I want to believe

George

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 07:33 am
@mlairzk,
Good luck, mlairzk.
Stay open and honest and you'll be all right.
We're all searching.
timur

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 07:41 am
luismtzzz wrote:
That is how religions where bor initially.

You mean "a bore", right?
0 Replies

Syamsu

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 08:48 am
@Setanta,
That is your endorphin addiction talking. All that absolute certainty in judgement that you convey, is because you make what is good and evil into a matter of fact issue. You have no emotional depth.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 05:54 pm
@chai2,
Cheddar
chai2

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:46 pm
@dalehileman,
What a friend we have in cheeses.
LuxSpiritus

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 08:48 pm
I think people misinterpret religion. Religion is suppose to be about faith. Instead it becomes about praising a deity that controls all events. They have lost the meaning of faith in turn that everything has to be done ritually that you study faith. When in reality faith is just about being kind to others, and if you at least attempt to be a better person. That you're life will be a lot better. Some of the religious people become very objectified. Such as the Palestinian's and the Muslim extremists who believed that terrorists attacks would please their god by endorsing their religion. Jesus taught about kindness and justified that all humans should have free will and the ability to care for each other. If you did not know Jesus had many enemy's including a select few apostles. His message has been altered so drastically. That people believe everything in the bible is true. Religion misleads you to believe that somehow you doing the will of some "God" will make your life better. When in reality only you can improve your life. If religion promoted faith and not mixed messages than people wouldn't be so hard on each other. Religion is a strong influence when it shouldn't be. I believe in all religions since in most matters are very much the same. It's like 2 different books in two different languages. You can't understand one. But you can wholly believe in the whole you can understand. Whether they are the same or not.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 10:47 pm
@mlairzk,
I too, want to believe. I have had to come to terms with the fact that much of what we come to believe is tainted by a desire for either license or reward.

The truth, whatever it is, is independent of our desires. Be prepared for some soul searching.
Dracarys

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 07:59 am
@mlairzk,
Personally, I agree with Ragman. I do not think that turning to religion is the solution you are looking for, even believers may feel stuck at some point in their lives; this feeling is part of our human nature.
Your situation may depend on a big or radical change which occurred in your life ; even a simple (but not irrelevant) event might affect us.
Have you ever asked yourself simple questions ,like "How long have I been feeling this way?" "What happened?"

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 11:28 am
@chai2,
Quote:
What a friend we have in cheeses.
Chai, indeed given one of God's greatest gifts
0 Replies

mlairzk

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 04:48 pm
@George,
Thank you George. You seem like a very kind person.
0 Replies

mlairzk

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 04:52 pm
@neologist,
Thank you. It seems that the "norm" is to believe in a higher being. I just have a hard time comprehending that concept.
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 05:58 pm
@mlairzk,
There is no 'norm' when it comes to what you believe in. Even if there was, it'd be a useless thing to aspire to.

Quote:
I feel like my life has no meaning and Im stuck. I dont want to feel this way. My question is - How do I do this?

I find when I get stuck in a rut or have the blues for an extended period of time the most useful thing for me is to get counseling on a short-term basis. It worked for me.

You never commented after I asked whether or not you had children, or family even ..whether or not there was a death, a divorce, an illness ... so without any background, not sure how to help.
neologist

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 08:20 pm
@Ragman,
When broadly defined, any search for moral or spiritual enlightenment would constitute a s search for religion. I was once quite interested in Ethical Culture, a religion, though one without god.
0 Replies

mlairzk

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 10:14 pm
@Ragman,
I have three children, and I'm happily married. I have had several issues with my 18 year old and my 16 year old, but I really dont feel that any of that has anything to do with my interest in religion. I'm also very familiar with depression. I have suffered with depression off and on for years. I was on medication at one point. I have learned how to handle my depression and do not take meds any longer.

I just have this feeling that, perhaps my life would improve if I believed in God. I just dont understand why my mind doesnt allow me to go there.
wild4ranches

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 11:12 pm
@chai2,
Hi Friend,

Drive by a Baptist, Methodist, or Presbyterian church and get the hours of next Sunday's Services. Then time yourself driving home. Next Sunday, just pop yourself in the car, wearing jeans or a dress, and head for that church for either the early service or one later, giving yourself an extra 10 minutes.

