What are your three greatest fears?

Synonymph

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:37 am
eoe wrote:

Dying unprepared.

Who is really ever completely prepared? A very brave person or a delusional one?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:01 am
For me, it's not so much about dying....I know I'm going to die someday...what bothers me is not knowing how I'm going to die or when it's going to happen.

Would we be happier more contented people if we knew when and how we were going to die...suicide is the only way to accomplish this... or would knowing those things prevent us from enjoying the life we have.

Are we better off not knowing such things?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:08 am
kickycan wrote:
Okay, here's three NYC fears.

1. Terrorism
2. Speeding bike messengers (I just know I'm going to be run over one day on the street)
3. Exploding manhole covers (happens all the time)

Three Boston fears
1. Drivers
2. Losing your way through Big Dig detours
3. Those bleeping pinstripes are gonna do it again
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:09 am
Three Wisconsin fears:

1. People stop drinking milk.
2. People stop eating cheese.
3. The Packers move to Illinois.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:29 am
Laughing

(I know, I know, you don't need the validation...)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:33 am
(I fear validation: I distrust its validity.)
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:00 pm
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Mice are cute.

Mice are microwaveable.
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:12 pm
doglover wrote:
For me, it's not so much about dying....I know I'm going to die someday...what bothers me is not knowing how I'm going to die or when it's going to happen.

Would we be happier more contented people if we knew when and how we were going to die...suicide is the only way to accomplish this... or would knowing those things prevent us from enjoying the life we have.

Are we better off not knowing such things?

I suppose knowing that would prevent many people of enjoying, I mean, there are exceptions but generally you don't see many people dying of cancer having the time of their life in last few months doctors prognose them. In that light, I would also say that I am not afraid of death but it also doesn't bother me that I don't know how or when I'm going to die. But I am afraid that it's going to be some kind of long and painfull dying.

However, if we go deeper into your question - if we would know when we will die like, from forever, then probably it wouldn't bother us that much as it would today.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:15 pm
oh, sheesh...
For it's a jolly good topic, for it's a jolly good topic, for it's a jolly good tooooopic...that nobody can deny Very Happy
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:33 pm
To find out when YOU are going to DIE open the following link!

My death date is September 11, 2033 Shocked

http://www.deathclock.com
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:51 pm
my death date is March 29, 2081

as for fears...

long drawn out painful death (ie cancer)

hmmm...nothing else pops to mind, everything else pales in comparison to that one thing for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:33 pm
I agree with the manhole covers being open, as I have sucky peripheral vision and am sure I will die by falling in manhole, tripping over cliff, etc. So, let's just say Accident.

Fire. Am wimpy re fire.

Water. Not too keen to drown, thanks anyway.

Bush, no, let me substitute the tarantula in the old James Bond movie.. was it something about Dr. No?

On a more realistic note, my country and those nearby (thus others) fall apart into chaos in some kind of complex civil war. On top of this, I couldn't get online.

Then, oh, simple thirst.

Then, that sated, complex thirst.

Friends. Would be hard to be without even one.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:03 pm
1. ovarian cancer
2. the boogieman under the bed
3. the boogieman in the basement
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:26 pm
Living to long

Losing my mind (what is left of it)

Automobile crash
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:28 pm
The three things I fear most:
1. GWBush
2. The re-election of GWBush
3. That his image will some day appear on Mt Rushmore.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:04 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
eoe wrote:

Dying unprepared.

Who is really ever completely prepared? A very brave person or a delusional one?

My father was completely prepared. He elected not to have heart surgery, his doctor predicted that without it, he had about two years so, in those last two years he got his paperwork in order, took a couple of vacations to see family, sold his car, transferred much of his business to his son. He was prepared mentally, emotionally, financially. As a matter of fact, he didn't really anticipate living long enough to end up in a nursing home so when he did, completely against his wishes, he died three days later, in control, IMO, until the end.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:27 am
I am a cousin of the ostrich - nice to meet you Cinnesthesia!

http://www.tgrsolution.net/zoo/birds1/pictures/bird0062.jpg

My three fears:

1. Digging my head in the sand, and finding out it's concrete! Ouch!
2. To wake up one day and find out I don't like me.
3. In death - I would be terrified to go burning or drowning - I would like to go by falling an enormous distance, like skydiving. Hey, anyone interested in going skydiving with me?
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:34 am
Heeven wrote:

3. In death - I would be terrified to go burning or drowning - I would like to go by falling an enormous distance, like skydiving. Hey, anyone interested in going skydiving with me?

Um, only if someone other than Heeven packs my chute.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:43 am
chute? I was going to pack sandwiches, but if you want a ratty chute, then okay.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:46 am
1. My fellow Brits don't realise the benefits of the EU and screw it up for those of us who do.

2. Vested interests in industry prevent reasonable measures from being taken against Global Warming.

3. I lose faith in the principles on which I've based my decisions, all my life.
0 Replies