How many phone numbers do you know by heart?

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 08:03 pm
Ten years ago I probably knew at least 20.

Now I know two -- mine and Mr. B's cell phone numbers. I don't even know Mo's cell phone number! (I should know that, really, if I weren't at home or didn't have my cell I couldn't even call him.)

I do remember my mom's best friend's phone number from the 1970s. I'd tell you what it is but I use the numbers for some passwords because it's so totally random. I can tell you that the exchange was RIverside. We lived on the poorer side of town so we had a LUther exchange.

Memory is a funny thing....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,087 • Replies: 7

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 08:14 pm
Tagger don't change your number
Iiiiiii want to make you mine
chai2

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 08:17 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Tagger don't change your number
Iiiiiii want to make you mine

Laughing
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 08:47 pm
@boomerang,
Probably 3 in total. My mother's, my father's, and my own cell number.

My mother and my father have kept their number for as long as I can remember.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 08:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
a dozen or so

house/cell/work/hamburgboy/a few old ones stuck in my head/about a half-dozen for work purposes that I either call or note almost daily/a couple of friends
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 09:30 pm
@boomerang,
I'm glad you say so, as I was trying to remember a tennis player's name today. I finally did after brain digging (no good) and word and letter association while sipping coffee.

I used to know maybe 2000 latin plant names while recognizing them, the leaves et al, and now.. I still can do it sometimes but some I have to drag stuff up from some sort of brain lake. This is easily from lack of usage as I don't work with plants anymore on a daily basis, but also - I know there is some erasure going on. Or so I think.

Phone numbers -

New York, 1950 - KI 60622 (Kingsbridge)
Evanston, 1951 - UN 6o527 (oh, wait? maybe it was 60927) (University)
Los Angeles - now I get into wanting not to say, but also forgetting. I'll leave it at that. I remember lots between then and now, but then I don't want to post those.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 11:22 am
@boomerang,
I am so bad with phone numbers - but I always have been so it isn't just the fact that you keep them in your cell phone as contacts.

The ones that I tend to remember are the ones I knew as a kid. My home phone number (still the same except the exchange), by best friend's number - not hers any longer, but her mom still has it, my husband's cell, and our home number. I think in part that you remember older phone numbers, is that people called and used the phone more often.

I can't even remember my own cell. Funny my daughter will tell someone when we are out what my cell number is. People get a chuckle out of that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 02:27 pm
I remember only two. Well, what the heck, I used to do arithmetic in my head. Then I got a calculator and lost the ability. Now, when I'm out of town I carry a cell phone. Sometimes I think it's worth more as a phone directory than a phone.
0 Replies