If you needed something heavy to move, how would you proceed?

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:42 am
I have a 35 inch (NONFLAT or CRT TV) megabehemoth of an RCA television like a glacial era boulder deposited in the middle of my living room. Would like to get rid of that antiquated nonHD godzilla of a beast and replace it with my Sony HD flat TV set.

Other then a stick of dynamite or some conveniently placed C4 explosive or dismantalling it with a sledgehammer, how would you proceed with getting it out of a 3rd floor walkup apartment. (And no. Throwing out of the window - which it won't fit through in the first place isn't a viable option.)

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:44 am
@tsarstepan,

how'd you get it up there in the first place?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:47 am
@Region Philbis,
I didn't. It's my flatmate's TV. He says he'll help me get rid of the TV s0 I can put up my own but I'm trying to find a way to get it out and not get either of us injured in the process. I really don't understand how it first fit through any of the living room doors let alone the narrow apartment hallway that leads to the stairs and outside.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:52 am
@tsarstepan,
If I was to look at cheap labor at Craigslist (and yes I am a bit scared at the process of hiring someone from that source), is there a category I can look at for help provided or is it best if I write my own posting for help wanted?

How much should I charge a couple of handymen to do the job? I'll also look at moving companies if they're not too expensive.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 12:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Just tweeted 1-800-GOT-JUNK (and will call them after work). Has anyone used them for their removal service?
boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 01:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
I haven't used them but I hear they're really expensive.

Does the building have a super? He might know the best way to go about getting it out of there.
Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 01:32 pm
It seems to me that you've got something heavy to move . . . i don't see what you have to complain about.

(hehehe . . . i crack me up)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 01:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
how would you proceed with getting it out of a 3rd floor walkup apartment.
Hire some guys to dump it.
chai2

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 01:43 pm
What about calling the Salvation Army?

Don't they come by to pick up donations?

http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/use/www_use_gnyd.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/1C7D51D10CFC016D802572ED0054D46F?openDocument
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:00 pm
Or Habitat for Humanity. They might or might not accept it and also pick it up - they pick up my stuff and haven't said no so far except for clothing, and they pick up by truck. It's true I give them a fair batch of stuff at a time - books, bedding, rugs, and some pottery and cookware I can part with... once a '30's cabinet with a metal top that had some chips and dents but was sort of a neat piece of furniture, albeit needing a new latch. (I bought it at a so called antique store for little.) At least in Abq, they're a phone call away to find out; they may not pick up your goods for a few weeks, being busy.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It seems to me that you've got something heavy to move . . . i don't see what you have to complain about.

(hehehe . . . i crack me up)

It ain't heavy. It's my roommate's electronics. Wink
http://i59.tinypic.com/2rclh90.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

I'm probably going to do that. Neutral
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

I'm probably going to do that. Neutral
Good luck with it.
I 'd invite u to go back to the lasanya restaurant,
but I 'm too far away for that.

David
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:10 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I haven't used them but I hear they're really expensive.

Does the building have a super? He might know the best way to go about getting it out of there.

According to my roommate, our landlord is looking for a reason to raise the rent (whatever that means in terms of when the lease is up for renewal). I'll still use that route if the other routes aren't working.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
hire a mover. Beats getting a hernia.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
It's my flatmate's TV
ok... how did he get it up there in the first place?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'll get around to asking but I'm afraid to ask.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:45 pm
@tsarstepan,

i once helped my plumber buddy carry a washing machine down a winding flight of stairs to the basement.

for some reason i took the front, and somehow managed to walk down backwards without dropping it or losing my footing.

we laughed about it, and it wasn't until later that i realized how lucky we were to accomplish the task without one or both of us getting seriously hurt...
Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:56 pm
@Region Philbis,
Don't try that while bringing a refrigerator down the twisty staircase of 3rd floor Allston/Brighton apartment (circa 1900 construction). I almost caused my flat-mate to have a crushed pelvis as he got pinned to a wall.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Lemme check with one of my co-workers. She and her sister-in-law moved some appliances using some neat straps.