Pickled by the pickles expiration date....

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 05:40 pm
My flatmate has pickles in the fridge (two jars) both with an expiration date of May 2013. One of the jars has been opened and 2/3rds empty while the other one looks untouched.

Should I trust the info on this site?

Code:Product Pantry (Unopened) Refrigerator (Opened)
Past Printed Date Past Printed Date
Pickles last for 1-2 Years 1-2 Years

http://www.eatbydate.com/other/condiments/how-long-do-pickles-last/

Or should I just dump the pickles and recycle the glass jars?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
roger

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 05:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Keep them. One never knows what will become valuable to a collector at some future date.
ossobuco

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:00 pm
Me, I'd keep them.
tsarstepan

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd more interested in eating them. Not the act of keeping them. After all, he drinks my beer and ginger beer (with my permission of course).
tsarstepan

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Keep them. One never knows what will become valuable to a collector at some future date.

I wonder when the Antiques Roadshow will be coming back to NYC.... Surprised
ossobuco

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
I pickled ginger today. Lots of people don't like it, but if you like ginger, you might. Easy, and way cheaper than store stuff.
tsarstepan

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I love ginger beer. I guess if I knew what to do with pickled ginger then it might be worth the effort of at least finding it at Whole Foods. Is that the ginger that comes with sushi?
ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
The expiration date is usually the sell-by date.

I'd eat the pickles.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hold out for Antiques Roadkill.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
yes, though that is often pink with some beet juice innit, not by me.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I'd more interested in eating them.

Eat them, they'll be fine, and so will you.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:56 pm
Ate a pickle. Tasted fine. If I turn into a werepickle, I'll let you know afterwards.
chai2

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 07:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Expiration dates aren't written in blood. If you have a good cold fridge, just smell to see if it's ok. Not too far beyond the ex date though.

I was at the grocery store last Wednesday, in the middle of the day. In the produce dept. I stood next to a woman with a toddler, looking at those expensive already cut up vegetable and fruit trays.

I saw that there were a few packages of cut up vegetables on kabob sticks (mushroom, red onion, zuchinni, red and green pepper) that were at the "sell by" date and going for a dollar a piece. I picked up one to check it out, and the woman saw me do that, picked up one too, then put it down with a disgusted sniff and pointed glance at me.

They were perfectly fine. Rolling Eyes
I cut up the veggies from 1 package that night and serve w/ rice and soy sauce, and used the other one the next day in some chili (except for the mushrooms, they went into eggs)

People get overly weirded out.
chai2

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 07:35 pm
@chai2,
I picked two cucumbers from my garden yesterday, and ate one then, and one today.

I can still remember the death screams of the one eaten within 5 minutes of picking.

What a rush.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 07:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Ate a pickle. Tasted fine. If I turn into a werepickle, I'll let you know afterwards.

Wait a minute.

Weren't you the one who posted the article about a woman using a park drinking fountain as a bidet to clean her dogs ass?

tsarstepan

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 07:57 pm
@chai2,
Yes. That was me. Though I didn't see it personally happen. I just get the Gothamist newsletter and stumbled onto that story.
ehBeth

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 08:06 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
a woman using a park drinking fountain as a bidet to clean her dogs ass?

I saw that.

Brilliant idea.

I wish we had doggie bidets up here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 08:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
I tried to look your simple question up.

eh!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:31 pm
The ‘sell-by’ dates on your groceries are useless. Here’s why.

Quote:
But what does that date actually mean? It's unclear! The date can signify different things in different states. And many items stay fresh long after the expiration date passes

In fact, the whole labeling system is a total mess, argues a new report (pdf) from the Harvard Food Law and Policy Clinic. Date labels are often so inscrutable and differ so widely from state to state that they're essentially worthless as information

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/28/heres-why-the-sell-by-dates-on-your-groceries-are-so-worthless/
0 Replies

Joeblow

Sat 14 Jun, 2014 05:32 am
I always thought those expiry/best by dates were used to indemnify the manufacturer/seller.

As for the pickles, I'd probably eat them if they still had good colour and weren't rubbery.