What's the difference between wheelchairs and lightweight transport wheelchairs?

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 07:54 am
Helping out a friend here whose looking to get a cheap used wheelchair for his mother. Needs it by Friday.

What's the difference between standard wheelchairs and lightweight transport wheelchairs? Money is tight for him and I don't believe they'll need the wheelchair indefinitely. Just long enough for an injury to heal.

I'm looking at Ebay, etc.... And some standard wheelchairs are cheaper than the other type. So we're looking for something that works, is cheap, and easy to get at such a quick time. Trying to make the search easier by eliminating as many factors as possible.

jespah

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 08:34 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm guessing the lightweight types fold. And since this is long term, your friend's mother will probably need to take it in cars (or cabs). Hence something that folds would be optimal.

Is it possible to rent a wheelchair for a short-term need?
Peter Frouman

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 08:39 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't know that much about wheelchairs but I think the main difference is that the transport wheelchairs have smaller wheels and are designed to be pushed by someone else while standard wheelchairs have larger wheels and can be self-propelled. Either type can be lightweight.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 08:41 am
@jespah,
Yes, any medical supply store will rent you a wheelchair, and it may be covered by medicare or other insurance.

Can they get a doctors order for the chair? That way I think insurance can be billed.

Check with a medical supply place for info on how it works. You might want to look under Durable Medical Equipment (DME).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:18 am
I found a really cheap used standard wheelchair for $80 on Craigslist in a Brooklyn neighborhood near where we live. Forwarded the details to my flatmate so he can dive into it further.

Kind of makes my question moot. Still, thanks for the quick answers everybody. Will let you know what happens.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:22 am
@tsarstepan,
often there are local organizations that will let you use a chair and bring it back when you have no further need for it.

transport chairs are not as supportive or comfortable as regular ones. but are much easier to in and out of a vehicle...
0 Replies