India's roads are dirt. Before any economic development can occur, India must improve its social overhead capital; transportation, communication, education, etc., etc.....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:12 pm
Quote:
BANGALORE, India, May 18 - After two trading sessions of huge losses, bargain hunters emerged to bid shares up 8 percent on the Indian exchange on Tuesday, encouraged by reports that Sonia Gandhi was reluctant to become the prime minister.

Mrs. Gandhi's announcement that she had decided not to accept the post came after the close of trade, but even early reports caused the Sensex, the Mumbai Stock Exchange's bellwether index, to surge 8.25 percent on Tuesday, closing at 4,877 points, the biggest leap in five years.

encouraged by reports that Sonia Gandhi was reluctant to become the prime minister.. closing at 4,877 points, the biggest leap in five years

They should ask her to leave the f@cking country, that should send the market to even bigger highs.
0 Replies