Hollow Earth

neil

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:17 am
I'm willing to consider that planets might be hollow. The smaller asteroids, comets and very small moons could be hollow, but likely are not, unless someone hollowed them out. With larger bodies strength of materials is the problem. No known materials are strong enough, not even the optimistic projections for CNT = carbon nano tubes. The interior of a hollow Earth could be filled with hydrogen or other gas at about a billion pounds per square inch. That would support the weight of the very fragile crust in a very critical balance. How could extreme pressure hydrogen get there? Why would it not leak out? What sort of creatures could live under such extreme pressure? The mass of the gas would exceed that of the crust. That would not be hollow by usual definitions.
Some claim there is no gravity inside a hollow sphere. I think that is wrong. There would be perhaps 1/10 th g at the inner surface, decreasing rapidly to near zero in a few miles, depending somewhat on the wall thickness= crust and the gas pressure of the interior atmosphere.
A center "sun" would require station keeping and very low mass, otherwise down would be toward the center, not toward the inner surface. The "sun" could consist of a large array of very high efficiency, narrow beam, artificial grow lights aimed at the spots where agriculture was performed. The rest of the inner surface would have about the light level of a moonless night = starlight. Nearly all the light from such a "sun" would become low grade heat, in less than one second even if most of the inner surface had the highest known reflectivity that modern science can achieve. That would make the interior extremely hot without a means of venting huge amounts of heat energy to outer space.
It is difficult to explain how any of these models would explain the behavior of seismic waves, which we have studied extensively. The source of Earth's magnetic field would also be difficult to explain with any of these models. Please embellish, refute or comment. Neil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 743 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Tobruk

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:21 am
Damn, I was gonna mention seismic waves but then you do.

Hitler believed in a hollow Earth and that's enough for me to not believe it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:37 am
Quote:

Some claim there is no gravity inside a hollow sphere. I think that is wrong. There would be perhaps 1/10 th g at the inner surface, decreasing rapidly to near zero in a few miles, depending somewhat on the wall thickness= crust and the gas pressure of the interior atmosphere.

What are you basing this belief on?

The "claim" that there is gravity inside of a sphere is based on rock-solid mathematics and well known physics which has been shown repeatedly by experiment.

Granted to have absolutely no gravity requires a perfect sphere with an even distribution of mass.

But it is easy to predict the gravity field of any body if you know the distribution of mass. These calulations are measurable, predictable and can be done easily by any physics undergrad.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:55 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

The "claim" that there is gravity inside of a sphere is based on rock-solid mathematics and well known physics which has been shown repeatedly by experiment.

Ebrown, I know you meant to say "there is no gravity," and you're correct that you can do the problem with integral calculus at the freshman Physics level.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 01:13 pm
You are right Brandon. Sometimes little typos actually cause problems.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:49 pm
An explanation of gravity within a hollow sphere: http://www.badastronomy.com/mad/1996/gravity.html
0 Replies