At the door you'll be greeted just as if you are a human! How refreshing! No preconceived notions about who you are, how much education, money, friends, religion etc. you have.

There, you'll most likely be handed a little pamphlet. That's the order of today's service. It'll tell you the songs, or if the children will be doing a skit today, or if some of God's extra talented people are going to sing for the congregation (i.e., other people in the Church, now including you), and, it'll most likely tell what the Minister will be speaking on today. (He/she is also called the Pastor, Reverend, not the bishop, not most-high etc., rarely the Preacher anymore. You'll find out what he goes by just by observing, or reading the pamphlet.) --Actually, you'll not need to know until time goes by and you are ready to address him, if nothing more than a Thank you, ____ (Reverend etc.) Smith.

At the first and forever Church service you attend, you'll get smiles, nods, and handshakes. You will NOT be called upon to stand up and give your name, etc. etc. to the congregation. You will NOT be embarrassed.

They'll either have a song book in front of you, located on the back of the pew (long bench) ahead of you, or there'll be a screen up on the wall with the words of the song. Sing if you want, don't sing if you don't want.

After the services and as you're leaving, someone might ask your name. You can tell them your whole story, or just your first name and leave it at that. Smile, thank them, shake their hand (firmly shake both men's and women's hands; be gentle if it's an elderly person as they usually have arthritis).

For positive sure, either go back next Sunday and the Sunday after that until YOU have YOUR OWN ideas about God.

Find out the hours of the next Church above (i.e., if you've gone to a Baptist Church first, try the Methodist second and so on, until you feel you've found home.) --At each Church ask for a written copy of what they believe in. Whichever is closest to your mind-set will be the perfect Church for you! (Skip the Latter Day Saints (Mormons). Thought to be a cult and scary to get caught up in.)

Whatever you do, do not go by just what these other repliers are telling you -- stay out of Church, do your own thing, worship without a Church, etc., etc.

Why? I'll let you in on a little Secret. (And for proof, you can find the following "Secret" in your Bible -- New International Version is by FAR the easiest to read and understand!)

The Secret: -----God, Himself, goes into certain people's hearts and starts them questioning, EXACTLY as you are doing! He does NOT do this for everybody. Everybody is more than welcome to come to God, but, my friend, He, God, has been in your heart. He has chosen YOU. Don't be foolish and lose that. Again, it doesn't happen to everybody.

May God Bless you forevermore!
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 11:45 pm
@mlairzk,
mlairzk wrote:
I just have this feeling that, perhaps my life would improve if I believed in God. I just dont understand why my mind doesnt allow me to go there.

Are you thinking that your luck would change if you were to believe in God? If you were to believe and follow certain rituals and behaviors, God would intervene and make things go more your way?
mlairzk

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 04:09 am
@wild4ranches,
Thank you so much.
0 Replies

mlairzk

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 04:13 am
@InfraBlue,
No I dont think that my luck would change. It has nothing to do with luck.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 07:20 pm
@mlairzk,
mlairzk wrote:

I am a 47 year old female. I grew up with absolutely no religion whatsoever. Through the years I felt it wasnt important to believe in anything. From time to time I would think about going to church and try to get educated on religion. I feel like my life has no meaning and Im stuck. I dont want to feel this way. My question is - How do I do this? Im too scared to just show up at a church, not to mention, what church would I go to?

Hello. It seems we come from different backgrounds then, given that I was raised to go to church at a very early age, grew to loathe the entire mindset that constituted the idea of Christianity, and dropped it like a ton of bricks at age 16... And then, gradually, very gradually, over the course of long years, came to understand that I was just as unhappy without any sense of a higher being as I had been with the sense of a christian god dictating my way of life.

I found my own way from there. I have read about many religions, and I have tried to wrestle with myself regarding certain problems I had with the concept of an all powerful deity. I haven't found answers to everything. I guess I'm still finding my way in these matters, where I am steadily creeping up on 40.

