Will your TV be obsolete in 2006

au1929

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:52 pm
Will your TV be obsolete in 2006
According to the commentator on this evenings news all TV broadcasting will be High definition by 2006? Making all, he claimed, TV SETS which are not capable of receiving those signals obsolete. If this is true it will be a boon for the TV manufacturers, which BTW are all off shore, and a tremendous financial burden to the American consumer. The change was mandated by our congress.
First I would ask if the commentator was correct? And if so whose interests were the legislators looking to when the passed this legislation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 925 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:56 pm
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv5.htm

Quote:
Currently, the FCC rules state the start-up of digital broadcasts and phase-out of analog broadcasts in 2006. Right now, there aren't that many stations broadcasting. As we get closer to 2006, however, your current analog television set will either have to be replaced or you will need to buy some sort of set-top box for converting the digital signal.

My cable company presently offers the boxes to receive HDTV. Right now, I don't choose to do so. In 2006, I will not have a choice!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:30 pm
My TV was obsolete in 1995.
0 Replies