RIP Casey Kasem, 82...

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 04:45 am
Quote:
Legendary radio personality Casey Kasem dies at 82

Casey Kasem, who entertained radio listeners for almost four decades as the host of
countdown shows such as "American Top 40" and "Casey's Top 40," died early Sunday,
according to a Facebook post from his daughter Kerri Kasem.

The news was confirmed by Casey's Kasem's agent, Don Pitts.

Casey Kasem was 82 and had been hospitalized in Washington state for two weeks.

"Early this Father's Day morning, our dad Casey Kasem passed away surrounded by
family and friends," Kasem's children -- Kerri, Mike and Julie -- wrote in a statement
released by Kasem's representative, Danny Deraney.

"Even though we know he is in a better place and no longer suffering, we are
heartbroken ... The world will miss Casey Kasem, an incredible talent and humanitarian;
we will miss our Dad."

Kasem's longtime friend, Gonzalo Venecia, and his younger brother, Mouner Kasem,
were also with him when he died at St. Anthony's Hospital in Gig Harbor, Washington,
at 3:25 a.m. Sunday, a family member said.

Casey Kasem had been suffering from Lewy body disease, the most common type of
progressive dementia after Alzheimer's.

He had recently been the subject of a bitter court battle involving three of his
children by a previous marriage and his wife, Jean.
(cnn)

djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:29 am
it's funny, the first time i'd ever heard of Casey Kasem was in the early 90's when Negativland got sued by U2 for their parody/mashup of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", one version included the dead dog/dedication rant

i know now that their were canadian radio stations (and being in a border area an american station or two) that broadcast his show, but i rarely listen to any top 40 type radio

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 06:18 am
@djjd62,
He was a fixture of ALL AM radios in Camaros and TransAMs driven by kids with mullets. That was in the 70' and you have to ask your parents about the 70's. I have an antique 69 Merc Cougar XR7 convertible that had one of the first M ?FM radios as the cars mde these big changes to "Pre programmed music stations" Rock came in many flavors nd only grew apart.

KAsem had undergone some rather cruel handling by his kids in recent years, its a shame that he was so manhandled.

I remember when he had this rant about doing a dedication for some kids dog dying and then he had to immediately jump bck into some upbeat song. He flipped out nd ws on the air cursing (they managed to cut out the use of the word "******* dog"

Howard Stern played the full thing on satellite radio and it was hilarious.
engineer

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 06:18 am
@Region Philbis,
I was channel surfing this morning and the 70's channel was playing Casey Kasem's Top 40's. His legacy will live on satellite radio for years to come.
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 06:22 am
@engineer,
Casey woulda loved us to play this little bit he did about "Snuggles"
http://www.technologytell.com/entertainment/45901/story-casey-kasems-dog-named-snuggles-clip/
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 08:37 am
@farmerman,

f**kin' ponderous...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 09:44 am
He had a great radio voice. It was full of a youthful vibe that hid his true age.

His voice made him the ageless version of Dick Clark for radio.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 03:39 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
That was in the 70' and you have to ask your parents about the 70's.

i was born in 1962, but even being a border kid, i don't think he made much impact up here in Canada, at least not amongst my group
0 Replies