Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:18 am
What is moral?

What is legislation?

What is law?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:39 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Government makes a moral decision every time it legislates.

I disagree. Certainly, there are laws where morality is simply not an issue. For instance, if the law prohibits jaywalking, are we to believe that the law is somehow imposing a moral precept, such that jaywalking is inherently "immoral?"
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:34 am
Morality may be partially based in the Kantian maxim- Act as if your every action were to become a universal law of mankind.
We are constantly faced with non-zero-sum games in which it is better for both parties to act unselfishly than for both to act selfishly. The Golden Rule is ubiquitous-Jesus, Confucius, Hobbes, Locke and, of course, Kant.
Governments and legislators have agreed on laws which would enforce these basic moralities.
joe from Chicago poses an important question. His comment that all legislation is concerned with morality is quite correct since any examination of legislation throughout the ages will reveal that it has, in fact, been based on bedrock morality and will continue to do so.
When our legislators, elected by the people and, hopefully, exercising the will of the people, become totally relativistic and driven by expediency,as they view the majority of the electorate professing relativism and expediency, then legislation may indeed become disconnected to morality.
This has not occurred yet.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Acquiunk wrote:
Government makes a moral decision every time it legislates.

I disagree. Certainly, there are laws where morality is simply not an issue. For instance, if the law prohibits jaywalking, are we to believe that the law is somehow imposing a moral precept, such that jaywalking is inherently "immoral?"

All people assume that the way they understand the world (world view) is correct, and the meanings and values that attach to that understanding are not only correct but reflect the way the world should be, ie moral. The legislative acts of government are expected to reflect that understanding. If they do not, then those acts, and the government that created them are considered immoral, and the government loses it's legitimacy. All humans rank the meaning and values in order of significance. Some understandings are considered relatively insignificant and violations of those understandings may produce grumbling and disagreements, other violations may produce strong event violent reactions. Jaywalking is an example of the former. Some people may regard it as petty and unnecessary and ignore it. Others may see it as a violation of the accepted manner of conduct in crossing the street, but they will not make a big issue of it. Although a police officer might if he or she had another agenda and this was the most convenient means of detaining you. The issue of abortion is an example of the later. The legalization of this procedure strikes at the very core of some people's worldview. It is an issue that ripples across a number of other assumptions including the meaning and value of life, gender roles, the legitimacy of the political process and much else. The reaction to this legislation, on the part of some people, has been not only vocal but also violent because in their view it attacks their basic understanding of how the world should work. In other words it is immoral.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:55 am
Acquiunk: I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that jaywalking is, in and of itself, immoral, albeit insignificant?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:57 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Acquiunk: I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that jaywalking is, in and of itself, immoral, albeit insignificant?

First, I suspect we are using the concept of morality in two slightly different ways here. But I have seen people get quit incensed over jaywalkers (mostly drivers). So secondly, yes. If a behavior violates peoples understanding of the accepted rules of conduct, from an anthropological perspective it is immoral. Many minor deviation from accepted cultural rules are often complained about but not much is done about them otherwise. Unless for some reason a point is being made that the rules are to be recognized as correct, even if that recognition is often in their breach.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:12 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
First, I suspect we are using the concept of morality in two slightly different ways here. But I have seen people get quit incensed over jaywalkers (mostly drivers). So secondly, yes. If a behavior violates peoples understanding of the accepted rules of conduct, from an anthropological perspective it is immoral. Many minor deviation from accepted cultural rules are often complained about but not much is done about them otherwise. Unless for some reason a point is being made that the rules are to be recognized as correct, even if that recognition is often in their breach.

Well, I think we may be dealing with a "chicken-and-egg" problem here. True, people may indeed get incensed when they see someone jaywalking, just as they would get incensed when they see anyone else transgress the rules or violate the laws. But then that's because jaywalking is already against the law. Likewise, we may posit that obedience to the law is a fundamental rule of morality. That, however, only makes jaywalking a moral issue if it is first a legal issue.

Consequently, we are still left to question whether jaywalking per se is immoral. In other words, absent any laws to the contrary, would someone who jaywalks violate a moral precept -- in much the same way that a person who tells a lie does not violate a law but does transgress morality. For (and this will tie in to my initial comment) if the jaywalker is not transgressing a moral precept, then the laws against jaywalking are not instances of "legislating morality."
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:09 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Likewise, we may posit that obedience to the law is a fundamental rule of morality. That, however, only makes jaywalking a moral issue if it is first a legal issue.

