Help - how to repair oil painting

mccw

Tue 6 May, 2014 11:45 am
Hi - I bought two paintings at a charity auction and when I picked them up, the paintings were facing each other in a bag and were stuck. When I delicately separated them, a piece of one of the oil paintings (a small tacky piece) came off. I was able to place it back in its original spot, but I would like to smooth it out. Ideas?

jespah

Tue 6 May, 2014 12:17 pm
@mccw,
Maybe contact a local college which has an arts program, and see if they know or if a student might want to try his/her hand at some conservation and restoration techniques. Be prepared for it not working out exactly as you were hoping, I might add (even expert restorers can occasionally screw up). But I think this would be more likely to be successful or at least adequate, than attempting the repairs yourself.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 6 May, 2014 01:45 pm
@mccw,
Do what jes says because if the paintings are reasonably valuable or more, repairs are ok, if done competently.

I know youre gonna run for some acetone to take up and re-glue the lost part. DONT!!
ossobuco

Tue 6 May, 2014 01:47 pm
@farmerman,
I agree with Jespah and you..
0 Replies