Is anyone else having problems with yahoo mail?

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 07:24 pm
I saw in the news that Yahoo had been hacked and that they were recommending that you take some precautions with passwords, etc.

I couldn't get into my Yahoo account on Firefox -- I got a message that said that the site's security certificate had expired. It asked if I wanted to bypass the warning and continue to the site. I didn't.

I was able to get to my mail using Goggle Chrome but now I'm getting the same message from them asking if I want to bypass the warning or not.

I've switched some of my accounts over to my Gmail address but I really need to get into my Yahoo mail to finish moving things.

Should I bypass the warning or not? If I just wait it out will my mail eventually become available again?

Is anyone else having this problem? What did you do?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 19,346 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 07:32 pm
@boomerang,
I started a thread on that about a week ago, had the same thing going on as you did. No one answered the thread, people probably used to my various computer ignorant rants. Or, maybe more likely, a lot of regulars only look at their My Posts.

My problem is I'm not fond of gmail either. I am able to get my yahoo mail on my Safari, but they usually want a log in about every two weeks and I couldn't log in, same way you had trouble. So, I'm sort of waiting for my email to just stop. I found no place to somehow contact yahoo.

Here's my lonely thread -
http://able2know.org/topic/233086-1
boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Huh.

Mine just started yesterday. I got the warning and looked on Mo's iPad for news and saw that it was a problem. The article I saw said that Yahoo was emailing everyone with updates but since I couldn't get into my mail I couldn't get updates. When I got in with Google Chrome there weren't any updates anyway. Its so annoying.

Maybe more people are effected now so maybe someone will have a clue what to do. I really need to access that account! All of my bills are sent there.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:07 pm
@boomerang,
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/certificate-errors#1TC=windows-7

About certificate errors
Windows 7 More
Here are answers to some common questions about certificate errors.

Hide all
Why do certificate errors occur?
Certificate errors occur when there's a problem with a certificate or a web server's use of the certificate. A website's certificate identifies the web server and it enables Internet Explorer to establish a secure connection with the site. Internet Explorer can help keep your information more secure by warning you about certificate errors.

How do I know there is a certificate error?
Usually, a blocking page will appear that will warn you about the problem with the certificate. If you choose to ignore the error and continue, the Address bar will turn red and the message Certificate Error will appear in the Security Status bar (next to the Address bar).

Can I go to a website that has a certificate warning?
Yes. While this isn't recommended, you can click Continue to this website (not recommended) on the certificate error blocking page to go to the website. If you ignore the warning page and go to a website that has presented a certificate containing an error, Internet Explorer will remember the certificate while you have your browser open. You can return to the site without receiving another warning for that certificate until Internet Explorer is restarted. However, you will still see the red Address bar and the message Certificate Error in the Security Status bar.

Can I turn off certificate checking?
No, you can't turn off certificate checking in Internet Explorer. If you're receiving certificate errors, it means the website you're visiting is having certificate problems and it doesn't indicate a problem with Internet Explorer.

I'm getting errors on websites I always visit. What should I do?
If you encounter a certificate error at a website you've visited before without errors, it's possible the website is not configured correctly. Try retyping the address you're using. For example, if you're typing the address as https://example.com, try changing it to https://www.example.com.

It's also possible that the website's certificate has expired and the owner or operator needs to contact the certification authority to renew the certificate to continue using it. This is a website-related problem, and can't be corrected in Internet Explorer. If you're getting errors on a website you've visited successfully, contact the website to report the problem.

Is it ever safe to ignore a certificate warning and continue to a website?
A website's certificate provides identification of the web server. If the certificate has an error, it might indicate that your connection has been intercepted or that the web server is misrepresenting its identity. If you're absolutely positive of the identity of the website, you know that your connection has not been compromised, and you understand the risks, you can choose to go to the website. However, we recommend that you don't ignore a certificate warning.

What about expired certificates? Is it okay to go to a website with an expired certificate?
No, an expired certificate means that the certification authority is no longer reporting on the integrity of the certificate. An expired certificate could be stolen and used by a malicious website.

What do the different certificate errors mean?
The following table contains a list of common certificate errors and information about what they mean.

