Is Pi (3.1415926....) a Lie?

dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 01:23 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
it follows that π/4 is irrational and therefore that π is irrational.
Okay Con thanks, I had suspected something such. Now however I wonder whether the present system is capable of determining, eg, when (or even if) 20 successive zeroes
contrex

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 01:43 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
it follows that π/4 is irrational and therefore that π is irrational.
Okay Con thanks, I had suspected something such. Now however I wonder whether the present system is capable of determining, eg, when (or even if) 20 successive zeroes

Only by calculating the digits, and even then what what that prove? If you think about it, the circumference of a circle is a smoothly varying curve, which can be imagined as like a polygon with an infinite number of sides. The ratio of the perimeter of any polygon to its diameter (that is, the largest distance between any pair of vertices) is (obviously) a rational number (because there are a finite number of edges). Since a circle approximates to a polygon with an infinite number of sides then the number of decimal places in the number representing the ratio of the circumference to the diameter will never stop. Because pi is proved to be irrational, that means that any calculation of the decimal places would go on for ever, or rather, can always be continued. There will never be a never ending string of zeroes.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 02:01 pm
The truly irrational thing...

...is to argue with this guy.

There is nothing to be gained.

At some point...everyone has got to stop feeding.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 02:03 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
There will never be a never ending string of zeroes.
Thanks Con, yes, I understand that fully. But there will be strings of zeroes of varying length now and again. I was wondering whether it's feasible to calculate how many digits precede the first occurrence of, eg, 20 zeroes

….100 zeroes, etc
contrex

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 02:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

The real pi, that Dale and I are discussing, (as to opposed to the troll's fake one) is a very interesting topic.

Dale, I'll think about your question, I have to go wash the dishes right now.

contrex

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 02:13 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

I was wondering whether it's feasible to calculate how many digits precede the first occurrence of, eg, 20 zeroes

….100 zeroes, etc

My immediate answer is no, by definition, because pi is not only irrational but trancendental (these numbers are inherently random).

George

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 02:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . At some point...everyone has got to stop feeding.
Oh, I dunno, Frank.
I've read things from Quetzalcoatl(sp?) I might never have read otherwise.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 02:25 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . At some point...everyone has got to stop feeding.
Oh, I dunno, Frank.
I've read things from Quetzalcoatl(sp?) I might never have read otherwise.

I am sure everyone has!

And I do not mean that in a complimentary way. Wink
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 03:06 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
My immediate answer is no, by definition, because pi is not only irrational but trancendental (these numbers are inherently random).
Still Con intuition (mine anyhow) insists that given absolute randomness there must in fact be an infinite number of such strings of zero,of varying length. One might ask then why there can't be an instance of eg, seventy-four million consecutive zeroes

Of course it would require the very best computer billions, maybe quadrillions, of years to find it
maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 03:17 pm
I like my Pi with a nice Zinfandel or a Riesling.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 03:51 pm
I read about - at some length then but then I forget by now - about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl

So, we have an obsessive digger to disprove all present science, more interested in looming and pissing.

I take it this is a he. Anyway, I also assume he distrusts all studies. Some of us science educated do too, but that is the way of it, the challenging, working up of better ones.

Our poster is a myth explorer.
I won't say meth explorer, since I don't just know.
contrex

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 03:52 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
intuition (mine anyhow) insists that given absolute randomness there must in fact be an infinite number of such strings of zero,of varying length.

I take your point. In an infinite sequence of random digits, any arbitrary sequence of digits you care to name will occur. All the numbers in the Cleveland phone book, in sequence, for example. But this is just a re-expression of the infinite monkey theorem (a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare).
dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 04:09 pm
@contrex,
But now Con we have to ask whether absolute randomness is possible. Some obscure mathematical principle of which we'll never become aware might limit the possible number of sequential zeroes to 341
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 08:39 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
The ratio of the perimeter of any polygon to its diameter (that is, the largest distance between any pair of vertices) is (obviously) a rational number (because there are a finite number of edges).

