Favourite novels about families.

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 04:13 pm
Typical American sounds good.
I've never heard of Gish Jen. Can anyone enlighten me?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 04:17 pm
Fbaezer

One Hundred Years .. Is one of those books I've always been meaning to read ... It has such a wonderful reputation. Perhaps soon? It used to be on the senior high school reading list here in Oz. Very popular!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 04:34 pm
Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel

American Chica - Marie Arana
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 05:07 pm
Hi Joanne

Haven't heard of American Chica prior to you mentioning it here ... Will look it up on the internet.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:28 pm
Was just posting something on another thread about Ian McEwan's "Amsterdam" but it occurs to me that his latest, "Atonement," is about a family, isn't it? It's been very well reviewed.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:06 pm
Also Carol Shields' "Stone Diaries" -- a wonderful, wonderful book.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:15 am
Tartarin

(puff, puff ..) So many books, so little time! ~ You must read heaps!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 10:06 am
No TV, Msolga. Makes a big difference in time available! Also, I've just discovered (so to speak) audio books and find that chores are much easier these days as a result. Confession: that's how I "read" The Corrections!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:32 pm
Remember when you were a child and you stumbled on one book by an author and got hooked and then looked for everything else by the same author? For a family story in three volumes -- THREE VOLUMES! -- that you get so hooked on that, at the end of vol. 3 you're begging for more, go to Naguib Mahfouz' trilogy, Palace Walk et. al. Beautifully written (and translated), you sail along through this story all too fast. Mahfouz won the Nobel Prize maybe ten years ago. Practically no one in the US had heard of him. So don't feel badly if you haven't either. And don't imagine that, because this is the story of an Egyptian family -- 1900 to present, approximately -- it won't grab you. It does.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:38 pm
That sounds really interesting, Tartarin. One of my favourite series is Kristin Lavransdattir, by Sigrid Undset. As old as the books are, and set even further back, they hooked me. A century of a family anywhere has to be interesting. Noting the author, I'll be able to find his books in the annex here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:48 pm
Naguib Mahfouz' books are recomended as literature for high school students (African studies) here in Germany.
(Don't bookshops do special sales after the nomination of the Nobel Prize in the USA?)

A list of his books in English:

http://www.sis.gov.eg/egyptinf/culture/html/nagfrm.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 04:47 am
Tartarin

I was totally hooked on the Cairo Trilogy! I read it a few years ago & couldn't stop until the last page of Sugar Street. Amongst other things, I found the daily routine of the family fascinating ... the daily rituals, the food preparation, the lives of the women, the world of the men outside of the home, ... It was a marvellous insight into another time & another place. And so beautifully written!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 05:27 pm
Someone ought to collect this list -- it's terrific. Maybe a website. Book blog.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:34 am
Tartarin

Yes, a good list, I agree ...

I'm just trying to think of novels about siblings -rivalry, loyalty, betrayal - There must be loads of them, but right now I can't think of a single one!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:00 pm
They keep popping into my mind but not necessarily when I'm online! For example, a book I reread at about ten year intervals -- "The Old Wives Tale" (Bennett). And when I glanced at my bookcase to confirm the second "t" in Bennett, I saw Butler's "Way of All Flesh," almost an autobiography -- three generations' worth.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:09 pm
Chesapeake
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 05:03 am
Bill W

Don't know that one. Who wrote it? About siblings?
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:48 pm
A fine, little known novel about sibling rivalry is THE BLACK SHEEP by Balzac. It is especially fun because the "bad" brother turns out to be the savior of the "good" one thanks to an intricate plot twist. Another great family novel, the best ever written, is THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV. I can't believe that nobody else on this thread thought of it before me!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 12:26 am
AAAAAAARGHHHHHH ..... I can't take it any more ... just gotta de-lurk

'Family Novel" ... what about

War And Peace Question

<re-lurking>

timber
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 12:30 am
larry r

How nice to meet you here!
Welcome, welcome! Very Happy

The Brothers K is one of those books that I had on my shelf for years, but for some unknown reason didn't get around to reading .... Maybe every one else whose contributed to this thread is in the same boat as me?
The Black Sheep I knew nothing about till you mentioned it just now ... Sounds like a "must read"!
0 Replies