Impeachment in the United States

gollum

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 04:07 am
Is there any specification to limitation on what one can be impeached for?

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 04:17 am
Jeeze . . . don't you know how to use a search engine?

Article Two, Section Four, reads, in its entirety:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.
engineer

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 07:27 am
@gollum,
The two impeachments we've had so far have both been very political in nature with very little "high crimes" involved. In a practical sense, the only limitation seems to be the integrity of the House.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 08:26 am
@engineer,
Best answer!
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 05:52 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta-
Than you.

I'm not sure what was meant by "high crimes and misdemeanors." Perhaps engineer is right...whatever the House of Representatives decide upon. I think it has included drunkenness.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:06 am
I suspect the "high crimes and misdemeanors" was a catch-all phrase used by the framers to provide a rubric for indictment if a president (or other government officer) were considered too overbearing, but hadn't accepted bribes nor betrayed the country. I usually don't believe others who claim to know what the framers were thinking, so i will offer no assurances on that point.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:10 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I suspect the "high crimes and misdemeanors" was a catch-all phrase used by the framers to provide a rubric for indictment if a president (or other government officer) were considered too overbearing, but hadn't accepted bribes nor betrayed the country. I usually don't believe others who claim to know what the framers were thinking, so i will offer no assurances on that point.

I agree. I believe the constitutionally operative language is in the procedure itself outlined in the Constitution for such impeachments - charges in the House; trial in the Senate.
0 Replies