A rose is a rose, or is it?

chai2

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 10:04 am
When I look around or write my to-do list, I dread it when I think "I have to clean the kitchen/house/bathroom etc."

However, when I think "I have to tidy up" I jump right in and get going, and it's done in a jiffy.

In the same vein, the American way of saying "Doing the dishes" stops me in my tracks, but the British "Washing up" seems so much more manageable, pleasant, and kind of companionable.

Not in particular to cleaning (I'm thinking about it because I just tidied up), are there expressions/words you replace that get you more movtivated?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 663 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 12:00 pm
@chai2,
I replace the "abominable act", with "afternoon delight", once per season.
chai2

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 12:58 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I replace "Are you done yet?" with "YES, YES, YES!"

For some reason, it seems to be a better motivator.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 01:06 pm
@chai2,
We use paper bags. One has George Clooney's face superimposed, and the other has a young Debby Harry. They have breathing holes and everything!

contrex

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 01:13 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

We use paper bags. One has George Clooney's face superimposed, and the other has a young Debby Harry. They have breathing holes and everything!

Which is for whom?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 12:49 pm
Speaking of roses, Courtney Love put in her will to have a rose developed and named after her.

Courtney is looking for a new hybrid rose name. "I have it in my will (that) one hundredth of my estate goes towards the development of a silver glitter rose... just in case I get hit by a tractor in a corn field." She adds, "To say I'm not crazy about roses is crazy, because I love roses."

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 01:48 pm
Didn't Gertrude Stein say that? If not, she should have.

I have a suspicion rose nomenclature is trickier to obtain now than just by wishing, but I'm not sure. Maybe it is just trickier to be thought of as potentially popular and added to catalogs after all the work to develop the rose, which might be just like any other rose and may be prone to some sticky new bug.

On language tidy-up, I can be stopped by the word paperwork, with it's ramifications of trouble ahead on some occasions, probably because I've experienced that kind of trouble. Or maybe because I have the procrastinator gene sequence.

It's actually easier to think, I'll tidy the desk and then move some furniture. (I actually like moving furniture around.)
0 Replies

Jon Petruch

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 09:16 am
@chai2,
What you're mentioning here can be found in NLP (Neurolinguistic Programming i.e. the science of running your brain through language)

NLP maintains that the words we use determine our reality (Benjamin Whorf and a bloke named Edward Sapir postulated this also).

Someone can spit out that they are a "teacher" or they can call themselves "a nurturer of the human spirit".

Nike created an empire with a tick and the catch-phrase "Just Do It", which has inspired people the world over.

Sometimes, it's not just the word. Why, "I've got to get to work" can be said with a sense of ominous dread, and in can also be said in a cheerful get-down-to-it tone.

Words are important, and tone is also important.

The fact is we respond to our reality in either a positive or negative way, and our reality is created and formed by the words we use.
0 Replies