Lakota Sun Dance

Sam1951

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:03 pm
Hi Vivien, Margo and Misti26,

Unfortunately I'm not the fastest typist and my original post timed out. Drat!

The Sun Dance like anything really can be looked at in many ways. You can get the old form of the Sun Dance from , www.elexicon.com, and general cultural and historical information form, www.lakota.com and puffin.creighton.edu/lakota/. Any of the Black Elk books are excellent references but for the Sacred Rites the best one is The Sacred Pipe (ISBN 0-8061-2124-6) So much for references, background and history.

The present day Sun Dance:
The Sun Dance I will be participating in is held in Missouri, on a twenty acre parcel of farm land. The Arbor is about forty-four feet in diameter, made of upright posts (tree trunks) and roofed over with pine boughs for shade. In the center of the Arbor is the Tree of Life. A Cottonwood specially selected and Ceremonially cut. At no time is the tree allowed to touch the earth once it is cut. Traditionally the last cut that fells the tree is made by a virgin girl.
The Tree of Life is brought into the Arbor and set upright in the prepared hole along with Spirit Food and Medicine plants. This is the first official day of Sun Dance although the Dancers will have been on site for several days before hand for purification Inipi (sweat lodges) and to set up the Arbor and their camp area. Once the Tree of Life is in place all present attend a feast, the last meal the Dancers will have for the next four days.
The actual conduct of The Sun Dance depends on the Chief and the Intercessor, sometimes the same person. Each day begins with an Inipi. There are four round s of dancing every day, each round is form four to six hours long, with rest periods in between. During the rest periods those requiring food or medicine because of health issues (diabetes, heart conditions etc.) are allowed to eat and drink as needed. We don't want anyone to suffer from serious ill health because of the Ceremony. At the end of every round the Canunpa (Sacred Pipe) is smoked to offer prayers to The Creator and at the end of every day all of the Dancers all have another Inipi.
The third day is the healing day and the Dancers pray for those who come to the Arbor and touch them with their Eagle feathers to take away pain and illness. This is also known as the Heyoka (contrary or Sacred Clown) day when people known to be Heyoka behave badly to teach lessons.
Piercing also begins on the third day. This is the bit some people find disturbing. Usually the Intercessor does the piercing. He makes incisions in the skin of the Dancer, (men are pierced on the upper chest or upper back, women are pierced on the upper arm or fore arm) and inserts piercing pegs. Rawhide ropes are fastened to the pegs and tied to the Tree of Life or buffalo skulls, for men ; women have Eagle feathers attached to theirs. The object is to pull free, men pulling against the Tree or skulls women have Elder women pull the feathers off. OK, yes the skin is torn in the process, yes it hurts it is after all a sacrifice for The People. Some of the men choose or are directed by The Spirits to fly. They are suspended from the Tree until they break free. The wounds are treated with Medicine plants ( yarrow, sage etc.)
The forth day continues the piercing until all of the Dancers who are going to be pierced have done so. After the final Inipi there is another feast for everyone.

Some other interesting information about Sun Dancers:
Traditionally they are celibate during the whole of their commitment. They must not use recreational drugs or alcohol and are not allowed to fight or shed blood in anger. In short they are to be the best people possible. As far as I know all Sun Dancers Carry a Canunpa, and as such do not cut their hair, lie, steal or consume alcohol.

My Perspective:
Why do I Sun Dance? I Dance for The People not just the Oglala or the Lakota but for all mankind. I Dance in the hope that everyone everywhere learn to treat one another with respect, honor and honesty. I Dance for The Grandmother (The Earth); to end pollution of all kinds, to restore the land, air and water to their natural clean and wholesome state. I Dance for all living things for the plants, the animals, the insects, for the rocks, the water, the air and the land because The Creator made all and we are all related to everything. I could go on and on but... Last of all I Dance to be the person I can admire.

