ABBA, where Do YOU Stand?

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 01:12 am
They were never very popular in the USA but were a Super Group in almost all of the rest of the world. I liked them in the 70's which just proved how deeply uncool I was. I still love their work. I also like a lot Agnetha's follow-on work, though there is not a lot of it. I think that their last work " the day before you came" was some of their best, and it shows that they did not die from failure to develop or failure to track with their audience, this group could have been a super group for at least another 5 years. I understand that they were tired of each other and tired of being on the road (especially Agnetha), and they should do what they want (and they sure did not need at that point anymore money/fame/adulation) but I am greedy, I wish there was more.

What say you?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 03:39 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

They were never very popular in the USA but were a Super Group in almost all of the rest of the world. I liked them in the 70's which just proved how deeply uncool I was. I still love their work. I also like a lot Agnetha's follow-on work, though there is not a lot of it. I think that their last work " the day before you came" was some of their best, and it shows that they did not die from failure to develop or failure to track with their audience, this group could have been a super group for at least another 5 years. I understand that they were tired of each other and tired of being on the road (especially Agnetha), and they should do what they want (and they sure did not need at that point anymore money/fame/adulation) but I am greedy, I wish there was more.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTduYXf9s5s[/youtube]

What say you?

I wouldn't have known Abba from the Rolling Stones back in the day, Hawk...I just was not into that kind of music (and, in many ways, still am not)...but I got hooked on the song Fernando a few years back...and included an Abba album in the music I use for long walks.

I enjoy almost all of the songs on the album. Enjoy them a lot.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 03:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
You are a pissy ****, I can see where ABBA might work to mello you out some. I like them in part for the same reason.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 04:09 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

You are a pissy ****, I can see where ABBA might work to mello you out some. I like them in part for the same reason.

Amen! Wink
farmerman

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 04:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Where do I stand on ABBA?
Theres something I think Ive never ever used as a pickup line?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 04:28 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Where do I stand on ABBA?
Theres something I think Ive never ever used as a pickup line?

Wait, aren't you long time married? I think maybe some examination of timelines is in order.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 04:44 am
@hawkeye10,
Like most Eurovision bands they had a massive gay following.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 05:10 am
@hawkeye10,
I really liked ABBA both in the day and now. I have their greatest hits on my iPod and even watched Mama Mia (the movie, not the play). A few years ago I was taking my son to a swim meet and had a couple of his friends in the car. When ABBA came on the radio, they all started singing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 05:24 am

(FF to :55)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 06:29 am
@hawkeye10,
no, I was "In between" wives hen ABBA made their appearances in the 80's
izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 06:33 am
Where I stand on ABBA? well I don't have any ABBA records tapes or CDs, and I have no intention of buying any, but I don't rush to turn off the radio when they come on. When ABBA were topping the charts I was listening to this band (still am.)
farmerman

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 06:39 am
@izzythepush,
I was into bluegrass and jazz. Rock and other poppistic sounds was what we did with a car radio
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 06:39 am
@hawkeye10,
I was an Abba fan when I was in about grade 5 or 6 at primary school (in Australia) . You were either an Abba fan or a Bay City Rollers fan. It was obligatory to have a favourite member of both bands. Of course with Abba it was never about the boys - I don't think we thought either of them were sexy - it was all about the girls . Frida was my favourite. I remember Fernando being number 1 on Countdown (Oz tv) for 17 weeks. It's more nostalgia value for me now - not something I listen to.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 06:43 am
@hawkeye10,
I've also been a dancing kind of girl, so in the 1970's/1980's I loved going to parties/clubs where they played a lot of Abba. Great great dancing music. They were huuuuge in the Singaporean/Philipino/Indonesian crowd I hung out with back in the day of disco.

I've got some greatest hits stuff on c.d. I wouldn't rush off to see them if they reunited and I rarely put the c.d. in now, but I listen when they're on and of course I know ALL the words.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 07:04 am
Guilty pleasure with smoking babes. Music that can be mindlessly sung with while working.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 10:11 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

no, I was "In between" wives...

Wally, is that you?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 10:29 am
If you took all the ABBA fans and stood them in line the procession would stretch from Poughkeepsie to Peoria.

I'd be standing in Phoenix
Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 11:11 am
I liked ABBA, and i don't feel guilty about it. I like female vocalists, and i don't care about the genre if they sing well. Those women sang well. As for them not being popular in the United States, many artists should be so "unpopular," from the Wikipedia article on ABBA:

Quote:
During their active career, from 1972 to 1982, ABBA placed twenty singles on the Billboard Hot 100 fourteen of which made the top 40 (13 on the Cashbox Top 100) and ten of which made the Top 20 on both charts. A total of four of those singles reached the Top 10, including "Dancing Queen" which reached number 1 in April 1977. While "Fernando" and "SOS" did not break the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, reaching #13 and #15 respectively, they did reach the Top 10 on Cashbox ("Fernando") and Record World ("SOS") charts. Both "Dancing Queen" and "Take A Chance On Me" were certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales of over one million copies each.[58]

The group also had 12 Top 20 singles on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart with two of them, "Fernando" and "The Winner Takes It All", reaching number 1. "Lay All Your Love on Me" was ABBA's fourth number 1 single on a Billboard chart, topping the Hot Dance Club Play chart. The singles "Dancing Queen" and "Take a Chance on Me" were certified gold (more than 1 million copies sold) by the RIAA.

Nine ABBA albums made their way into the top half of the Billboard 200 album chart, with seven of them reaching the Top 50 and four reaching the Top 20. ABBA: The Album was the highest-charting album of the group's career, peaking at No. 14. Five albums received RIAA gold certification (more than 500,000 copies sold), while three acquired platinum status (selling more than one million copies). In 1993, the ABBA Gold: Greatest Hits collection was released in the United States and has since become a seven-time platinum best-seller. It also topped the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Albums chart (it also peaked at number 11 on a Billboard Comprehensive Albums chart).

When they toured North America in 1979, they played to 13 sold-out shows in the United States.

I also thought Agnetha was hot.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 01:22 pm
@Setanta,
I remember at the time a lot of chatter wondering why they were not more popular in USA...it was most certainly not like other places.

I was reading that the special sauce of the ABBA sound was Swedish folk classics....that would pretty much explain why Americans did not like them better.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 01:37 pm
@panzade,
Made me laugh, Panz.

I stand uninterested.

I probably saw them once on tv, eh! Never, I swear, never heard them on the radio. Not my radio..

Back then I liked what I thought of as tougher music of many sorts from many places. I'm was not then and sure am not now, anti swedish style in furniture and some politics, quite the contrary, but my take was - Abba boring, no matter how well done.

I too liked some bluegrass, like farmerman, so I wasn't all grit all the time, but had an antipathy to what I found bland. Gimme latin jazz.
0 Replies