shoud teachers in the scholl or college be paied same

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:01 am
should teachers in the school or college be paid same in all disciplines, regardless of the difference of salary among related fields out of school?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,294 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 03:36 pm
Neo, May we ask how old you are?
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 08:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Neo, May we ask how old you are?

was i Embarrassed special? maybe, my english is kinda poor. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:58 am
Neo, Your English is okay. I was wondering, because of your semingly preconcieved ideas about salaries. In a capitalist society, no matter what kind of labor one does, whether it is professional or not, have varying levels of income even in the same city or district. As for teachers, it depends on the level of education and seniority. Therefore, college professors average salary will be higher than grade school teachers. Most university professors have a PhD where students can work towards advanced degrees, whereas grade school teachers only need to have a Bachelors teaching degree.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 10:06 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Neo, Your English is okay. I was wondering, because of your semingly preconcieved ideas about salaries. In a capitalist society, no matter what kind of labor one does, whether it is professional or not, have varying levels of income even in the same city or district. As for teachers, it depends on the level of education and seniority. Therefore, college professors average salary will be higher than grade school teachers. Most university professors have a PhD where students can work towards advanced degrees, whereas grade school teachers only need to have a Bachelors teaching degree.

Cicerone, thanks enough. due to your lucid introduction, i can understand the conditions well. In the relatively developed areas of China, say the east and south China, and in most economic sectors, it is the same as you described in a capitalist society, but public school teachers are excluded. well, i ruminate over this question because it is involved in one writing topic i encountered, i was asked to present my argument for or against the idea that teachers should paid same salary regardless of the disciplines they involved. you know, i am preparing for GRE analytical writing test. i searched material about this topic on google, find some article about compensation policy in U.S, but they did not mention about the discrepancy of payment among teachers of different disciplines in school and college Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:05 pm
Neo, Most grade school teacher salaries in our area starts at about $35,000 per year irregardless of the discipline. It was a problem in our area when the high tech industry was doing well in the late 90s, because most teachers with science or math teaching degrees preferred to work for industry where the pay was much better, so there was a shortage in those disciplines. When the high tech industry went bust, many in the sciences filled in as science teachers, because that was the only place they were able to find jobs. The unemployment rate in our area is still relatively high, and high tech jobs are scarce. Some companies are beginning to hire, but its very slow, because many companies are now outsourcing to China and India where the cost is much cheaper. These companies can hire engineers with PhD's in India for fraction of the cost of what they must pay here locally. There's a city in the south of India (I think it's Bangladesh) that has grown high tech companies very quickly, and have named it the Silicon Valley of India. What is interesting is the fact that during the high tech boom, we had very high immigration from India to Silicon Valley here in California. Some of those that used to be employees of high tech companies started their own companies here in California, and are outsourcing to India for the cheaper labor costs. That's true capitalism, because companies must compete in the world markets to keep their cost of production low. Many with too high a labor cost here in California have gone bankrupt, and we now have many commercial buildings sitting empty.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 05:20 am
you are so kind Cicerone.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 06:51 am
Ditto what cicerone said. Also coming into play is supply and demand of certain types of teachers. For example, there seems difficulty in hiring teachers for math and science whereas English teachers seem plentiful. In order to attract more teachers in math and science in may need to pay them more. In addition you need to look at location. A teacher in New York City would require a higher salary to live than say a teacher in a small town in Kansas.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:11 am
Here's one more information about attracting teachers to our area. Because of the relatively low starting salaries, many communities in our area are providing teachers with housing subsidies to attract teachers. It's had some success in attracting teachers to our area, but more needs to be done. $35,000 starting salary is at the low end of income in our area. The average salary is about $65,000 - one of the highest in the US.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 03:48 am
well, while the principle of supply and demand in fob market make it necessary for schools and college to pay their teaching stuff in certain discipline at a higher rate that in others, what is the fact in America? Is their some schools really paying their stuff in such a pattern?
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:33 am
I think primary and secondary teachers should be paid more than college professors, because they certainly do more for their jobs.
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:15 pm
Neo, I don't have a reply to your question- what the others have said seem right, but if you're concerned about your English, there is a spell-check option when you post your messages.
0 Replies