No, it is the reverse, law codifies what a society perceives to be moral. If the law deviates widely from what a society perceives to be moral the law is ignored or enforced only by conventional sanction ie force, which will ultimately fail (though it may take a while) Law which reflects the moral precepts of a society has authority, that is people obey it because people think it is right. It reflects the way they think things should to be. Law which violates those precept can be imposed and adherence demanded but ultimately unless people change their thinking the law, and the government that enforced it, will fail. The prohibition of the consumption of alcohol is a prime example. Jaywalking is a minor example, but there is an increasing body of PC legislation that fall into this category of minor restrictions on an individual's behavior, anti smoking legislation and the like. If there is enough of it, and if the general public comes to find it obnoxious. In other words the law does not reflect how people think the world should be and therefore refuses to accept it. The groups that promote these kinds of restrictions will fail in their influence and the laws removed.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:55 pm
mporter wrote:
joe from Chicago poses an important question. His comment that all legislation is concerned with morality is quite correct since any examination of legislation throughout the ages will reveal that it has, in fact, been based on bedrock morality and will continue to do so.

As gratifying as it is to be told that I'm correct, I'm compelled to note that I never said that "all legislation is concerned with morality." Indeed, I have said just the opposite.

And welcome to A2K, mporter.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:02 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
No, it is the reverse, law codifies what a society perceives to be moral.

Well, that presumes the answer to the question: "is jaywalking immoral because it's illegal, or is it illegal because it's immoral?" I'm not sure we've reached that point yet.

Acquiunk wrote:
If the law deviates widely from what a society perceives to be moral the law is ignored or enforced only by conventional sanction ie force, which will ultimately fail (though it may take a while)

If a law deviates widely from what a society perceives to be moral, then how can we say that the law embodies, or "legislates," morality? Aren't you really saying that such laws legislate "immorality" or "amorality?"
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:01 am
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Yes, society SHOULD not legislate morality. Since morals, like values, almost always vary across individuals and subgroups in complex societies, to give the strength of law to morals that not all people share is very undesirable and potentially repressive.

Then let me ask the same question I posed to fishin': does the state "legislate morality" when it rewards moral behavior, or does it "legislate morality" only when it punishes immoral behavior?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:16 am
joefromchicago wrote:
If a law deviates widely from what a society perceives to be moral, then how can we say that the law embodies, or "legislates," morality? Aren't you really saying that such laws legislate "immorality" or "amorality?"

The assumption here is monolithic concept of what is moral. In societies that lack a great deal of complexity this may be a valid assumption, such a band or tribal societies, even small chiefdoms. It is not the case in large complex societies such as our own, which is why the law becomes a political issue. For in this case it generally reflects a majority opinion which the minority opinion must either accept or attempt to change. When you add to that the idea that individuals should be allowed to express their own personal set of cultural values, you get major conflict over the law (such as we now have). For an anthropological discussion of this see works by Grant McCracken "Culture by Commotion". He has two publication on this issue which he has put on line at:

http://www.cultureby.com/
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:32 pm
It seems to me that legislation of laws has more to do with interests than it has to do with values and morals. That is not to say that (1) a law that is widely held to be immoral or to not reflect the dominant values of a society will be difficult to pass, and (2) that legislators, or their sponsors, will not make efforts to pass their private interests off as public values, to claim the law serves morality. This is the political dimension of law.
Joe, in considering your question, I am having difficulty thinking of instances where moral behavior is rewarded. I can only think of instances where laws punish law breakers, with the ASSUMPTION that they are morality violators. I remember the sixties when young people thought the anti-pot laws were unjust, and that those who enforced them were "pigs" , and the most despicable of creatures were the "Narcs." These laws, in other words, were not considered morally legitimate.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 06:26 am
Acquiunk wrote:
The assumption here is monolithic concept of what is moral.

Actually, I think that was your assumption. You wrote: "law codifies what a society perceives to be moral." If there is not a monolithic, or at least a preponderant, version of "morality" in a society, how can laws reflect what society perceives to be moral?

Acquiunk wrote:
In societies that lack a great deal of complexity this may be a valid assumption, such a band or tribal societies, even small chiefdoms. It is not the case in large complex societies such as our own, which is why the law becomes a political issue.

But certainly there are moral precepts upon which there is near-universal consensus, such as the view that murder is wrong. Are you suggesting that laws that enact near-universal moral precepts are not legislating morality, whereas those laws that enact moral precepts supported by a bare majority of the population are examples of legislating morality?

Acquiunk wrote:
For in this case it generally reflects a majority opinion which the minority opinion must either accept or attempt to change. When you add to that the idea that individuals should be allowed to express their own personal set of cultural values, you get major conflict over the law (such as we now have).

