Life at the center of the Earth?

neil

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 05:28 pm
Voids do occur to depths of several kilometers below Earth's surface, but supports are required at about 10 meter intervals to prevent collapse. At 20 kilometers depth the voids are typically less than one meter in at least 2 of the three dimensions. Rock pressure increases proportional to depth (almost) so known materials are not strong enough to support anything but tiny voids at great depths. In my opinion, even millimeter voids can not exist near the center of Earth unless the internal air pressure is about a 5 million psi, which is far above the critical pressure of all? known gases and vapors. Likely also above the critical temperature, unless earth's deep interior is much cooler than we estimate. Is some form of natural air conditioning possible? Most solids and liquids form bizarre molecular structures at such pressures, but perhaps life chemistry of very small organisms is possible under these conditions. Please embellish refute and/or comment. Neil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,946 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 03:19 am
It's liquid iron down there dude.
At a couple of thousand Kelvin.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
Heliotrope wrote:
It's liquid iron down there dude.
At a couple of thousand Kelvin.

I have to agree with Helio here Neil. You're talking about a pretty inhospitible place down there (at least for all the forms of life we know). And once you get below the earth's crust, it's all just molten metal at insane pressures.

What are you thinking about doing down there?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:13 am
Apart from that, the weather is always warm, and the real estate market has rock-bottom prices . . .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
Apart from that, the weather is always warm, and the real estate market has rock-bottom prices . . .

Yeh, they had a real meltdown with prices plunging right through the asthenosphere Wink
0 Replies

neil

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 12:54 am
Thinking about life at the center of the Earth has little utility as we certainly can not visit them with present technology. Can any one imagine a way they could post on able2know? I've not got a clue but telepathy = magic works when no technical solution comes to mind. Neil
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:33 am
I have a suggestion for you Neil.
When you make another post that's a complete waste of time why don't you delete it a few seconds later to save anyone the hassle of replying ?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:11 am
Heliotrope wrote:
I have a suggestion for you Neil.
When you make another post that's a complete waste of time why don't you delete it a few seconds later to save anyone the hassle of replying ?

You havin' a bad day Helio?

Neil's been around a while. His posts frequently push the edge of reality, but I don't find them to be any more a waste of my time than watching kids play in the park. Not such a bad thing, is it?
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:18 am
LOL !
Not a bad day, I was just annoyed that it really was a complete waste of time.
Why would anyone post asking a question or similar and the later on in the thread say that 'thinking about (it) has little utility' ? Thus totally negating any worth that the original post had ?
It's like saying 'help me with my cancer' and getting loads of replies and then at the end saying 'oh, I lied I don't have cancer.'

A case in point of a thread worthy of a little more thought at the start methinks.

Although who am I ? I'm not a policeman. I shouldn't really care. I just find the waste of intellectual resources offensive so I make comment, as is my right.

Surely the whole point is to actually contribute to the sum total of knowledge and wisdom, to teach and learn in turn. To explore the boundaries of our own knowledge and learn the mechanisms of our own and other's thoughts.
A few seconds of extra thought would have obviated the initial post and I wouldn't be here explaining all of this.
I don't really mind explaining it as I'm learning why it annoyed me so much but I do feel it was a waste of his time.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:21 am
Are you folks saying that the movies about journying to the center of the earth and finding a whole different world might not be real?

Isn't hell down there and china on the other side of it?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:25 am
they confused me too Joanne...like I am not confused enough with why those Australians don't fall off, being upside down all the time
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:31 am
Shear ignorance I guess. Either that or they are not aware of the upsidedowness. Or it could be something in the water.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:53 am
Can't be the water. That all fell off long ago down there.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:54 am
JoanneDorel wrote:
Isn't hell down there and china on the other side of it?

So China is on the far side of Hell ?
Hmmm, looks like I might end up paying a bit more in airfare.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 08:23 am
Heliotrope wrote:
LOL !
Not a bad day, I was just annoyed that it really was a complete waste of time. Why would anyone post asking a question or similar and the later on in the thread say that 'thinking about (it) has little utility' ? Thus totally negating any worth that the original post had ?

I see your point, but I think Neil just chooses the wrong words sometimes. In this case, I think he was acknowledging that we are probably correct about the conditions being too extreme, rather than really meaning that the whole question is devoid of worth.

After all, I got to relearn the meaning of Asthenosphere. And even more importantly, I got to hear you say, "It's liquid Iron down there Dude", which cracked me up Smile
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 03:53 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
After all, I got to relearn the meaning of Asthenosphere. And even more importantly, I got to hear you say, "It's liquid Iron down there Dude", which cracked me up Smile

Laughing
I've never been one to mince my words or get verbose when the obvious needs pointing out :wink:
0 Replies

appc

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 07:27 pm
@neil,
Quite an interesting question and interesting arguments, too. I wish there were more opinions on your question.
0 Replies