Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 04:49 pm
Tacos in my life have changed a lot since I first ate them in Mexico in the sixties and seventies - then, Baja towns and Guadalajara, don't remember having them in Mexico DF) probably in all the wrong places as a visitor, or maybe not. In Los Angeles, back then, there were already restaurants started by people up from Mexico from different regions, but what I knew then were american mexican restaurants. Not too much later, friends and I looked a lot around LA, rather like Jonathan Gold did later for LA Weekly and LA Times - a hole in the wall connoisseur, but there were others before him. People also ramped up trucks instead of - not bricks and mortar in LA but stucco'd small restaurants - and some of those trucks were great, still are. Tex-Mex is something I'm still learning about (not very aggressively, but starting to read up for curiosity).

Somewhat but not entirely off topic, we had a restaurant nearby that served something like ten(?) kinds of mole (and not just what a mole was cooked with). We didn't get to it before it closed.. not about them, other stuff going on.

This is all a lead into an article I haven't looked at yet. I tend to like simple w good ingredients, and oft what I read is about piling on interesting stuff in esoteric ways. San Francisco places can do both of those sometimes. But this is re the whole U.S. and the preferences of the deciders.

Best tacos in the U.S.
Lidia Ryan
http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Best-tacos-in-the-U-S-5448927.php

What say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,328 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 01:56 am
@ossobuco,
tacos all taste the same to me. I can take em or leave em.
0 Replies

Trollpatrol

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 02:13 am
A good taco is as close to discovering god as any human is capable of.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 11:35 am
Turns out that the more interesting article is the one the article I gave a link to was riffing on.

Here, in this other article, is more about tacos in the US, and includes a slide show of all 50 "best" tacos.
http://www.thedailymeal.com/50-best-tacos-america/5114
ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 12:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, but I couldn't get the slide show in that last link to work..
0 Replies