can you hear me now?

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:55 am
There is one application the government is considering to place a cell-phone tower in Mesa Verde Nat Park. There are cuurrently 5 cell-phone towers already constructed in Yellowstone Nat Park including one next to Old Faithful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,675 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:19 am
Money talks and it seems that's all the government fat cats can hear. The only good news is there should be a lot less wires someday.

Who can we write to?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 10:44 am
When the government becomes involved in anything it has a tendency to turn everything it touches into crap. I can understand one cell phone tower in a National Park but 5 is ridiculous and 6 is obscene! Unless I'm hopelessly lost I won't even use my cell phone while vacationing.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 10:58 am
NickFun wrote:
I can understand one cell phone tower in a National Park but 5 is ridiculous and 6 is obscene!

Considering Yellowstone is roughly 2/3rds the size of the state of CT 5 or 6 cell towers only provides coverage for about 1/30th of the park.

Quote:
Unless I'm hopelessly lost I won't even use my cell phone while vacationing.

And what happens when you are hopelessly lost in a National park? But that only happens a few thousand times a year right?

You might recall that there were 2 climbers stuck up on a mountian out west just a few weeks ago when one of them fell and was injured just as a snow storm moved in. The only reason the one man survived was because he was able to use his cell phone to call for help.

When it's your life on the line it isn't quite as obscene is it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:01 am
You're way too sympathetic for a conservative-type, fishin.

I'm more of a fan of survival of the fittest with this kind of thing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:02 am
Screw them. If they get lost, let 'em figure their way out of it on their own. They wanted to be away from it all, didn't they?
0 Replies

Granny Weatherwax

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:58 am
Re: can you hear me now?
dyslexia wrote:
There is one application the government is considering to place a cell-phone tower in Mesa Verde Nat Park. There are cuurrently 5 cell-phone towers already constructed in Yellowstone Nat Park including one next to Old Faithful.

How scenic! Sad
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:02 pm
What's wrong with cell phone towers?

I think some people simply have a constitutional objection to technology and rail at it. A couple of cell phone towers ain't gonna hurt the park. I can't wait till my less technology-fearful generation is the oldest generation around, good times will be here and....

Bah, we'll probably be all up in arms about the new fax butt implants or somesuch.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:05 pm
"Bah, we'll probably be all up in arms about the new fax butt implants or somesuch."
Disturbing visual.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:06 pm
Yup, even for my generation.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:07 pm
Sure, the more towers the merrier. Progress marches on! But don't assume it's always old people who stand in the way of progress. My mother, when she used to visit Seattle, would ask why we hadn't torn down the buildings in the old part of town. Who needs historic districts?

Frankly, every time I see that "Can you hear me now?" ad, I want say, "Yes, goddamit. Now shut the @#*$ up!"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:56 pm
I think I'm with kicky and Beth on this one. If you just can't stand the wilderness, just stay home. Or don't leave the gift shop unattended.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:40 pm
Mixed feelings, veering towards ehBeth/kicky view.

I think this gets complicated. In a park situation where there are expectations of public forays with concommitant parking lots, wildoats grocers, lurking large lodges, yes... for some extent tel access. But I have a personal feeling there is some cutoff point, where nature just can be itself.

But then it can't... all sorts of interventions happen upstream or down or from the sky. Even from an eco person's viewpoint, we tag animals, and so on, plus, boundaries cross.

Mulling..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:47 pm
I'm all mixed up like Osso.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:33 am
I'm sure someone in the park system had something to say on all sides of it and issues regarding these were discussed.
So, for the number of towers and the area they're in...I'm sure its not all that bad and I'm guessing they will be making a bit of money on these and from that...well, hopefully that money goes back into the park system for wonderful things...you know..like litter cleanup and such. Wink

One question..are these those fake looking tree towers...cuz those really rub me the wrong way for some reason. It's odd relly but, I feel like they should just be what they are and they are done so badly it's comical.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:03 am
Motorola had a system called Iridium (sp?) that consisted of a serries of communication satellites that provided world wide coverage for a cell phone 24/7. Your phone number worked anywhere from the corner deli to the top of Mount Everest. It failed, partly due to poor management, but also because of competition from cheaper, but not better, phone towers.
0 Replies