This is false. A square is a counterexample.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 12:25 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

you are so cheap and don't evenn know it!

Quote:
The only thing in the way is the pride and arrogance of mathematicians who cannot conceive of such a notion that Pi could be anything else than what their books have instructed them to believe.

You don't even know WHY you wrote this!]

so cheap, so cheap..
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 01:19 am
Pie are round--cornbread are square.

Rap
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:40 am
Quote:
Before I introduce the main geometric proof, called The Fairywand Method, I have to introduce another infinitely non-ending irrational number, another seemingly scary square root entity by the name of "The Square Root of 5” (fig 11) absolutely critical to understanding the True Value of Pi and the basis of the upcoming Fairywand Method. Root 5 is part of the anointed Phi Formula (as shown in Fig 10). Root 5 (= 2.236…) is merely the diagonal of a rectangle having proportions 1x2. It is better to visualize this is a Double Square or Double Unit Cube.

The ancients referred to Phi as a Precious Jewel:
"Geometry has two great treasures: one is the Theorem of Pythagoras, and the other the Division of a Line into Extreme and Mean Ratio (the Divine Phi Proportion); the first we may compare to a measure of gold, the second we may name a precious jewel."
Johannes Kepler (1571–1630).

Without Pythagoras’ Theorem (the fact that 32 + 42 = 52), we could not derive the Phi Value of 1.618…
To know the length of the diagonal of the Double Square (Fig 11) we need to know the length of the two other sides, which are 1 unit and 2 units, and they must be in a 90 degree relationship. Calculating, 12 + 22 = we arrive at Root 5 (or √5 = 2.236…) for the diagonal.
This value of Root 5 is the essential part of the Phi Formula (Fig 10) and therefore for the True Value of Pi.

http://www.jainmathemagics.com/editor/assets/web-OsirisThroneRoot5_Gnonom_crop2_150kb.jpghttp://www.jainmathemagics.com/editor/assets/web-Root5_AltarForAaron_Exodus30_DoubleCubit_crop_70kb.jpg

more here..
http://www.jainmathemagics.com/page/10/default.asp
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:41 am
http://www.jainmathemagics.com/editor/assets/web-JainPi_3144ClockGoldenRect500px.jpg
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:44 am
Quote:
Fractal Mathematics and Nano-Technology shows that there is always an Area Under The Curve, so no matter how many times we subdivide the circle into smaller and smaller polygons, we only ever reach the limit of the circle. So yes, we can give a green tick to the "Limit of the Circle" as equalling the traditional value of Pi as 3.141592... but this does not account for the infinitesmal area under the curve that just does not disappear, forcing us to conclude that the true value of Pi must be a fraction more that what we thought it was, a microscopic more than we anticipated. This is why NASA are using a secret value of Pi that is a fraction more than the traditional value of pi.
It is encoded in the mathematics of the Cheops Pyramid.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:49 am
Quote:
Jain Of Oz's book on the True Value of Pi shakes the whole foundation of Western Mathematics. In fact, all the Mathematics books have to be rewritten, even related areas like that of radian measure and Euler's Identity. What will happen now is that the top Mathematicians from the West will be invited to meet the top Mathematicians from the East.An International Conference or Forum is brewing, to determine the final and eternal Truth of Pi that the Ancients knew.
It is in the mass consciousness that the eternal relationship of the Circle to its Diameter (which is really relevant to the Square) is 3 .1415...
The slice of Pi that we have been served is off and disharmonic.
Also, to the dismay of all the Circle-Squarers, we have been told incorrectly for thousands of years that You Can Not Equate the Square’s Circumference to the Circle’s Circumference, nor Equate the Area of a Circle to the Area of a Square, ie: The Mystical Squaring of the Circle. But now, believe that it can be done. Ignore all the bad press on Pi and Phi.