Can hackers, NSA, the manufacturer/brand company, or Anyone hack/spy on our personal video camcorder

Leitch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 07:25 am
Is this even possible can anyone hack/spy on our video camcorder?

There been reports that our computer, webcam, cel phone, T.v. and many other digital gadget CAN be used to spy on us that our privacy is compromise in this digital age,,

what about our personal camcorders, you know the handy camcorders we use video taping like our family celebrations, school events

Also, many camcorders are made in china,, is this possible China governement or chinese hackers or whoever spy on camcorders?

Hope to get feedback from people who know about this well,, Thank you very much.

View best answer, chosen by Leitch
Leitch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 08:26 am
@Leitch,
also, what about digital camcorders made in Japan
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 08:35 am
@Leitch,
How many "terrorists" were found by embedded gps location code in their posted photographs? LOTS.
0 Replies

jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 08:36 am
@Leitch,
Highly doubtful. No 'net connection while filming, right? Even if they could (in some manner) latch onto anything you were downloading, this would be such an enormous mess of data that it would be virtually unusable.

See, here's the thing. Databases can only read squiggles. That is, letters, numbers and some special characters (others are, like >, reserved for operations). That's it. They can't - yet - read images. So without any metadata about these images, or only minimal metadata, there's no context for spy agencies or anyone else. Your videos, when downloaded onto your computer, are named, by default, with a date stamp and not much else. How can an agency, which would be (by definition) culling through thousands if not millions of pieces of data every single day, be able to sort the wheat from the chaff? Images of your grandchildren are lovely, but they are hardly what the NSA or any other agency is looking for. Your videos, like I said, are downloaded from recorder to PC with incredibly generic names. What's the difference between your Image01-05082014 and my Image01-05082014?

Manually checking every video would take so much manpower that nothing else could ever be done. Checking it by computer is close to impossible without metadata. And hiring all those people would be noticeable, and using all that computing power would put an enormous strain on the grid.

If your neighbor decided to do this, he or she would have to be mighty skilled, and have some rather sophisticated equipment. If Joe Neighbor is doing this, then he's doing it to a bunch of other people, in order to justify the expense and hardship of buying or cobbling together such a system (which I still don't think is a possible system under the current state of our technology, anyway). Someone leeching all that power is going to be noticed by the authorities.
jespah

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 08:39 am
PS GPS locator codes are only readable if they're actually on the media being created. Again, it's what the system can read. A GPS code isn't too helpful if it's for Nutley, New Jersey, for example. If it's for Basra, Iraq, it might be of interest, of course. But most of these aren't of interest.
0 Replies

Leitch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 09:49 am
@bobsal u1553115

I think? i get what youre implying but That's not what i worry about lol!

I mean,,,, if with a lot of digital gadgets that can connect to computer or internet our privacy can get compromise with that,, what's left,, what digital gadgets can we use for Personal purposes where we can still have privacy in this freaky digital age?!? (It's no Stranger's right to snoop (and share to others for whatever purposes....) the Personal-- family, friends, school, gf, sexual etc. stuff-- i'm filming. Period.)

It's strange and quite scary (sometimes make me doubt if it's even True) the articles I read about all this spying stuff,, some are motivated by commercial purposes it's just unimaginable how some businesses could get That greedy they would Spy on consumers for profit,, Hackers spying on you to sell your intimate moments with your partner to some creepy websites,, and there's endless possibilities that can make you quite worry..

Many people commented on such articles they dont want to use a lot of these digital gadgets anymore while others opt to covering their laptop camera, cel phone camera, kitchen gadgets, bedroom gadgets, digi box, T.v.! Lol

what the world is coming to...

Leitch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 10:09 am
@jespah,
@jespah
no 'net connection while filming.
I'm not sofisticated about this stuff youre saying but i can understand many of the idea,, Thanks a lot for explanation.

btw, the camcorder come with:
AV OUT terminal: for connecting it to T.v.
USB terminal: for connecting it to computer

what about camcorder memory card issue?

i'm dummy about this,, is it possible for hackers or Whoever Lol who might be interested to implant some spying malware on memory cards??!
jespah

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:50 am
@Leitch,
It's not impossible (theoretically), but the effort is expensive, time-consuming and, above all, large.

The thing about conspiracy theories is, they fall apart if somebody squeals. And when something on a very large scale is attempted, there are perhaps thousands of opportunities for various people to spill the beans, either of their own accord, or through coercion, or bribery, or revenge, or they just plain forget.

Consider this. Have you ever tried to plan a surprise birthday party where there were 25 guests? Usually, even in such a small group, someone screws up and tells, or they let on in some way or another.

E. g. I knew when my bridal shower was because my folks were insisting on a particular weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday. It seemed fishy and I put it all together easily. Now imagine a surprise birthday party where there are a thousand guests (because if you were to do this on the kind of scale you're imagining, there would have to be a team of engineers inventing this, hundreds of people working in factories in order to implement and test the software, and then a large crew monitoring the transmissions and, as I said before, sifting through them to try to find something useful). At 40 times the number of people, the chances of a slip up are even higher.

And this is over time, too - it would be neverending. People would have to take this secret to their graves, presumably on pain of death. Even mobsters have trouble enforcing stuff like that.
Leitch

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:32 am
@jespah,
Gotcha.

Reading all about this strange spying stuff makes you Imagine a lot of things...
I was imagining could be the manufacturer/brand company Somehow have access to the recorded stuff?!

Or maybe, at least the ones made in China, could have Implanted spyware (by the government ,or by the manufacturers or maybe some hackers for whatever purpose like commercial profit perhaps?!

Your explanations make sense,, My imagination run wild Lol.. Thanks you.
jespah

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:36 am
@Leitch,
No sweat, and thanks for the shiny ribbon!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 09:01 am
@Leitch,
I'm saying there is a lot of hidden information available on our cameras, phones, computers, that could be wildly misused and is relatively easy for the sophisticated to harvest and misuse.
0 Replies