For the language pendants...

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:22 pm
@Lordyaswas,
He is to me, but I'm a online Guardian reader these days. Cheesits, I even read the comments on a lot of articles - learn a lot from them about you folks crossponding.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Thinking about it, my next signature could be Stephen Fry wouldn't mind - except I've one more Derek Walcott quote to go.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 07:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Why do you figure these remarks always come from those of the land of the brave, Merry? And they normally come right after I have exposed you as an idiot, a hypocritical asshole or a liar.

I'll expect to see another from you soon.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 05:02 am

Stephen Fry also talks interestingly here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohrtFuxUzZE
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 07:28 pm
@McTag,
It puzzles me immensely, McTag, why the mention of supreme cruelty always and immediately goes to the holocaust in germany. Interesting, spell check didn't see any reason to capitalize the 'h'. It does for many other less important words.

The America holocaust was equally horrific, probably even more so because of the numbers and it's been suggested that it planted the seed in Hitler's mind for his own evil.

Also Hitler couldn't have not known about the Philippines Holocaust committed by the USA. Of the Indonesian Holocaust where this time the USA was aided by the UK and the down under folks who have their own home grown Holocausts to mull over - tho I doubt there's much mulling going on in any of those circles.
McTag

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 04:41 am
@JTT,

I can't really speak to that. Presumably if the Nazis had triumphed in the 1940s, European literature would have changed as much as European history, and we would have had more emphasis placed on American misdeeds.

The Holocaust is unique in many minds because of the scale and scope of it: not only, as elsewhere, an army running amuck, not only settlers taking revenge attacks on native peoples, but a whole industrial killing machine involving large sectors of the nation, architects, builders, transportation managers and workers, police and army, with the rest of the population unable or unwilling to protest, most apparently buying the lie that "Die Juden sind unser Unglueck." The national policy of mass murder, perhaps not unique, is unrivalled in scale and scope, outside of wartime, and this policy had its roots before war broke out.
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 12:42 pm
@McTag,
McTag: The Holocaust is unique in many minds because of the scale and scope of it: not only, as elsewhere, an army running amuck, not only settlers taking revenge attacks on native peoples, but a whole industrial killing machine involving large sectors of the nation, architects, builders, transportation managers and workers, police and army, with the rest of the population unable or unwilling to protest, most apparently buying the lie that "Die Juden sind unser Unglueck." The national policy of mass murder, perhaps not unique, is unrivalled in scale and scope, outside of wartime, and this policy had its roots before war broke out.
---------------

Which country are you describing, McTag, the USA or Germany?
McTag

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:37 pm
@JTT,

I will accept what many Americans might not, that there is a close correlation between the policies of Manifest Destiny and Final Solution.

I am aware too that the British Empire was not assembled without similar misdeeds.
JTT

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:57 pm
@McTag,

Re: JTT (Post 5582617)

I will accept what many Americans might not, that there is a close correlation between the policies of Manifest Destiny and Final Solution.
--------

That is Manifest Clearly!

Mctag: I am aware too that the British Empire was not assembled without similar misdeeds.
--------------

"misdeeds" Smile

That issue has come up a number of times of late - who has been the most vicious/brutal/evil/inhumane/... in its imperialist (cute euphemism) policies, the UK or the USA.

Do you know of any UK slaughters, other than the shared uk/usa/aussie Indonesian genocide, that have been worse than the USA in the Philippines, Vietnam, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Cambodia, Korea - for starters?
McTag

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 04:44 pm
@JTT,

I do not. A tactic has been to brutally and ruthlessly put down insurrection, which is perhaps not the same thing. This we did in Sudan (Mahdi), India (Mutiny), South Africa (Zulu Wars), and Kenya (Mau Mau). But I can't claim any expertise in this field.
Tasmanian aboriginals were deliberately wiped out by British settlers there.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:38 pm
It's fairly well known that hitler modled his SS and hitler youth not on anything American but on the young turks.
Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:40 pm
@JTT,
Look up some of the Irish tragedies...
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:43 pm
@Ceili,
Do you have a source for that, Ceili?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:44 pm
@Ceili,
What will they tell us?
Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:06 pm
Read up on the young Turks. You'll see many similarities including the extermination of the Armenians. I'm in Florida and not on my computer, however if you do a wee bit of research yourself you'll se the parallels and similarities.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:08 pm
Holy ****" I wish people people on this site would grow up. Don't like me or the point I' m making have the balls to confront me. Cowards
Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:10 pm
@JTT,
Don't be so obtuse. You know what you'll find, or maybe it doesn't taint the US enough, so we'll ignore it.
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:23 pm
@Ceili,
I agree completely, Ceili.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:28 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili: You know what you'll find,

No, I don't, really I don't. I guess you have a point you are trying to make though.

0 Replies