• Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 968 • Replies: 1
Topic Closed
No top replies

hassanelagouz

Sun 20 Apr, 2014 08:39 am
@abdelfatahdroesh,
Boundaries of the neighbor
There are different opinions among scholars about who are neighbors; among them are:
1- It is reported that `Ali, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "He who hears the call to prayer is a neighbor." So, whoever hears the voice of the district muezzin who calls to prayer without using the loudspeaker is regarded as a neighbor.
2- It is said that he who hears the second call (Iqamah) to prayer is regarded as a neighbor.
3- It is said that he who performs the Fajr (Dawn) prayer with you in the mosque is regarded as a neighbor.
4- It is said that those who live with each other in a quarter or district are regarded as neighbors.
5- It is said that the boundary of the neighborhood is forty houses from every side. This is the saying of `Aa'isha, Al-Awzaa`i, Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Az-Zuhri and others. [6]
6- The preponderant opinion is that the boundary of the neighborhood is referred to the custom [7]; as the shariah rule says: "What is mentioned by the Islamic law in general, and has not a criterion in it or in the language, then, it will be referred to the custom (Al-Urf)." [8]

On this basis he who is regarded by the custom as a neighbor, he is a neighbor. This neighbor has the right of neighborhood regarding treating him kindly, giving him generously, abstaining from harming him and the like.

Fourth Topic

The greatness of the neighbor's right
Allah, the Almighty, says: {"Worship Allah and join none with Him in worship, and do good to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, the poor, the neighbor who is near of kin, the neighbor who is a stranger, the companion by your side…"} [An-Nisaa': 36]. In this verse, Allah has enjoined people to treat all neighbors with kindness, be relative or stranger, adjacent or remote, pious or impious, Muslim or non-Muslim. This includes all of them according to their proximity, need and what is suitable in this situation.

As to the Prophetic Sunnah, it is abounded with many texts which call upon treating the neighbor kindly, emphasize his right, enjoin people to treat him kindly and generously, threaten people to be punished if they harm and treat him unkindly.

Ibn `Umar and `A'ishah, may Allah be pleased with them, reported that the Messenger of Allah, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, said: "Gabriel kept recommending treating neighbor with kindness until I thought he would assign him a share of inheritance." [9]

It is narrated that `Abdullah Ibn `Amr Ibnul-`Aas, may Allah be pleased with them, slaughtered a ewe, and said thrice to his family: "Did you give from it to our Jewish neighbor." Then, he said that I heard the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, saying: "Gabriel kept recommending treating neighbor with kindness until I thought he would assign him a share of inheritance." [10]

The Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, said: "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, should treat his neighbor generously." In another narration: "…, should treat his neighbor kindly." [11]

This points out that treating the neighbor kindly and generously is from among the branches of Faith and the characteristics of the faithful and that he who does not treat his neighbor kindly, his faith will be incomplete.

The Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, has confirmed this meaning by saying: "By Him in Whose Hand is my life, no slave (truly) believes till he loves for his neighbor, or he (the Prophet) said: for his brother, whatever he loves for himself." [12]

In this Hadith, the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, has made clear that the completeness of the obligatory Faith is not accomplished except by that a Muslim loves for his neighbor whatever he loves for himself. This also necessitates that he hates for his neighbor whatever he hates for himself.
It is narrated on the authority of Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him said: "By Allah, he is not a believer! By Allah, he is not a believer! By Allah, he is not a believer.''
It was asked, "Who is that, O Messenger of Allah?''
He said, "One whose neighbor does not feel safe from his evil"
(Sahih Bikhari: Volume 8, Book 73, Good Manners and Form (Al-Adab), Number 45).
Mother of the believers Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, reported that the messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said: "Jibril kept recommending me to treat my neighbor well until I thought that he would tell me to make him one of my heirs"
(Bukhari:6014)
Abu Hurayrah relates that a man approached the Prophet, peace be upon him, to complain about his neighbor. The Prophet told him: “Go home and be patient.” The man returned with his complaint two or three times, whereupon the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: “Put your furniture out on the street”
The man did as he was told, and people came up to him asking him what he was doing, so he told them about his neighbor’s bad behavior. Upon hearing this, the people began cursing that neighbor, saying: “May Allah curse him.”
Caring for your neighbors
Abu Dharr, May Allah be pleased with him, reported: Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, commanded me thus, "O Abu Dharr! Whenever you prepare a broth, put plenty of water in it, and give some of it to your neighbors".
(Translation of Sahih Muslim, Book 32: The Book of Virtue, Good Manners and Joining of the Ties of Relationship,Number 6357)
Co-operation with your neighbors
Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said: "No-one should prevent his neighbor from fixing a wooden peg in his wall." Abu Huraira said (to his companions), "Why do I find you averse to it? By Allah, I certainly will narrate it to you."
Refraining from harming your neighbor is a part of faith
Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said: "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last day should not harm his neighbor"
Abdullah bin `Umar, May Allah be pleased with them, reported: Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "The best of friends, in the sight of Allah, is the one who is best to his friend, and the best of neighbors, in the sight of Allah, is the one who is best to his neighbor".
Do not eat your full while your neighbor is hungry
Abdullah Ibn Musawir narrated: "I heard Ibn Abbas mention Ibn Az-Zubair saying that he was a miser, then he said: I heard the messenger of Allah say: He is not a believer who eats his fill whilst his neighbor beside him goes hungry"
(Bukhari, op. cit, hadith no.112,
Love your neighbor
Anas, may Allah be pleased with him narrated that he heard our noble Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, saying: "By Him in Whose hand is my soul, no man truly believes until he loves for his neighbor –or his brother- what he loves for himself"
(Muslim:45,72)
-Never scorn your neighbor's gift
Sahih Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, used to say: "O Muslim women! No one should scorn the gift of a neighbor, even if it is (only) a sheep's foot"
(Bikhari: 6017)
0 Replies