Favourite novels about families.

Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:18 pm
I didn't read the whole thread, so just ignore me if these have been mentioned.

The Camerons by Robert Crichton

The Rougon-Macquart series by Emile Zola
(especially Nana, La Bete Humaine, The Earth: La Terre and Germinal)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:18 pm
You know, farmer, I confess I've never read McMurtry. Not sure why. But I've noticed reference to his novels by various US posters, fairly often. Maybe I've missed out on something here?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:43 pm
Just finished "The Corrections" -- quite impressed. Kind of the ultimate family book in some ways.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:50 pm
That's interesting, soz. Want to expand on that a bit when you have a minute?

Tartarin (who was quite an active participant in the early days of this thread) sent me her copy of the audio tapes, then I read it myself,later on. I'd be very interested in what you have to say.

I will return later. Early spring (sort of) & the great outdoors beckons! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:52 pm
I'm going to have to reread this thread, and then contribute if it seems apt.
Back soon.

Just off the top of my head, not a major saga, but a book that interested me, Memory of Running by Ron McLarty.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:54 pm
I'll look forward to that, osso!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:55 pm
Well, dagnabbit, if there is anyone I miss here... ach, there are some loved people... Tartarin is one of them. First of all, she is a corgi person. Beyond that, complexly interesting. Generous in many ways. Fabulous painter.
I hope she is well.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:00 pm
She was a painter, too!? I never knew that. Surprised

I really liked & admired her. Intelligent, brave & so much integrity! A very generous person, too. (as you can see from the gift of The Corrections tapes! I miss her.)

AND a corgi person! That makes her almost perfect,hey, osso? Very Happy :wink:

(be back later.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:21 pm
Tartarin sent me a sheet of slides of her paintings. Small, almost tiny paintings, witty, strong sense of place, unique. Practically killed me to send the slides back without copying them or some skulldugerous thing like that. But I did.
There is a certain trust.
0 Replies