No doubt.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 06:39 am
JLNobody wrote:
It seems to me that legislation of laws has more to do with interests than it has to do with values and morals. That is not to say that (1) a law that is widely held to be immoral or to not reflect the dominant values of a society will be difficult to pass, and (2) that legislators, or their sponsors, will not make efforts to pass their private interests off as public values, to claim the law serves morality. This is the political dimension of law.

Of course, it's true that laws reflect the interests of those who pass them. But then we could merely note that it might be in the interests of the legislators to pass laws that reflect the society's moral precepts. I'm not sure an interest-based focus advances our examination of this topic.

JLNobody wrote:
Joe, in considering your question, I am having difficulty thinking of instances where moral behavior is rewarded. I can only think of instances where laws punish law breakers, with the ASSUMPTION that they are morality violators.

The IRS code, for instance, is filled with provisions whereby the legislature rewards virtuous or moral behavior. To take one very obvious example: a taxpayer can claim a deduction for making charitable contributions. Now, charity is considered by most to be virtuous: indeed, it is one of the "seven heavenly virtues." So does the tax deduction for charitable contributions constitute an instance of "legislating morality?"

JLNobody wrote:
I remember the sixties when young people thought the anti-pot laws were unjust, and that those who enforced them were "pigs" , and the most despicable of creatures were the "Narcs." These laws, in other words, were not considered morally legitimate.

Drug laws are good examples of cases where people claim the government should not legislate morality (see the third and fourth links in my initial post). But how are drug laws different from laws, such as the law on charitable contributions, which also arguably legislate morality?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 12:03 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Drug laws are good examples of cases where people claim the government should not legislate morality (see the third and fourth links in my initial post). But how are drug laws different from laws, such as the law on charitable contributions, which also arguably legislate morality?

In a very lose and broad assuption I'd say that in most cases where people say we should NOT legislate morality in reference to a specific issue, the individual saying it holds a position that is in opposition to the majority. But that really just reflects that there is a difference of opinion (or in moral beliefs) between individuals or groups within the society.

The reason I chuckle a bit at the statement that morality shouldn't be legislated is because the concept of passing laws is exactly how we have structured our society to handle those difference between us. If every issue had near universial agreement we wouldn't need a law making body.

The statement is simply a way for people with a minority opinion to try to claim a moral high gound. In almost every case not legislating the issue results in the law favoring their view.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 01:24 pm
Excellant fishin you have summed up the issue perfectly for me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 06:12 pm
An excellent post, Fishin'.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:40 am
fishin' wrote:
In a very lose and broad assuption I'd say that in most cases where people say we should NOT legislate morality in reference to a specific issue, the individual saying it holds a position that is in opposition to the majority.

I'll grant you that.

fishin' wrote:
But that really just reflects that there is a difference of opinion (or in moral beliefs) between individuals or groups within the society.

I'll grant you that as well.

fishin' wrote:
The reason I chuckle a bit at the statement that morality shouldn't be legislated is because the concept of passing laws is exactly how we have structured our society to handle those difference between us. If every issue had near universial agreement we wouldn't need a law making body.

I won't grant you that. Surely we can have near-universal agreement on a point and yet still need legislation. For instance, we have near-universal agreement that murder is immoral. Yet that near-unanimity does not lessen the need for laws concerning murder.

More to the point, if you say that we have laws to handle differences in opinion regarding morality, then you're simply stating that governments do legislate morality, without addressing whether they should legislate morality. Moreover, if the law's purpose is to settle disputes regarding morality, one must ask: which morality should the government favor?

Let me offer a hypothetical: suppose a legislature decides that it must make a law regarding divorce. There are a range of moral positions from which it could choose, from making divorce strictly illegal to making it purely a matter of individual choice. Given that there is no near-universal societal agreement concerning the "correct" moral position on divorce, what should the legislature do?

fishin' wrote:
The statement is simply a way for people with a minority opinion to try to claim a moral high gound. In almost every case not legislating the issue results in the law favoring their view.

Maybe so. In the case of drug use, however, I think the libertarian position (see the third link in my initial post) is not so much in favor of drug use as it is opposed to government interference in private decisions. It's not that drug use is necessarily good, but rather that government regulation is necessarily bad.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 10:08 am
WindyCityJoseph wrote:
Maybe so. In the case of drug use, however, I think the libertarian position (see the third link in my initial post) is not so much in favor of drug use as it is opposed to government interference in private decisions. It's not that drug use is necessarily good, but rather that government regulation is necessarily bad.

In fact, in the early, heady days of righteous republican virtue in our nation, had the smoking of marijuana been brought up as an issue, we would likely not now have a prohibition against it. The earliest Congresses displayed, to my mind, a very "hands-off" attitude to legislation--more or less along the lines of the least regulation regulates best.
0 Replies