PhilX

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:00 pm
Am I the same exact person as I was a minute ago? And who will I become in the future? I also seem to have an inner self with my secret thoughts as well as an outer self that communicates with the world and the world communicates with me through.

So who am I really?

PhilX
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 8,340 • Replies: 15
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 12:59 am
@PhilX,
"You" are a social entity (amongst "others") whose continued name and memories enmesh your psychological system in continued social obligations to "others" , some of which are your shifting "self states".
Reality is a social construction whose "persistence" is a function of the abstract persistence of the words (like our names) which are the shared social currency of what we call "thought".
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 02:51 am
@PhilX,
You are Phil, Phil.
0 Replies

Speakpigeon

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 07:52 am
@PhilX,
PhilX wrote:

Am I the same exact person as I was a minute ago? And who will I become in the future? I also seem to have an inner self with my secret thoughts as well as an outer self that communicates with the world and the world communicates with me through.
So who am I really?

Phil, you're not meant to know. It should be good enough that you know what you are doing at the moment you are doing it (if you do).

For all practical purposes, it means you are what you are doing at the moment you are doing it (if you know what you are doing).

This should be enlightening.
EB
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 01:52 pm
@PhilX,
Quote:
Am I the same exact person as I was a minute ago?
Not exactly

Quote:
And who will I become in the future?
That depends

Quote:
I also seem to have an inner self with my secret thoughts as well as an outer self …...
Subconscious and conscious, resp

Quote:
So who am I really?PhilX
Yes
0 Replies

outofthecave

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:33 am
i am changing and evolving, like everyone.
I am dynamic.
There is I when I am alone. There is I when I am with people. There is I when I am with things.
0 Replies

PhilipOSopher

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 04:17 am
@PhilX,
This idea is similar to Heraclitus' 'you cannot step into the same river twice' argument, and would seem relevant to you as a physical human being - apparently in 7 years time a human body will have completely replaced all of its cells.
But I personally am inclined to disagree with this - it SEEMS to make sense to take all the variations of PhilX, physically and mentally, and describe them in terms of their resemblance to a kind of 'over-PhilX' - a Plato-like Form of the PhilX. Though the Form/Idea of you would not be exactly the same as you now for example, every variation of you that would ever be would have some resemblance of you.
Not that I'm suggesting Plato's WoF actually exists, but I'm trying to think along similar lines;)
Phil (www.philosophersblogofideas.blog.com)
0 Replies

room109

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 11:29 pm
@PhilX,
you are enlightened, lol
0 Replies

room109

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 11:31 pm
@PhilX,
or atleast partially so, those of you whom doubt may truly be enlightend thos who do not, may never know truth.
0 Replies

Ethels

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 12:18 am
@PhilX,
Why I am I? This question makes me crazy!!!
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 04:40 pm
@PhilX,
PhilX wrote:

So who am I really?

PhilX

You are who you think you are .
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 10:24 am
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 10:41 am
Quote:
Within the span of seven years, every cell of your body will die and be replaced—you literally are not the same person you once were. If this is the case, where lies our identity and psyche? Should we be held accountable for the actions of another body, or another mind? These questions, and many more, are contemplated in The Outer Limits of Reason (The MIT Press, 2013). Noson S. Yanofsky considers what cannot be predicted, described, or known, and what will never be understood. In this excerpt from “Philosophical Conundrums,” Yanofsky references the Ship of Theseus before questioning the existence of personal identity.

In ancient Greece, there was a legendary king named Theseus who supposedly founded the city of Athens. Since he fought many naval battles, the people of Athens dedicated a memorial in his honor by preserving his ship in the port. This “ship of Theseus” stayed there for hundreds of years. As time went on, some of the wooden planks of Theseus’ ship started rotting away. To keep the ship nice and complete, the rotting planks were replaced with new planks made of the same material. Here is the key question: If you replace one of the planks, is it still the same ship of Theseus? This question about a mythical ship is the poster child for one of the most interesting problems in all of philosophy, namely the problem of identity. What is a physical object? How do things stay the same even after they change? At what point does an object become different? When we talk about a certain object and say that “it changed,” what exactly is “it”?

http://www.utne.com/mind-and-body/ship-of-theseus-identity-ze0z1311zjhar.aspx
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 10:59 am
Better still :

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 11:30 am
For those interested in mind here you go:

0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 11:00 am
@PhilX,
You are always the same person unless you Spiritually die or come alive. If you convert, you are the same.

When you look in the mirror you see You. That is you. You is HOW you think.

when you forfeit to sin, you become diluted and that is a different you.

when you accept faith, you become rich with ideology. That is a different you.

Your ideology si all that changes. YOU are always YOu.
0 Replies