First contact with aliens

g day

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:29 am
Ozzi Osbourne shows up - and the aliens conclude there is no intelligent life on Earth.

/But there is great surf in Australia Smile
0 Replies

neil

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:13 am
Most everything mentioned by everyone is probable, but I think comparatively few humans will panic. We hear such gross distortions from the media daily most of us will hardly give it a second though, even if the media reports the ET took all of Washington DC to Orian's belt Attractive water front property on the shores of Lake Potomac is available. Neil
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:33 am
neil wrote:
Most everything mentioned by everyone is probable, but I think comparatively few humans will panic. We hear such gross distortions from the media daily most of us will hardly give it a second though, even if the media reports the ET took all of Washington DC to Orian's belt Attractive water front property on the shores of Lake Potomac is available. Neil

Perhaps we should panic. It may be our first, but not last, contact with a civilization a million years ahead of us. The cosmos is what, 10 billion or so years old? And it sure takes more than what we've got to cross interstellar distances.
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:35 am
Asherman, what you said was really good...and really funny...

OKay, ppl, first of all, that would never happen, nothing if they are smart enough would land one somewhere so small and polluted as on Earth. (I wouldn't if I'm an alien).

Second of all, even if one did want to come on Earth. WHy in the world would it pick the US and why D.C.? which is right by the coast. (and if I was the alien, I would chose to land right in the middle of the land,since it would be more convenient to land, like Kansas for instance)

Anyways, I know you are just fun speculating, but I can't really answer the speculation because the speculation willnot have any ounce of truth in it and it would be really hard for any of us to make a prediction based on no facts.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:46 am
If they were a great deal more advanced then we were, they might be able to analyze us in moments - perhaps from our radio waves - and deduce our basic geopolitical structure, and have some idea of our culture. In this case, their landing spot might be chosen as some seat of government, rather than merely in the middle of a land mass. At the least, they could probably detect areas of high and low population density, or energy output.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:39 am
Hi Brandon: The aliens are likely more advanced or are tricking us into thinking they are very advanced. (they may come from Reno, Nevada) Our leaders need to figure their best options, and take action. You and I may have some suggestions, but it is unlikely our leaders will heed our suggestions or even be aware we made suggestions; so we are likely best off to assume all is well, until we are assimulated into the hive or what ever the aliens do or are prevented from doing. Resistance is futile? Neil
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:54 am
neil wrote:
...You and I may have some suggestions, but it is unlikely our leaders will heed our suggestions or even be aware we made suggestions; so we are likely best off to assume all is well...

Hi, Neil. Regardless of whether we have pull with our leaders, when called upon to speculate about a hypothetical situation, I will do so as well as I can. I think that when encountering aliens from a society that is where ours will be in a million or a billion years, it is not that likely that all will be well. The history on Earth of primitive cultures exposed to advanced ones is not encouraging.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:35 am
Hi Zedd: Welcome to able2know: Asherman does have a great imagination and contact might go much like that. There are thousands of possibilities, but likely we will have little basis for action until it is too late to make much difference to the final outcome. In my opinion it is useful to analyze the details of many possibilities before we get a visit. Even if we never get a visit, some of the analysis can be applied to radically different events not related to ET.
My guess is; it bad to start shooting at the aliens, unless we have good reason to think contact will be bad and can not be negotiated. An optimistic approach is often best even when an unknown disaster is very probable, especially if resistance is likely futile. Neil
0 Replies

neil

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:00 am
Hi Zedd: Earth is small, compared to the gas giant planets, and a bit polluted (but not nearly as polluted as the alarmist want us to believe) Constructed like the 4 inner planets, but with a radius of 8000 miles instead of 4000 miles, a planet would have a surface gravity of about four times that of Earth. That might be intolerable to the ET as it is to humans. Even if the average density was 3.0 instead of 5.5, the gravity would be oppressive for a planet with a radius of 8000 miles. Could we have a planet that was mostly silicon, carbon, hydrogen, lithium, magnesium, and sodium on the inside with a thin veneer of mostly iron, nickel chlorine, oxygen and heavy metal compounds on the outside? Please comment , refute and/or embellish. Neil
0 Replies

KesTrel

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:52 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
KesTrel wrote:
I dont think hes a nut case at all.

Why not?

I can recgonize the facts in his books. I have yet to find any errors. I respect you're opinion, infact I can comprehend why you would say that even too. I thought the same at one time as well.
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 05:08 pm
If aliens arrived and wanted to start a war we'd have no chance so most likely if they did land they'd be peaceful.

I say we'd have no chance in a war against them because think how quickly we'd beat cavemen with today's technology. That's what a war with aliens would probably be like. I'm basing this on scientists thinking there will be more change in the next 100 years as there has been in recorded history. Aliens coming here and attacking us would be more advanced than what we'd be in 100 years I would assume.

