First contact with aliens

Equus

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:58 pm
For sake of argument, a spacecraft containing intelligent extraterrestrials lands on the White House Lawn or in Hyde Park or Red Square, or some other public viewing area, and the landing is covered by the international news media. What happens next?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,581 • Replies: 92
No top replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 05:06 pm
they blast it first and say hello after ???
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 05:26 pm
Someone calls the media--then the government.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 05:27 pm
A small cult commits suicide wearing robes.
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 07:33 pm
Panic.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 07:45 pm
Klaatu borada nikto.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:16 pm
It is stated at the press conference that the aliens are a result of faulty intelligence.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:39 pm
If they are capable of interstellar travel, they're way ahead of us, and since the odds are that they haven't just become capable of interstellar travel in the past 6 months, they're probably way, way ahead of us.
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 10:05 pm
If a war started with aliens right now we'd lose big time.

It'd be like us going up against the Romans......... actually, prolly more like us going up against the Babylons........... or maybe the cavemen.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 11:30 pm
Astronomers detect puzzling radio emissions.
May 5 … Multiple observatories reported today a series of regular radio pulses that appear to originate within our solar system. No terrestrial source, satellite, or spacecraft are responsible for these broadcasts. First discovered one week ago, it is now believed that the source of the signals has moved from near the orbit of Jupiter and is now approaching Mars. The scientific community has no explanation for this phenomenon.

Strange Space Object in Martian orbit
May 12 … The space object that the world has been anxiously watching for the last week has abruptly changed course, and gone into an orbit around the planet Mars. No visual sighting has yet taken place, but radio tracking stations confirm that the predicted path of the space object suddenly changed yesterday morning. This afternoon it was clear that the object, must be in a regular orbit around Mars.

Martian spacecraft bound for Earth
May 18 … Last night the alien object went silent for twenty minutes, and then broke out of its Martian orbit. Within hours scientists confirmed that the new course would bring the object directly to Earth unless it again changes course. Few now dispute the theory that this must be some sort of spacecraft under intelligent control.

Spacecraft finally visually captured
May 23 … Long-range imaging from satellites in Earth orbit has managed to sight the incoming craft. It appears to be metallic and spherical in shape. No guidance or propulsion systems have been detected. Whether the craft is manned, or not is yet to be determined.

UN Convened to discuss arrival of alien craft
May 24 … The entire world has tuned in as the United Nations met today to discuss the impending arrival. World leaders urge caution as people around the world prepare to meet our first alien visitors. Reactions around the world are mixed. World churches are crowded. Some regard the visitation with fear, and others with great hope.

Spacecraft in Earth orbit
May 28 … Earth anxiously awaits first contact as alien craft assumes orbit over the equator. The craft approached Earth at a high rate of speed before an abrupt deceleration as it fell into orbit. Radio signals also stopped. For the past 23 days the world's best computers and cryptanalysts have been employed in an attempt to understand what the radio signals mean. Unfortunately, no one yet has the slightest idea of what, if anything, the spacecraft is trying to say.

Still nothing
July 12 … Since entering Earth orbit our strange visitor has remained silent in spite of numerous attempts to make contact. It seems that everyone from amateur radio operators to great nations has tried to establish radio contact with our visitor. Most attempts have been broadcast on the same frequencies previously utilized by the alien spacecraft. Every language has been tried without success.

Direct contact foiled
July 28 … The United States has tried to approach the visitor with remotely controlled space vehicles, but was unable to come closer than 25 miles. At that distance, all electrical power fails and contact with our vehicles is lost according to a White House spokesman. The Pentagon denies rumors that the military has proposed firing particle beam weapons at the silent spacecraft.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 03:05 am
SealPoet wrote:
Klaatu borada nikto.

Soul mate!

but - isn't it "verada"?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 03:22 am
I heard recently that the US government is preparing to actually reveal first contact to the public, as the rumour is that the protocol (yes, there is a document involving protocol concerning aliens) has been invoked. Mind you, I did hear this on conspiracy radio, so who the heck knows?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 04:24 am
deb... I doubt it's the same alphabet.

Gort has got to be the third best robot of the silver screen...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 05:36 am
So who are numbers one and two?

Micheal Rennie did his part to a tee.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 07:07 am
#2, Robbie from Fantastic Planet
#1, hands down, is from Metropolis.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 07:38 am
SealPoet wrote:

Not "Forbidden Planet" maybe?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 08:01 am
Ummm.... maybe.

I'd edit the original, but then I'd look like an even bigger boob.

But... you can excuse my errors please: I am an alien from outer space.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 08:23 am
SealPoet wrote:

Sorry, I never liked "Metropolis", despite the fact that I'm a huge sci-fi fan.

And what about the Terminator? Doesn't that even make the list? I would put it at #1.

And now I'm wondering about Roy Batty in Bladerunner... though I'm not sure the Nexus6 were either human or mechanical.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 08:30 am
Re: First contact with aliens
Equus wrote:
For sake of argument, a spacecraft containing intelligent extraterrestrials lands on the White House Lawn or in Hyde Park or Red Square, or some other public viewing area, and the landing is covered by the international news media. What happens next?

Whatever government is in charge evacuates the area, controlls all news coverage on the grounds of national security, surrounds it with ridiculous military hardware of every description, aims several nukes at it, sets up satelite survailance, and then sends a scared guy in a white lab coat over to knock on the door. Meanwhile all the generals and pols take cover from a distant bunker somewhere.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 08:31 am
SealPoet wrote:

No kiddin' . . . i hadn't thought about her . . .
0 Replies