KevenM

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 07:54 pm
I am attempting to research the spear described in the story of David and Goliath. I am not so much interested in its size and weight, but the description of a weaver's beam. I have found sources which state a cord would be wrapped around the spear/javelin held by loops. This cord would reportedly give the spear greater accuracy and range. Was such a device ever used in ancient warfare? How was it operated, and would such a device actually make the weapon more accurate and capable of being thrown further? I have found these rough descriptions but nothing more.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 864 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 08:02 pm
@KevenM,
Dude, it's a story - not really history. How can you research a fantasy? Besides which I thought in the bible it was alleged to be a slingshot. (Books of Samuel (1 Samuel, Chap 17.)

"So David prevailed over the Philistine [Goliath] with a sling and a stone, striking down the Philistine and killing him."

The biblical account describes Goliath as falling on his face after he is struck by a stone that sank into his forehead.

"Biblical Scholars drawing on studies of oral transmission and folklore have concluded that the non-Septuagint material “is a folktale grafted onto the initial text of … 1 Samuel."
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:50 am
@KevenM,
You presumably have looked at this
http://bibleillustration.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/david-and-goliath-and-philistine-armor.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:02 am
@KevenM,
A cord knotted in a manner that allows it to drop off the spear (javelin) will let you throw it farther, but not likely with greater accuracy. It would have to be a relatively light spear as you are substituting velocity for throwing force. An atlatl uses the same principle.

Whether this has anything to the story or weapons of David & Goliath event, I have no idea. As Ragman mentions, it is a story.
0 Replies