My answers aren't important. I have no desire to peddle my faith, or even my concept of one, on to you. I for one feel that religion is a very personal thing, and that it totally depends on your personality whether you thrive within the rules and restrictions of religion, or feel burdened down by them. So I have mine, and perhaps you'll get yours. And you'll be happy with it.

Questions you might want to consider:
- Are you sure that it is lack of religion that you feel makes your life meaningless? Others have mentioned this as well, but you could be depressed. It's something to bear in mind, I guess.
- Are you comfortable with the introduction of a sense of belief in a higher power in your life?
- To what extent do you think/feel that this higher power is interested in humanity at large? This power could be essentially indifferent, or completely absorbed with our species. And anything in between of course.
- Do you feel that you need to interact with this higher power? That you need to offer up prayer, ask for guidance, ask for penance even?
- Does this need to interact remain strictly personal, or are you part of a larger community of like minded people? I guess I have answered this for myself above, but like I said, I don't want to influence you. Belonging to a group of individuals that share your faith, or perhaps just shares certain essential foundations of it, can be comforting and create a sense of belonging and security perhaps.

I don't think this list is exhaustive. I'm sure other issues are as important, if not more so. If so desired, you could perhaps accompany friends or relatives to a service of the religion they follow, just to see what it is all about.

Just my two cents, couched in a unwholesome amalgam of words...

Naj.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 08:25 pm
@wild4ranches,
wild4ranches wrote:

Hi Friend,

Drive by a Baptist, Methodist, or Presbyterian church and get the hours of next Sunday's Services. Then time yourself driving home. Next Sunday, just pop yourself in the car, wearing jeans or a dress, and head for that church for either the early service or one later, giving yourself an extra 10 minutes.

At the door you'll be greeted just as if you are a human! How refreshing! No preconceived notions about who you are, how much education, money, friends, religion etc. you have.

There, you'll most likely be handed a little pamphlet. That's the order of today's service. It'll tell you the songs, or if the children will be doing a skit today, or if some of God's extra talented people are going to sing for the congregation (i.e., other people in the Church, now including you), and, it'll most likely tell what the Minister will be speaking on today. (He/she is also called the Pastor, Reverend, not the bishop, not most-high etc., rarely the Preacher anymore. You'll find out what he goes by just by observing, or reading the pamphlet.) --Actually, you'll not need to know until time goes by and you are ready to address him, if nothing more than a Thank you, ____ (Reverend etc.) Smith.

At the first and forever Church service you attend, you'll get smiles, nods, and handshakes. You will NOT be called upon to stand up and give your name, etc. etc. to the congregation. You will NOT be embarrassed.

They'll either have a song book in front of you, located on the back of the pew (long bench) ahead of you, or there'll be a screen up on the wall with the words of the song. Sing if you want, don't sing if you don't want.

After the services and as you're leaving, someone might ask your name. You can tell them your whole story, or just your first name and leave it at that. Smile, thank them, shake their hand (firmly shake both men's and women's hands; be gentle if it's an elderly person as they usually have arthritis).

For positive sure, either go back next Sunday and the Sunday after that until YOU have YOUR OWN ideas about God.

Find out the hours of the next Church above (i.e., if you've gone to a Baptist Church first, try the Methodist second and so on, until you feel you've found home.) --At each Church ask for a written copy of what they believe in. Whichever is closest to your mind-set will be the perfect Church for you! (Skip the Latter Day Saints (Mormons). Thought to be a cult and scary to get caught up in.)

Whatever you do, do not go by just what these other repliers are telling you -- stay out of Church, do your own thing, worship without a Church, etc., etc.

Why? I'll let you in on a little Secret. (And for proof, you can find the following "Secret" in your Bible -- New International Version is by FAR the easiest to read and understand!)

The Secret: -----God, Himself, goes into certain people's hearts and starts them questioning, EXACTLY as you are doing! He does NOT do this for everybody. Everybody is more than welcome to come to God, but, my friend, He, God, has been in your heart. He has chosen YOU. Don't be foolish and lose that. Again, it doesn't happen to everybody.

May God Bless you forevermore!

Are you f*cking kidding me?