Lantana - have you seen it?

msolga

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:11 pm
flyboy

You saw the play? After that review? You're very brave!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:20 pm
Actually, I saw the play before I saw that or any other reviews. The play was put on my the Roundabout Theater, one of the better subscription groups and one to which I subscribe. In addition, I rarely let critics frighten me away from a play or film.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:31 pm
flyboy

Good for you! I've seen too many productions ruined by savage or unsympathetic reviews ... Particularly disappointing when a few brave risks are taken in the production concerned.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:15 pm
I thought LANTANA was marvelous--moody, full of texture, uniformly superbly acted, and extremely well written. Recently I came across an interview with Harold Pinter in which he said the same thing. To me the film showed the influence of Robert Altman in that it covered a wide array of characters and milieux while showing the ways that they interlock. The best thing about LANTANA was that it dealt with adult situations in an understated, oblique way, without banging you over the head with obvious emotion as so many American movies tend to do. All in all, I'd rate it one of the top movies of the last 10 years.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 12:46 am
larry r

I've already welcomed you on another thread here at A2K, but I'll do it again here: Welcome & I do hope you enjoy yourself here! Very Happy

I couldn't agree more on your thoughts on Lantana. When I first saw it (during the first weeks of it showing here in Oz) you could have heard a pin drop throughout the whole film. The audience (art house) was totally absorbed. I fully expected applause at the end!
Yes, a very subtle film. So much to think about after seeing it ... So much to discuss later. I saw it again, this time on video, a few months ago) & discovered much that I hadn't seen/ fully appreciated on the first viewing.

I see what you mean about the Altman influence ... The many threads, the way the characters' lives crossed, putting the bits & pieces together to form a satisfying whole.

What more can I say? It was truly one of the most satisfying films I've seen in recent years.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 01:26 am
Possibly the most important film about adultery I've ever seen.

Brilliant cinematography and Anthony La Paglia is dynamite, not to slight Geoffrey Rush for another one of his engrossing performances.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0259393/pic_04_300dpi.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 01:39 am
Lightwizard

Yes, agreed.
I thought that the female leads were pretty good, too. Smile And the "minor" characters.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 02:01 am
Took the director over 15 years to make another film -- 1985's "Bliss" was an uneven foray into similar territory.

Ebert put the film on his 2001 10 best list and the review praises the film for its inventiveness:

EBERT'S REVIEW OF "LANTANA"
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 02:15 am
Lightwizard

Yes, I've seen Bliss ... Agreed.
Lantana is light years away from it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 02:17 am
Altman - YES - I SEE!
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:43 pm
Hi Msolga!

Thanks for welcoming me to A2K!

LANTANA is one of those rare movies that is completely for adults...if you are under 21 it will say nothing to you. A unique film. I hope the director doesn't have to wait another 15 years before he shoots his next feature.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:52 pm
Interesting that I just came upon this. We have it in DVD. We had played it, but both times I fell asleep in the middle (this has nothing to do with the movie- TV acts as a soporific for me.

Anyhow, last Sunday my husband was watching some ball game on the big TV, so I decided to watch it on my computer. I LOVED it. The subtle interactions amongst the characters were wonderful. Each actor was perfect in his part.

I do think that Lantana is the kind of movie that you can see on many levels. I will watch it again in a few months!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:14 pm
larry r

Yes, very much a film for those who have been around for a few decades & who have meditated on life's ups & downs. It really hit the spot for me.
But 15 years was a long time to wait. Obviously it was a labor of love.

Phoenix

I glad you managed to stay awake this time! Very Happy And delighted that you found the experience so engrossing, too. It is one of those films that requires total concentration, isn't it?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:18 pm
msolga- I love two kinds of films- Mysteries and psychological dramas. Lantana was both! Surprised
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:23 pm
Phoenix

Yes, & nicely entwined!
0 Replies