The first thing we'd know about an alien invasion is us being told the new rules. It's probably be over in seconds.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 05:59 pm
unless Bush yells "BRING IT ON!!!" and there we go...no more Earth Smile
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:25 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
unless Bush yells "BRING IT ON!!!" and there we go...no more Earth Smile

Out of respect for the members of this site, I believe that political posts should be confined to the politics board. I believe that members wish to be able to peruse the other boards without being subjected either to political posts they find insulting, or to heated political debates. If this is not the general opinion, then I am prepared to argue the point expressed in this post. We can probably also debate the history and merits of the government of Croatia here on the science board.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 05:53 am
well I don't think it's my problem if someone finds innocent joke insulting - I am pretty sure that majority of democrats wouldn't be insulted by harmless joke, and I would certainly not be insulted by harmless joke about Croats - as well as I am sure that huge majority of republicans are not insulted by this joke. This was not political debate, but, once again - joke (that also wasn't meant as start of debate about Bush). You may or may not find it funny but I really don't believe that it's against TOS by any means.
If I am wrong I sincerely apologize, and if I am not I am sincerely (really) suggesting you to take it easy. Forum is nothing else but virtual debate - if you talk with your friends in some caffe bar, about aliens, and one of them brings short comment like this do you get up from the table? Or start explaning to him that at this particular moment you are talking about aliens from scientific point of view and you don't want to hear any jokes about it?

I AM sorry if someone was insulted by innocent joke, but I am sorry only because someone is so tensed, not because I said it.

Edit: btw, since continuing this debate would REALLY be annoying to people that want to debate and read about Aliens and not about TOS and our disagreement, you are more then welcomed to send me PM if you still disagree
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 07:45 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
well I don't think it's my problem if someone finds innocent joke insulting - I am pretty sure that majority of democrats wouldn't be insulted by harmless joke, and I would certainly not be insulted by harmless joke about Croats - as well as I am sure that huge majority of republicans are not insulted by this joke. This was not political debate, but, once again - joke (that also wasn't meant as start of debate about Bush). You may or may not find it funny but I really don't believe that it's against TOS by any means.
If I am wrong I sincerely apologize, and if I am not I am sincerely (really) suggesting you to take it easy. Forum is nothing else but virtual debate - if you talk with your friends in some caffe bar, about aliens, and one of them brings short comment like this do you get up from the table? Or start explaning to him that at this particular moment you are talking about aliens from scientific point of view and you don't want to hear any jokes about it?

I AM sorry if someone was insulted by innocent joke, but I am sorry only because someone is so tensed, not because I said it.

Edit: btw, since continuing this debate would REALLY be annoying to people that want to debate and read about Aliens and not about TOS and our disagreement, you are more then welcomed to send me PM if you still disagree

Your joke was not innocent. It was an expression of your political opinion. This is not analogous, as you have suggested, to comments expressed at a cafe bar. This is not a cafe bar, but a series of message boards, and it is inappropriate to make provocative political comments, e.g. insulting a president whom some people support, on the science board. If you continue, you may be certain that I will follow your course of action and begin to debate, within this thread, the issues you seem to have raised concerning whether the president of my country does or does not have the qualities you have ascribed to him. However, I think it would on the whole be better if the topic discussed in the thread were first contact with aliens.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:06 am
Brandon, if you think the post off topic, ignore it rather than making it an issue.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:17 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Brandon, if you think the post off topic, ignore it rather than making it an issue.

No.

It is bad manners to make provocative political statements on a board for science and mathematics. If you don't like my comments, ignore them.

Just as MyOwnUserName has some familiarity with my government, I have some with the history and present government of Croatia. Once it is determined that politically oriented posts are alright here, we can debate all of these issues on this board.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:33 am
Brandon, you are off-topic.

If you feel that the apology was not adequate you have the right to appeal to The Moderators--who will judge both sides of the question.

Find the post that offended you. Look in the upper right hand corner and click the box marked "Report". Click.

Now back to UFO's.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:38 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Brandon, you are off-topic....Now back to UFO's.

You are incorrect. MyOwnUsername made an off-topic post, which I am pointing out. Subsequent discussion as to whether his post was off-topic, especially when unresolved, is not off-topic. If I am off-topic for pointing out that he is off-topic, then you are equally off-topic for pointing out that I am.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:01 am
Tobruk wrote:
If aliens arrived and wanted to start a war we'd have no chance so most likely if they did land they'd be peaceful.

I read a sci-fi book a couple of years ago in which the author made a logical case for the idea that it's more likely that any superior alien race would immediately attempt to exterminate any other developing species as a safety mearuse to ensure its own future (eliminating the competition). It sounds unreasonable at first, but I remember the logic of the argument being frighteningly solid.

Does anyone know the name of this book? I can't even remember the author, but I think it was one of those physicists who also write fiction; Benford or Forward maybe...
0 Replies