Living outside London or Amsterdam for an American?

kjmohio

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:52 am
We have been told that no matter where we chose to live that we will be monetarily compensated for any differences. So based on that where would advise a mid western american to move to?

Background: We are in our 50's so are past the night life scene. Moving this summer and bringing a daughter that will need to finish her last year of high school before she goes off to college. Locations would be either Chertsey, Surrey area or southwest of Amsterdam. Husband will be traveling 75% of the time to other European countries for his upper management executive level job so needs to be within 45 min of an International Airport. Wife currently doesn't work and plans to travel as much as possible. We have no problem with learning Dutch if we move to Holland.

Thoughts, comments or advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,039 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:19 am
@kjmohio,
Can your husband's Human Resources department offer some help? My ex used to work as the head of an HR and often time many larger and mid-sized companies have a lot of their resources dedicated as part of their relocation functionality.
kjmohio

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:46 am
@Ragman,
Unfortunately HR person in the American office is hmmmm.... well not very efficient.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 12:09 pm
@kjmohio,
Is there an equivalent person in the Netherlands part of the firm, ( a possible boss there?) to help you re your decision from their point of view? (The fellow in England seems ery helpful (as does Lordyaswas).
Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 12:27 pm
@kjmohio,
Than if it were me, I'd ask head of HR as that is their area of expertise.
0 Replies

kjmohio

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 12:31 pm
@ossobuco,
His boss will actually be working out of Frankfurt, Germany but told my husband he would try and have his HR director help us out. Hopefully he is a much better HR person Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 07:12 pm
@kjmohio,
We have an a2ker who is originally from the Bratislava area. She moved for a while to Amsterdam (from Boston).

http://able2know.org/topic/114749-1 (keep reading, it's a conversation that takes a while)

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Keep going on that thread, worth reading.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 07:51 pm
@ossobuco,
See page four if you want to jump, but the early pages show who you are talking with..
0 Replies

kjmohio

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 07:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I finally got a chance to sit and read that thread. Very informative, thanks so much for sharing it!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:44 pm
@kjmohio,
You're welcome. I just had to read it all the way through again myself.

0 Replies