IKEA Bed Slat repair

GPag

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2023 09:40 am
Someone has asked me to help fix their IKEA queen bed frame slats to prevent them from falling out, which seems to be a pretty common problem. The slat configuration is the one that has two rows of slats, the outer ends of the slats sitting on the outer frame and the inner ends a middle support bar.
I’ve googled several repair methods and have decided to screw the ends of the slats to the frame and middle support bar.
I haven’t seen the bed yet but in pictures of the slats they appear to be bowed. Presumably when someone lays on the bed the slats flatten out and the ends move.
Would screwing the ends of the slats down cause a problem?
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 295 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hightor

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2023 10:20 am
@GPag,
It seems odd to me that IKEA would make the slats short enough to fall out. When you look at the bed, determine if the side rails are bowed out by measuring the distance between the rails at the head, the foot, and in the middle. If that's the case, it might be simpler to install a cable and a turnbuckle to pull the sides in and keep them in place.
Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 01:48 pm
@hightor,
I agree. I own such an IKEA bed and unless the frame is bowing out I can see that the slats reach the rails just fine.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 01:50 pm
…and if the frame is bowing out, it might mean that it was not constructed well. The bolts that hold the frame together may have loosened.
jcboy

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 02:21 pm
@Ragman,
I've only been to IKEA twice, it's like a maze trying to get out of that place Razz
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 03:29 pm
@Ragman,
I had a job that involved building and installing thirty slat beds for a camp. We had a furniture designer draw them up and the millwork was passed off to shop that the designer had used before. They came boxed – headboard, side rails, footboard and slats. They were made of prefinished 5/4 American Beech and were pre-drilled for all the hex head fastenings which were included. Once we put one together and designed a couple of jigs, the project went pretty well. They looked good. But after a month we got a few reports of falling slats. The camp was right next to the ocean and often in August the famous Penobscot Bay fog would hang around for days at a time. The humidity was enough to cause some of the side rails to bow out, even with the additional cleat for the slats. We ended up drawing the rail back with pipe clamps and screwing the six middle slats to the cleats. That did the trick. I haven't seen the IKEA beds but I was basing my recommendations on that experience. OP could use screws like we did but I sort of liked the idea of a single cable spanning the width of the bedframe.
Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2024 11:07 am
@hightor,
Thanks for sharing. It’s always fun to hear about woodworking projects and people that know how to assemble and disassemble stuff.
0 Replies