http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3656785.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 847 • Replies: 15
No top replies

owi

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:02 am
Heinz Fischer is in all probability the new Austrian president. Actual extrapolation:

52,3% Heinz Fischer (social democrat)
47,7% Benita Ferrero Waldner (conservative)

Fischer will be the first social democratic president since 18 years. He will be the successor of Thomas Klestil.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:44 am
owi!!!!!

Long not seen - and now even with "open" location :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:52 am
Although the post of president in Austria (similar to Germany) is largely ceremonial, the result thus indirectly shows how the government coalition is faring in voter popularity midway through its term and in the aftermath of pension reforms and other unpopular legislation.

Right-wing populist Jörg Haider's backing of Ferrero-Waldner and her rival's critical stance toward the Austrian rightist, whose appeal extends to the neo-Nazi fringe, added spice to an otherwise humdrum race for the mostly ceremonial position.
(And their had been an offical poststamp for Waldner [the Austrian Post Office prints "stamps on demand" now] - which confused me very much, when I saw that a couple of weeks ago.)

Fischer was backed by the Greens.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 11:33 am
Just saw on ORF-videotext, owi, that in your hometown Fischer got 64,2%! (You live in good region :wink: )
0 Replies

owi

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 11:41 am
hi walter!

1) Ferrero has lost (imho) because of these points:

- Zigzag course in the policy of neutrality
- Fischer has gained much respect as first parliament president.
- Ferrero is part of the Austrian government and therefor had to take the responsibility for the government policy.
- She refused discussion with Fischer. Beacuse of this there was only one live discussion between the two candidates.
- Stupid election campain, for example some slogans:

The first who fought for Austria like a lion.
The first who is able to speak to 101 heads of state in their mothertongue.

2) The post of president is not only ceremonial.

De jure he is the commander-in-chief, he can release the parliament and the government. He even appoints the government.

De facto you're right. His only not ceremonial task is to appoint the government.

3) There was no official backing of the greens or the freedom party(fpö) for any candidate but de facto you're right again. Most of the greens have voted for Fischer and most of the blues(fpö) have voted for Ferrero.
0 Replies

owi

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 11:48 am
The social democrats mostly live in the towns, the conservatives live in the rural areas. That's one reason for the result in Linz and other cities in Austria like Vienna.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 11:49 am
I fully agree with your reasons.

And I know about the post of an Austrian president.
I was pointing out more the points, whic are "to be seen" than those, which are printed in the laws/constitution.
(Mind you that is exactly the same here in Germany - de facto differs a lot from de jure = even leading politicians don't know sometimes, what our president's rights are.)
0 Replies

owi

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 12:07 pm
btw. the german president isn't voted directly by the people. Who votes the president instead in Germany? Bundestag? Bundesrat?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 12:45 pm
Our president is chosen in the so-called 'Bundesversammlung" (Federal Convention), a special constitutional body that convenes solely for this purpose

It consists by half of members delegated from the Bundesrat (upper house of parliament) and the other half is from the Bundestag (lower house).

Quote:
In Germany, the presidential job is a largely ceremonial post. The German president has primarily a symbolic function and wields limited powers, but does have moral authority. Past presidents have played an important role in national life by opening debates on broad ethical and social issues.

Presidential duties include representing Germany in its international relations and concluding treaties with other states on its behalf; appointing and dismissing federal judges, federal civil servants and commissioned and non-commissioned officers of the Bundeswehr, Germany's armed forces; pardoning convicted criminals; proposing to the Bundestag a candidate for the office of German chancellor, and appointing and dismissing federal ministers.

It's Germany's highest office, and the only one where the incumbent gets to live in their own palace -- Schloss Bellevue in Berlin. The federal president is officially the most important person in the country along with the chancellor.

What the president doesn't have is the power to make political decisions. But the president can exert some influence on the Chancellor and the government by prompting debate and guiding the direction it takes.

Political parties think about introducing a genaral elected president.

This, however, would/should lead IMHO to more changes and to give him additional "powers".
0 Replies

owi

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:05 pm
From outside the election of the German president looks very much like a log-rolling. How much respect has such a president in the German people?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:11 pm
Thoj, I'm just wondering: are you Austrian? You DO speak German, I saw that on another post. I know it's actually none of my business, but hey, can't help it I'm curious :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 02:16 pm
owi wrote:
From outside the election of the German president looks very much like a log-rolling. How much respect has such a president in the German people?

Besides perhaps Heinrich Lübcke (although he had a doctorate, he was thought to be a simple person, which mostly was due to his speech and funny kind of speakng English), all presidents have a high, if not very high, reputation Germany.

Until now.

The new to-be-elected, former president of the IWF, Köhler, might get some difficulties because he is rather unknown here.
0 Replies

owi

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 02:50 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The new to-be-elected, former president of the IWF, Köhler, might get some difficulties because he is rather unknown here.

Hmm, seems really hard to act as ceremonial master and moral instance if you're rahter unknown.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Thoj, I'm just wondering: are you Austrian? You DO speak German, I saw that on another post. I know it's actually none of my business, but hey, can't help it I'm curious :wink:

I'm a German and live in Vienna, Austria.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=665557#665557
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:11 pm
Aha Vienna...I have relatives there, was there two years ago, beautiful city. So clean and peaceful, with a wonderful zoo.
0 Replies