Sam
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,616 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:16 pm
I learned of the Sun Dance through reading of the life and work of Fakir Musafar. While not my cup of tea, I was fascinated by the internal spiritual logic of the ceremony.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:41 pm
That's beautiful Sam.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:03 pm
Hi Cavfancier,

I like your signature. Throw in a computer and unlimited internet and I'll get in line.

Considering your profession you might be more interested in the culinary logistics of Sun Dance. Last year we served an average of one-hundred- fifty people three meals a day plus coffee and snacks round the clock. There were at least double that number for the feasts. Not to mention the whole buffalo we needed to butcher. All this activity in a 10 by 15 foot cook shack, no refrigerator and three two burner camp stoves. Not your average restaurant kitchen.
This year I intend to stay away from food preparation. Dancing only, that way I get regular rest periods and sleep.

Sam
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:09 pm
Sam1951 wrote:
Hi Cavfancier,

I like your signature. Throw in a computer and unlimited internet and I'll get in line.

Considering your profession you might be more interested in the culinary logistics of Sun Dance. Last year we served an average of one-hundred- fifty people three meals a day plus coffee and snacks round the clock. There were at least double that number for the feasts. Not to mention the whole buffalo we needed to butcher. All this activity in a 10 by 15 foot cook shack, no refrigerator and three two burner camp stoves. Not your average restaurant kitchen.
This year I intend to stay away from food preparation. Dancing only, that way I get regular rest periods and sleep.

Sam

Tell me more, Sam...I'm on cable so always online, whether or not I am near the computer.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:32 am
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 04:51 am
Hi Sam, fascinating story. It also sounds like the catering from hell. Smile I suppose as a professional, this is the sort of thing I dread and look forward to at the same time, dread for the work, look forward for the challenge.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:00 am
thanks for all that fascinating insight - I'm off to work so can't follow the links now but will do tonight.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:48 am
Sam, a question:

Is the sun dance an expression of worship or more of an expression of cultural heritage kind of thing? Do the dancers expect any kind of result?

I'm thinking how it was rather humorous but still made you think when some folks in Iowa were experiencing a severe drought once invited some of our New Mexico Zuni rain dancers to come to Iowa. Twelve inches of rain later, the Iowans were suggesting the dancers go home. Of such are true believers made. Smile
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 11:36 am
Good day Foxfyre.

Quote:
Is the sun dance an expression of worship or more of an expression of cultural heritage kind of thing?

That's a good question and relatively easy to answer. Yes. As with most nature based belief systems there is no definitive line between culture and belief. Native peoples usually don't try to compartmentalize things the way industrialized people do. There is a constant interplay with the spiritual. The way you dress, behave, what you will and will not eat all have a basis in belief. For example: I do not cut my hair, consume alcohol, lie cheat, steal or shed blood in anger because I carry a Canunpa. There are certain animals I will not eat because of a strong spiritual connection. For us separating culture from belief is like trying to go between a tree.

Quote:
Do the dancers expect any kind of result?

Again the answer is yes. I tend to be a kind of purist, praying for the people, The Grandmother and for mending the hoop. Others pray for other things, ie a new car, more money, the ability to conceive, the list is endless. We expect results and often get them.

Quote:
I'm thinking how it was rather humorous but still made you think when some folks in Iowa were experiencing a severe drought once invited some of our New Mexico Zuni rain dancers to come to Iowa. Twelve inches of rain later, the Iowans were suggesting the dancers go home. Of such are true believers made. Smile

Laughing I like that so much I'll give you a story, not third party but personal. This happened to me in Chalis, BC three years ago. The Two Spirit gathering had just ended and Billie and were left to dismantle the Inipi frame. For your information this is a hemispherical construction composed of saplings tied in place with strips of bark. While Billie loaded the saplings into the truck for proper disposal in the Fraser River. I was going to burn the bark ties on a raised platform that had been used for the Sacred Fire. I tested the ashes by stirring them to a depth of my hand. Not a trace of heat or live coals. I piled all of the bark onto the ashed and turned to get a lighter from the truck. I had not gone moore than two steps when I looked back, all of the bark was in flames. There is no rational explanation for what happened.

