mangos and papayas

Fri 18 Apr, 2014 08:02 pm
I've been a happy person eating mangos and papayas in mexico, also in california, but not so much here, in New Mexico - if here, big money..

But lately, as they are oldish when they get here in Albuquerque, and expensive when they do, I've avoided.

But I sprung for one today. What would you do with one mango, your only mango?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,355 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

luismtzzz

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 03:57 pm
@ossobuco,
With only one mango? Mmmmm... it will depend.

A good salsa can be made with chipotle mango and philadelphia cheese, And them use it over an oven cooked pork or chiken. It will taste delicious.

If i am on the mood of a treat i will prefer to slice it and make a simple treat with pulverized dry peppers salt and lemmon.

If i want something to relax i would slice it, chill it, then blend it with water cocconut cream and add tequila. Put everything on a tall glass and add a straw and a small umbrella.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Peel it and eat it.
ossobuco

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:16 pm
@luismtzzz,
Luis, all three of those sound good to me. And..... I just bought another mango today, not that high priced relative to some other fruit. Egads, fruit is rising in pricing, and will some more, I bet.

On the first, I have the cream cheese, have a lot of different chiles - I can play with that. I've been learning my chiles (New Mexico)/chilis (Mexico) for while now and have some goodies. Still a lot to learn.

Same with #2.

On #3, is that cocktail type coconut milk (sweet) or non sweetened coconut milk (or cream - mostly I see the milk cans in my market, in the booze section, or the asian food section, or bottled in the fresh milk section. Maybe I've missed a section.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Well, yah, that's what I did and have done before, but I wanted ideas.
The best mangos or papayas I've tasted were back when I went to Mexico over some years, neither of them as sublimely good since, which I figure is a matter of shipping/how they ripen.
luismtzzz

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:26 pm
@ossobuco,
The best fruits come from the south of the country. Here in the north barely a crop can grow. Mangos from Chiapas, papaya from Veracruz, bananas from Tabasco, Watermelon from Michoacan.

It is the only great thing about summer in northen Mexico, for ten dollars you can buy alot of good fruit.
ossobuco

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:42 pm
@luismtzzz,
You're making me hungry.

I never lived there, but thought about it a couple of times. When young, I seriously considered studying art there. JLNobody, one of our most interesting/thoughtful posters, did that in his youth, but he had immediate family ties to Mexico df. And I thought about it decades later, but I'm not a good fit for being in some expatriate colony (don't fence me in) - that would get me down - and not able enough to do it on my own.

luismtzzz

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 05:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Northen Mexico has the same weather than Texas Arizona and New Mexico. The cities are more developed and modern than on the south. I have the border 2 hours away by car. Housing and food are more expensive than in the south but never as costly as living in the US. The traditions are the same, the food is delicious, we have our northern versions of most mexican food. Many people here talk in english. Med costs are lower than the US.

Before the great insecurity crisis on 2010 Monterrey was preparing to become home of a huge wave of American babyboomers. There was a plan to bring many americans interested in quality medical services with a very competitive cost. Unfortunately the goverment started the war against the cartels and everything freezed.

Now security is better but still there are some brawls on small towns.
0 Replies