could these be petrified berries in a rock matrix

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 09:53 am
https://imageshack.us/a/img18/9325/j2lq.jpg
https://imageshack.us/a/img834/983/bmje.jpg
https://imageshack.us/a/img23/820/z1wk.jpg

So a few days ago I went walking down this beautiful, steep and predominantly lavender rocky dry wash ,in a mountain range a couple hours from my house. I found some truly amazing fossils and minerals. I was able to identify after some lengthy effort most of which I found.
There are two things though that I feel like I may need some help with. The first one is a semi typical rock that acts as a matrix for and it has a whole bunch of blackish purple dots that look like squished berries it in in the center of each of these dots is a baby blue crystal.
I've extracted a few of them few of them and some of them seem consistent with a berry that may have been stepped on and and squished till the pulp popped out but you could still see a tiny hole on the bottom part of the berries where it was pulled from the stem. The little tiny hole in the bottom that's what all of these have in common also there was some markings on the outside of a few of the little balls that I pulled out more carefully without leaving tool marks. The other fossil is a little creepy and I'm not quite sure what it is. So, whatever expertise you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2nd fossil
https://imageshack.us/a/img849/2043/q5ab.jpg

rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 10:04 am
@danarose,
They are almost certainly, NOT berries. The rock appears to be some type of conglomerate with round inclusions, but not berries.

And I'm not sure that the bottom one is a fossil. It might just be some type of crystal embedded in rock matrix. But the photo isn't good enough, so I can't be sure.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 10:30 am
@danarose,
Where I live, I am surrounded by this stuff.....

Hertfordshire Puddingstone.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/a558/a312/gallery/England/Hertfordshire/St_A_Puddingstone.jpg

Close up, it genuinely looks as if someone has made a Christmas pudding mix, and left it to fossilise.

Cross section...
http://www.ehgc.org.uk/assets/images/puddingstone_slice2.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 11:44 am
@danarose,
I would guess at flint, myself.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 01:14 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Im on a boat to visit you lawd. Itll take about 3 months tille we land.

Those are like the Blueberries of Mars. They are inclusions of whatever (lawdy;s, "The Hertfordshire puddingstone" is definitely a conglomerate of concretions of cryptocrystalline quartz like flint or jasper)
the ones found by our new member are also concretions in a matrix that were probably like >Itd take someone who is more familiar with the location to determine what they are(or else, take it to a Uni geology lab and have them do an x-ray diffraction analysis).As lawdy says, they are probably also flint jsper agate chalcedony , any kind of very dense quartz

Ive seen the Puddingstone gut and polished into table tops and it looks spectacular but they are a bit touchy an should not be used as weapons
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 01:19 pm
@danarose,
where are you from danarose? (state if your in US). If youd put a small coin next to the last rock and shoot another pic in a more even light, I may have some idea but now it looks too much like a fossil that Id not believe was so common.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 01:43 pm
Dingleberries . . . they're fossilized dingleberries . . . dinosaur dingleberries . . .
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 02:04 pm
@Setanta,
now your scarin me. Youre starting to sound like Bewildered. OK, sit down and breathe slowly.

rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 02:16 pm
@farmerman,
If it was Bewildered it would be Dino Dingleberry "blood vessels". And if it was Gunga it would be Dino Dingleberry blood vessels from the purple mists of atlantis on Saturn.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 02:22 pm
@farmerman,
Whereabouts do you reckon you'll put into port?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 02:28 pm
The 'berries' are obviously high-velocity projectiles fired in an ancient battle that became embedded in the rocks as alien races fought for domination of planet earth-

"Argob, with all Bashan, which was called the land of giants" (Bible: Deuteronomy 3:13)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 02:30 pm
You guys never recognized the genius of Bewildered . . . i, however, have seen the light. Petrified dinosaur dingleberry blood vessels . . . Atlantean petrified dinosaur dingleberry blood vessels . . . from Saturn.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 03:00 pm
@Setanta,
I believe I told him that "I believe you get the entirety of your science from deep within Uranus"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 03:04 pm
@rosborne979,
yeh, bewilsered did specialize in circulatory systems from space, whereas gunga will buy ANYTHING that is not associated with some lwft wing university (Except maybe Bob Jones )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 03:06 pm
@izzythepush,
Well just radio around till someone lets us in.
Maybe the Channel Islands.

If all goes well with my sons condition,We are going to the Netherlnds sometime tis spring or summer so I imagine if anyone(even spendi) wants a beer on me Ill probably buy.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 04:10 pm
@farmerman,
Well if you touch the UK, Southampton's a close port. The CI Ferry normally goes from Weymouth, that's not too far.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 04:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy: "Whereabouts do you reckon you'll put into port? Did you bring Frank with you? I'll put him up at my house!"
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 04:26 pm
@farmerman,
Harrrrr! Mine be a pint of 'ard, an oi be payin'

'Ere be a song fer the journey....

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 05:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
Do you have a "puddingstone industry" where they make tabletops and cabinet tops of the stuff?
Id ike to contact someone who does slabbing of the stuff, its gorgeous

By the by, did you get the pictures from the East Herts Geology Club?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 05:15 am
@farmerman,
A quick look shows there's as much puddingstone in America as UK. All I could find was this on ebay where it's sold for rockeries.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hertfordshire-Puddingstone-Rockery-Price-Per-50kg-CWT-/141227223048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20e1cc6808