I hope that my answers are satisfactory and perhaps will bring up more questions. Smile

Sam
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:13 am
Kevin Locke and His CD 'Open Circle'
Reading this thread I was reminded of the pleasure I got in listening to Kevin Locke the pre-eminent player of the traditional northern plains flute. It says on the CD cover of Open Circle that this is his 11th album. His music is deeply rooted in his Lakota culture. Kevin quotes the words of Crazy Horse, Red Cloud and Sitting Bull in relation to "the 7th generation." Does anyone know anything about this Indian prophecy?-Ron Price, Tasmania. Arrow
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:27 am
That's Enough For Now
I came across some sites on prophecy, Lakota and Kevin Locke. Here is a sample...to answer my own question...18 months after asking it. Arrow

An e-mail came from Kevin Locke, a member of the Lakota tribe, part of the native American Indian Sioux nation.....Kevin Locke already a cultural star, was set to dazzle people in Kathmandu with his traditional hoop dance reflecting the unity of humankind'. "When he sent me an e-mail, I thought he was the perfect person to bring over for the environmental concert." In between then and now, there were travels through the different native American Indian tribal nations, looking for tribal art, meaningful time spent in a Red Indian sweat lodge, and always running into the same prophecy. "I met a woman and asked her why all the tribes had the same prophecy and she said because it's the truth, which made perfect sense," the band leader says.
_______________________________...that's enough for now.-Ron Price, Tasmania. Idea
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:56 am
I've just discovered this thread (thanks for "bumping" it Ron) and it has inspired me to dig out and re-read a brilliant book from the past.

"The Dull Knives of Pine Ridge". One of the best "history" books I've read.

Tracing the history of one family in the Uglala (sp?) tribe, right the way through from before the time of the paleface, through to the modern day.
From Chiefs and Buffalo hunts, to the massacre at wounded knee, through to travelling with Wild Bill Hickok through Europe, and on to fighting in Vietnam.

Wonderful stuff.
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:04 am
Thanks To Lord Ellpus
After 18 months absense from this site, I was pleased to read your response to my posting today. I thank you and wish you well in your journey.-Ron Arrow
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:37 am
I always talk to people from Tas, Ron.

I have a sister who lives in Beauty Point.

Enjoying the summer weather, are you?
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:16 am
It's A Small World, eh Ellpus?
Summer is delightful here. So far no temperatures over 24. I like it cool.-Ron
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:15 am
Ha! That's exactly why my sister moved over there from Perth (WA, not Scotland).
She had been living in Perth for about fifteen years and in the end, just got sick of nothing but blue skies, drought and heat.
She and her partner moved to Tas about three years ago, and bought the same size property for about half the price. She loves Tas, and says it's wonderful to see the odd grey sky now and then, and to have some frost (even snow) in winter.
Her back garden overlooks a wonderful bay, and she very quickly found a job in Launceston, and has settled in well.
I keep promising to go over for a holiday......one day...one day...

Enjoy your "cool" summer, mate. We could do with some of that over here at the moment.
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:27 pm
I've just discovered this thread.
Thank you, Sam, for starting it & to everyone for replying.
It's been so interesting reading it all. Very Happy

I've always felt a connection to the Lakota people & their culture.
I love their music. I have one of Kevin Locke's cds I listen to.

My connection is with a Lakota Chief Touch The Clouds,
who was Crazy Horse's cousin.
Many years ago, I found a photo of him in a store over here (Australia)
and it 'spoke' to me. So much that I had to find out about him.

I'm always interested in learning anything about the Lakota & any of the Native Americans.

I realise your post is old, Sam, but I hope you come back & share more stories with us. Very Happy
0 Replies