Error message
What it means
This website’s security certificate has been revoked
Don't trust this website. This error message often indicates that the security certificate was obtained or used fraudulently by the website. The encryption key that is specified in the certificate might have been compromised or the user listed in a certificate does not have authority to use it (for example, the company was sold). The certification authority that issued the certificate keeps a list of revoked certificates and that list is checked by Internet Explorer.
This website’s address doesn't match the address in the security certificate
This error indicates that a website is using a digital certificate that was issued to a different web address. This error can also occur if a company owns several websites and uses a certificate that was issued for one web address for another site (for example, for a different department or division). This error should only be ignored if you're confident that the site really is related to the website on the certificate.
This website’s security certificate is out of date
This error occurs when the current date is either before or after the time period during which the certificate is valid. Websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current. Outdated certificates can be a security risk. After a certificate expires, the certification authority that issued the certificate is no longer responsible for ensuring that the certificate is not misused.
This website’s security certificate isn't from a trusted source
This error occurs when the certificate has been issued by a certification authority that isn't recognized by Internet Explorer. It's unlikely that this error will occur on a legitimate business or banking site. Phishing sites often attempt to use fake certificates that will trigger this error.
Internet Explorer has found a problem with this website’s security certificate
This error occurs when Internet Explorer finds a problem with a security certificate that doesn't fit any other error conditions. The error can potentially occur because a certificate has been corrupted, tampered with, is written in an unknown format, or is unreadable. You shouldn't trust the identity of the site if the certificate has this error.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:10 pm
@boomerang,
I could get into my email, though I couldn't log in, must have not needed to, but never got any notice.

I've been copying/cleaning up my yahoo contacts for a while (too slowly) to a Works page, in case I lose everybody's data. I should take that more seriously.

Reuter's article said (I took it as) that yahoo was doing avoidance stuff re letting people know and re the password mess.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:13 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

. . . but since I couldn't get into my mail I couldn't get updates.

That reminds me of a funny story that happened today. Since I got my new computer, I haven't been able to read pdf files. I downloaded Adobe Reader, and still can't see anything that doesn't look like a wall of hieroglyphics. I entered "how to use adobe reader" into google, and got 20 pages of text which might prove helpful. The entire document was a pdf! Strangely, I was able to read it, so have no idea why I can't read the ones sent to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:30 pm
I had two incidents not too long ago -
one was that I answered a Linkedin email from an old colleague and signed in somehow to do so. The site asked if I wanted to give my info to something like six people, and I checked ok. Then apparently most of my yahoo contact list got invites to my linked in, let's say 40 (geez, I am not soliciting work). I got all gruff about it, but got to sort of like getting some of the emails. I haven't answered and they've tapered off. I'll contact whoever by other means.

Around the same time, I seem to have sent people some damn recipe for raspberry jam. (No, I didn't). Also apparently from the yahoo contacts. People let me know they knew I didn't send it and we all changed our passwords.

So, I figure the linkedin thing was my mistake, should never have checked that box for those few people - but I was glad enough to talk with the old colleague. She's designing gardens for clients who are disabled - she's both an occupational therapist and landscape architect. But - I'm still yahoo wary.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 08:23 am
@Butrflynet,
Grrr.

I wonder if I will ever be able to get into my mail again.

This is so frustrating!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 08:32 am
@boomerang,
Do not bypass the certificate error.

Yahoo's actual site will have a valid certificate. An invalid certificate means something bad is happening.

Get your computer scanned for malware, and try accessing Yahoo mail from a different machine.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 02:36 pm
Well, I lallygagged for a while and didn't try to get into yahoo again since it wouldn't let me reset my password, as mentioned, as I had read that they weren't letting people reset. Today I tried to access yahoo, log in, and no, efforts repeatedly denied, but this time, they gave me a choice of checking "I think my account may have been compromised" and then I had to fill out response to this and that. Slight delay as I spelled my first car's name incorrectly. I don't use the word bumbleshoot too often (kidding).

Anyway, I'm back in, yippee yuppie.

Now to figure out if people on my yahoo contacts got some more fruit jam recipes, or worse.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 02:46 pm
@DrewDad,
This puzzled me - I saw nothing like a certificate error, much less something with that title. (mac)
0 Replies

andrew02180

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 10:52 am
@boomerang,
We had this problem when our power went out and the PC rebooted to a default date of 1/2008. Once we reset the time all certificates worked again.
0 Replies