Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 02:24 pm
After I feed one of my cats, he eats so fast that many times he throws it up shortly after eating. He is obviously having enough food since he is overweight. Do you think he is concerned about his weight and has developed an eating disorder? Does he need to see a kitty psychologist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,494 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 02:28 pm
Check with the vet first, and maybe switch to a weight-reducing food. I highly doubt the cat needs to see a shrink.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 03:54 pm
Or why don't you just try to feed him less?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:51 pm
What cav said...
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:58 pm
Apparently, one of the characteristics of bulimia is the inappropriate use of weight control such as enemas...That's one sick cat!!!
Has he been outside recently and/or been unusually close with the garden hose? You may want to get that checked out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 10:49 am
Feed my cat less? I already feed him less than the amount recommended on the cat food package. My vet thinks my cat is just a little overweight. So I am following her recommendation.

My cat never goes outside. Not only is he bulimic, but he is a wimp too. He is much too frightened to even attempt to step one paw on the grass. Perhaps my cat is jealous of my other cat. My female cat is at a perfect weight and sweet and friendly. The male cat is also pretty lazy-he does not even clean himself well. My female cat gets disgusted with him and holds him to clean him. This tends to end up in a fight as the male cat prefers to be filthy. I once had to bring him to a groomer as the fur on his back became all matted. I guess he is what he is - a fat, lazy slob and we just have to love him for he is.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:33 pm
Apparently, he doesn't love himself the way he is. I'm going to add some links that might help out--bulimia is a very serious disease.

What is Bulimia?

How You Can Help
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:35 pm
Remember, even intentional furball purging (IFP) is a type of bulimia. Don't hold out on the help just because you're in denial. Your little kitty is in our hearts, just ask us if you need help.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:55 pm
Do you feed your 2 cats at the same place, or separately? If it's together, your "problem" cat might be eating very quickly to make sure he gets his fair share. Maybe he's not digesting his food properly if this is the case. It sounds like your other cat is the "top cat" in your household & maybe the other one is intimidated by her.
You might also try giving him some more TLC, if he's missing out to the other cat. He sounds rather unhappy to me. Sad Not cleaning himself properly seems to indicate that he's not feeling well.
If this problem persists, see the vet again. If nothing is achieved by this, ask around for the name of a really well respected vet whose good with cats. I've had ailments seriously misdiagnosed in the past, only to have the ailment quickly fixed, following another vet's opinion.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:48 am
I feed my 2 cats separately as the vet suggested. My cat would actually push my other cat away to eat her food so he used to get his fair share and then go after her bowl and have extra. We now feed them in two separate rooms. He does get lots of attention and even some unwanted attention from the kids. He did not get sick yesterday and it does not happen every day, just here and there. Perhaps if he is unhappy I can give him some cat nip, he loves that and it really mellows him out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:52 am
Also I find it highly unlikely that the female cat intimidates the male cat as he beats the crap out of her when he gets sick of being clean.
0 Replies