Python v Crocodile - Nature in the raw.

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:05 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26413101

Australia: Snake eats crocodile after battle

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73323000/jpg/_73323227_img_2258.jpg

A snake has won a lengthy battle with a crocodile in northern Queensland, wrestling it, constricting it and then finally eating it.

The incident at Lake Moondarra, near Mount Isa, was captured on camera by local residents on Sunday.

The 10-ft snake, thought to be a python, coiled itself around the crocodile and the two struggled in the water.

The snake later brought the dead crocodile onto land and ate it.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73323000/jpg/_73323225_img_2281(2).jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73323000/jpg/_73323229_img_2267(1).jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73323000/jpg/_73323231_img_2285.jpg

Tiffany Corlis, a local author, saw the fight and took these pictures, which have been widely used in the Australian media.

"It was amazing," she told the BBC. "We saw the snake fighting with the crocodile - it would roll the crocodile around to get a better grip, and coil its body around the crocodile's legs to hold it tight."

"The fight began in the water - the crocodile was trying to hold its head out of the water at one time, and the snake was constricting it."

"After the crocodile had died, the snake uncoiled itself, came around to the front, and started to eat the crocodile, face-first," she added.

Ms Corlis said it appeared to take the snake around 15 minutes to eat the crocodile.

The snake was "definitely very full," when it finished, she said. "I don't know where it went after that - we all left, thinking we didn't want to stick around!"

'Flexible jaws'
Another witness, Alyce Rosenthal, told local media that the two creatures fought for about five hours. By the end, they appeared exhausted, she said.

"It's not something that you see every day," she said.

Pythons kill their prey by tightening their coils around the animal as it breathes out.

This can cause the animal to suffocate or suffer heart failure, allowing the python to swallow its prey whole. Many snakes have flexible jaws that enable them to swallow prey many times their own body size.

A 2012 study published in the Royal Society journal Biology Letters suggested that snakes could sense their victim's heartbeat, and let go when it stopped, preventing it from using more energy than required.

The Australian state of Queensland is home to some of the world's most dangerous snakes, as well as saltwater crocodiles.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,586 • Replies: 12
No top replies

chai2

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:42 am
Neat.

The diameter of the croc wouldn't be a problem. I was concerned about the length.

Does the snakes stomach stretch that long to accomodate, or is part of the croc in the stomach, and part up in the esophagus, or another part?
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:56 am
@chai2,
Farmerman will be able to tell you. He knows all about gizzards.

Terrible table manners though. The snake that is, not fm.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 10:01 am
@chai2,
ok

I just read where in the process of swallowing, the snake compresses the preys spine into waves, making it much shorter.

That's why one snake can swallow another snake longer than it is.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 10:03 am
@chai2,
I saw Nina Hartley do that once.
chai2

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 10:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
I had to google that name.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
chai2

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 10:11 am
@chai2,
ahahaha....she played Little Bills (William Macy) wife in Boogie Nights. You know, the driveway girl?

Of course we all remember her from Princess Orgasma and the Magic Bed (1993)
as well as House of Anal Perversions (1997)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 11:30 am
Do you know it that's a native species, Wilso?

The pythons in Florida, USA are non-native species and are wreaking havoc with the native fauna there, eating anything they can wrap their mouths around, alligators included.
chai2

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 11:41 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Do you know it that's a native species

Ms Hartley was born in California, so no, she's not native to Australia
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 01:58 pm
@InfraBlue,
I think there are about 20 different types of Australian python.

I know my sister tripped over a carpet python once, whilst jogging in Queensland. Her jog immediately turned in to a sprint,
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 04:35 pm
OMG, I thought Wilso had started this thread! My apologies, Lordyaswas.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 04:36 pm
@chai2,
HA!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 04:37 pm
@InfraBlue,
That's quite alright, Infra. Whenever someone uses python and croc in the same sentence, it's natural to immediately think of an Aussie.
0 Replies