blah blah blah

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:09 pm
ok for example if i go up to somone to explain i'm a christian they would probably say what the hecks wrong with you freak, are ou taking drugs, or really same here.
I don't really mind what they say as long as theyh don't try to kill me. I agree that punishment is a consucuens for saying things bad about god and that saying somthing good is just plain good. In other countrys people change.
Coming from me a christian everything you say about him is a risk. Even inside the church. Right now i'm taking a risk but really and truly worshiping god is all about faith and belifes.
Faith is the only back up we have to support we are christians and thats a risk too but itr is one i'm willing to take! Smile Smile Very Happy Smile Smile Very Happy Smile Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,904 • Replies: 23
No top replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:23 pm
with all due respect I think there is slight chance that those people are not considering you freak because you are Christian, but because you "go up to them to explane them" that.
I never had desire to go up to people to explane them my religious beliefs if they haven't asked themselves or we were all in some kind of conversation on that topic.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:58 pm
IMO, faith and adherence to religious tenets is a very personal thing. Unless the subject arose in a discussion, I would look askance at someone who started expounding his religious beliefs at me!
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:19 pm
Why do you feel the need to go up to anyone and explain your religious beliefs? Why do you think they want to know? Heck, if I had someone out of the blue run up to me and declare they were a Christian, I'd think they were a freak too, that isn't acceptable social behavior.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:32 pm
christer1

Before I post any relevant comments on this topic, please tell me if this is an elaborate spoof or are you serious?

Sam
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:47 pm
I'm not a Christian, but since the word "Christian" is a proper noun, I spell it with a capital "C".

If you argue the way that you spell....
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 09:04 pm
Noddy24

Aw, I think you scared him off this thread.

Sam
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:33 am
I'm a Unitarian. Not quite the same... we are a haven for recovering Catholics, Epispopalians, Jews, Buddists, Hindi, Pagans, etc. etc.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:47 am
Sam--

I'm afraid I granted lower-case christer's wish to become a conspicuous martyr.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:50 am
We should introduce this joker to the one in the "Why is it so important to refute Christianity" thread who has been ranting for Holy War against Islam. They'd get along famously, i'll warrant.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:17 am
My, three interesting posts... decisions, decisions...
In order of posting:

SealPoet,

I do not remember if Unitarians hold with the Original Sin and Eternal Damnation dogmas. Would you please refresh my memory?

Noddy24,

Martyrdom is the aspiration of all right thinking fanatics. Is that an oxymoron? You may have made christer1 happy, congratulations on a good deed in a naughty world.

Setanta,

Is there some way to sell tickets? The cooking oriented members could have food concession stands catering to the spectators physical hunger. I am sure there is a member out there with a strong grasp of hyperbolic and inflammatory rhetoric to do the announcing. Profiteering from religion is a long established tradition. (Ouch, I just bit myself, so much for tongue in cheek)

I actually find christer1 interesting, perhaps he speaks better then he writes? Without spell check and proofreading I might appear to be the dyslexic that I am. Ok, the truth is out Sam only types the posts. I, Witko her thinking brain dog, compost (No Sam, you idiot that's compose not compost. Humans, they think they know so much. Sorry, you are human to. Right?) all of them. Not bad for a two year old husky. Eh!
Well, bye for now. Time for my lunch, porterhouse extra rare. Sam, hold 57 sauce this time. Ok?

Witko/Sam Laughing

Witko is the Lakota word meaning crazy. It is true that he is my two year old, Husky god.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:39 am
Sam1951- The UU does not ascribe to any particular dogma, but believes that there are postive things that may be learned from every culture and belief.

http://www.uua.org/aboutuua/principles.html
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 11:24 am
Phoenix,

I like that, shows open mindedness. I was curious because, as a spiritually traditional Lakota, I do not believe in either sin or Hell. When we make mistakes, we learn, sometimes part of the learning is correcting the mistake, sometimes it is living with the result. Wakan Tonka, God, is not vengeful, you go back and try again, unlimited tries. Like a loving parent who guides a child to adulthood, instead of physically or verbally beating them into submission.
I was raised Catholic, looked into various other Christian sects, studied several forms of Buddhism, Taoism and practiced old Craft for about twenty years. Now I Walk The Red Road and pray every day, that all people walk a good and honorable path.

Sam
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 12:22 pm
Hey, christer1's hotlink for 'back up' leads to Amerivault...there has to be some symbolism there.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 02:16 pm
Sam... many spokes from the wheel to the hub...

Original Sin? Eternal Damnation? Not me, but if it's what gets you to act like a human being, that's fine! If Walking the Red Road does it, that's fine too, and if you're ever on this end of the planet, I'd love ot hear more about it!
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 03:50 pm
SealPoet,

I agree, we all walk our own path and all end in the same place.
Some people need a threat to keep their behavior socially acceptable. Was that an oxymoron? In some cultures it has been socially acceptable to cut someone's heart out and offer it to the Gods. In other cultures exposing yourself to a blind person was a hanging offense. What a world!
I would prefer people to treat each other with respect and kindness because it is good. The easiest way to summarize my personal philosophy is to be able to look into a mirror and see a person I respect.
For Lakota spirituality look under Spirituality and Religion, Lakota Sun Dance.

Sam
0 Replies

Globachio

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:10 am
Sam said:
>>>>I agree, we all walk our own path and all end in the same place.<<<<

Does that include Nazis & Skinheads? If so, why? If not, why not?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:53 am
to be honest - generally that DOES include Nazis. If they keep their opinions for themselves. I suppose everybody hear talks about opinions and rights to have opinions and rights to act in whatever way UNLESS hurting other. So if someone THINKS that all Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Blacks, Whites, Asians, Musicians, Baseball Players or Dancers are scum, yeah, I guess it's his right. Until he does not confronts any of those people with his bigotry.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:54 pm
Globachio,

IMO only... Anyone can and may belive whatever they choose. No problem! The only time a problem arrises is when anyone tries to impose their beliefs on anyone else.
Your rights end at my nose and mine end at yours.
Back to the first post on this thread. If anyone wants to address a stranger on the street regarding their beliefs, that is their right. The stranger can and may say, "No thank you.", that is their right.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 03:33 pm
I'm not too keen on being approached on the street about someone's religion or anything else. There is a concept designers think about called personal space that applies here. This varies from culture to culture and probably person to person, but is important to think of in various design situations. When I took a Design and Environment class years ago, an assignment was to test out, for example in a grocery store line, at what point the person in front of you would move if you edged closer (What an icky assignment!) and record the inches or feet.
I remember that the distances varied but they sure did exist.

If on the other hand, there is a stand where someone has pamphlets available, I could, if I so chose, walk up and find out about them, whether they are religious or political pamphlets or about some other subject.
0 Replies