Big Bang & Inflation question....

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 06:55 pm
Hello everyone. I'm new, glad to be here and this is my first post. I've been unable to find an answer to a question I have researching it online, so I thought I might as well ask the experts. Here goes:

The recent news about the Big Bang & Inflation, as per the First Direct Evidence of Cosmic Inflation article at http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2014-05 is quite amazing. My question is this: If the known universe did a very very rapid expansion a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second after the Big Bang, does anyone have an idea of how far or big our known universe inflated during that super-rapid expansion in the tiny fraction of a second? I mean did it expand almost instantly into an area 10 inches in diameter or 10 light-years or 100 light-years or 100 million light-years in diameter?(I'm assuming that our current known universe has a diameter to be measured, like if our known universe is about 14 billion years old is it then perhaps about 28 billion light-years in diameter?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,211 • Replies: 4
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 07:25 pm
@Solarian,
I've heard several cosmologists say that it expanded from something much smaller than an atom to something the size of a basketball in the initial Inflation event.
Solarian

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 09:22 pm
@rosborne979,
Thanks. Well...if it was only as big as a basketball when it stopped ultra-rapididly expanding then would it be safe to assume that it has expanded at a rate of something like 2 light-years per solar year ever since? So that our known universe's diameter might be about 28 billion light-years in diameter?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 05:13 am
@Solarian,
I believe there were other inflation events in addition to the first one. But I would have to look up the details.

Also, the expansion of the present universe is accelerating, so we may be undergoing another inflation of some type.

As a result, I don't think any size calculation could be run using constants.
Solarian

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 01:22 pm
@rosborne979,
Additional inflation events? Like the super-rapid ones right after the Big Bang or slower more "normal" expansion events?
0 Replies