Justice

JTT

Sat 5 Jul, 2014 08:54 pm
'Arrest us all': the 200 women who killed a rapist
When hundreds of women descended on Nagpur district court armed with knives, stones and chilli powder, within minutes the man who raped them lay dead. Raekha Prasad reports
Raekha Prasad
Friday 16 September 2005 23.57 BST

A year ago Usha Narayane was about to embark on a new life. A call-centre worker with a diploma in hotel management, she was 25 and about to travel north from her home in the centre of India to begin a managerial job in a hotel in Punjab. The job would transport her not only geographically but also socially.

Like her neighbours, Narayane is a dalit, an "untouchable", at the bottom of the caste ladder. Schooling and literacy are rare among the women of Kasturba Nagar, the slum neighbourhood in the city of Nagpur where she grew up. She was unmarried, preferring to work and study. Yet nobody resented her success. Instead, they had high hopes for the girl. But Narayane went nowhere. Today, she is in her family's one-room, windowless home, awaiting trial for murder.

READ ON AT,

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/sep/16/india.gender
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 5,921 • Replies: 45
Topic Closed
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 5 Jul, 2014 09:21 pm
Whoa! Good stuff.
Buttermilk

Sat 5 Jul, 2014 11:45 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I disagree. Vigilante justice isn't always good. They gave the criminal a way out while these women still continue to live with the memories of being raped.
JTT

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 07:41 am
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
Vigilante justice isn't always good.

Isn't always? Do you think the perpetrator desired that way out? Do you think other rapists might reconsider their actions?
bobsal u1553115

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 07:49 am
@Buttermilk,
The article was the good stuff. Women who felt there was no justice from any other source did something about it. Rule of law has already done nothing for and is doing nothing for women in India, there is no justice and no safety. This was the extreme measure which was inevitable. Its good they did something. Maybe now the government will move to protect almost half of the population.
Buttermilk

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 01:52 pm
@JTT,
Because a criminal will not face an impartial system death only speeds the process of exiting this world. A dead criminal's brain will no longer comprehend the agony of these victims. In the movie "Batman Begins" Rachel Dahs said: Revenge is about making yourself feel better." Killing a rapist doesn't erase what happened.
Buttermilk

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 01:57 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Well India's laws was always corrupt due to the tribalism of its caste system, I mean, I sympathize with their anger cause after all, they're the "untouchables" the lowest class of people in that system. But the rapists are not the problem, its the system that sets the psychological foundation that the untouchables are objects to be used and discarded, not sentient human beings with rights.
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 02:26 pm
@Buttermilk,
I'm not at all sure that having seen batman qualifies you to determine how those 200 women feel. I would say that they are, and should be quite proud of what they have accomplished, focusing on the awareness aspect they have generated.

Regrets, I've had a few but then again, too few to mention.
Buttermilk

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 03:48 pm
@JTT,
It's more about the quote than the movie. If vigilantism is productive then having a judicial system would be pointless. There are other atrocities in the world as well, so should victims of those atrocities retaliate?
JTT

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 04:04 pm
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
There are other atrocities in the world as well, so should victims of those atrocities retaliate?

They do, Americans, for example, have done so repeatedly, based on lies in incredibly disproportionate fashion.
maxdancona

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 04:13 pm
@JTT,
I guess I haven't read your posts too carefully, but based on my earlier impressions...

I am a bit surprised to find out that you are in favor of capital punishment.
JTT

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 04:15 pm
@maxdancona,
I didn't say either way, Max.
JTT

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 04:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I guess I haven't read your posts too carefully, but based on my earlier impressions...

That might explain your usual confusion.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 04:49 pm
@JTT,
So I guess its ok to kill people if they've wronged you?
maxdancona

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 05:05 pm
@JTT,
Yes you did say either way. In this thread it is pretty clear you support capital punishment.
JTT

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 05:40 pm
@maxdancona,
How is it clear, Max, from your assumptions? Show where I said either way.
JTT

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 05:41 pm
@Buttermilk,
That's a seriously complicated question that would take more than a sentence.
maxdancona

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 06:02 pm
@JTT,
Come on, you posted a story where an accused rapist was attacked, tortured and killed without a trial, and you titled it "justice". I am wrong in my assumption that you approve of this attack?

JTT

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 06:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes, you are wrong, Max. It's not imperative for a person to always argue their own position, is it?
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 02:03 am
@JTT,
In other words if someone raped my daughter I have the right (according to you) to kill that person therefore overriding the local judicial system?