THE NATURE OF CONSCIOUSNESS

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 05:34 pm
@gungasnake,
I think that some folks have emotional investments in purported skepticism.

I recognize that thay 'd attribute the same to the rest of us.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 05:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Do thay offer degrees in "cryptozoology
Good question. Im gonna sneak round and see before I bitch too much about such waste
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 07:33 pm
I have been following along. I have no conclusions of my own worth throwing in the mix, just now.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 08:01 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

3. NDE's are getting more and more believable as our abilities to determine and follow brain activities (and lack there of) get more sophisticated. We cannot toss off NDEs as merely stray synapsing in a brain that is "on an anoxic break". We can track synapses now.

Hey farmer, can you provide some sources/sites etc for the above?

I'd be interested in reading the latest.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 08:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
One very simple test or little list of tests they could have performed when the kid was three or four, i.e. asked him to describe several of the multitude of controls in an F4 (Corsair)... A kid would have absolutely no possible way to know any of that stuff.

I don't see this story as mandating that you believe the kid had been reborn or reincarnated. More likely some sort of spirit world entanglement or contact between the kid's spirit which was new, and the spirit of the WW-II aviator. It doesn't really sound like the flier really had any unfinished business that he needed to come back for.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 09:05 pm
@chai2,

farmerman wrote:

3. NDE's are getting more and more believable as our abilities to determine and follow brain activities (and lack there of) get more sophisticated. We cannot toss off NDEs as merely stray synapsing in a brain that is "on an anoxic break". We can track synapses now.

chai2 wrote:
Hey farmer, can you provide some sources/sites etc for the above?

I'd be interested in reading the latest.
I dunno if u saw this link already or not.
Its a free site that might well lead to good, relevant information.
www.IANDS.org
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 09:12 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
One very simple test or little list of tests they could have performed when the kid was three or four, i.e. asked him to describe several of the multitude of controls in an F4 (Corsair)...
A kid would have absolutely no possible way to know any of that stuff.
I don t believe that his parents
knew that either. He knew personal matters from decedent's sister's family.
He knew some of the ship's other aviators by their nicknames.

gungasnake wrote:
I don't see this story as mandating that you believe the kid had been reborn or reincarnated. More likely some sort of spirit world entanglement or contact between the kid's spirit which was new, and the spirit of the WW-II aviator. It doesn't really sound like the flier really had any unfinished business that he needed to come back for.
What leads u to think
that the kid's spirit was "NEW"????
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:04 am
@chai2,
There was a series of segmenst on PBS 'The Pulse" a medicine and psych segment . They were talking about the research based upon childhood "past life reporting" and a series on how we don't understand how anesthesia works .
The NDE was a segment on another medical show that was comparing the anesthesia effects and "travelling consciousness" in NDEs
The study that will be going on is Wisconsin and Princeton where they are pulling together and interdisciplinary group that represents brain development and med all the way to physics and genetics
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:18 am
Do they ever bring connectivity between people and some animals? For instance, my first wife had a connection with her mother so strong that she could sometimes tell me what the mother was doing, although we were in Rhode Island and she was in Texas. One day, she told me, I just got a picture of my mother, stranded on the highway in the rain. Sure enough, the mother had been traveling to Galveston in the rain, when her car died. Or sometimes a dog miles away starts to howl when the owner dies. Don't want to deflect the flow, so just ignore if you don't see the relevance.
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:28 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't know , Im just sorta posing the question based upon this actual research. Its that this was NOT in the hands of the "Dr Vinkman's" of the world. It's not a project from some parapsychology department (where , years of research hasn't shown anything)
So many kids have been discovered who report these 'other life" knowledge for a few years that the scientists have just proposed a series of studies that, like the thing Dave was reporting, would lead to some basic evidence (or would refute it).
The neat thing is that this research, according to the radio program,
DID NOT start with a position of advocacy, quite the contrary, several of the scientists want to know whether some epigenetic phenomena may be partially in play such that "stray" information, to which the parents may have been exposed, was transferred to the prenatal kid.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:51 am
your insights are welcome. Have any?
Ive spared myself the rudeness of responses about how "idiotic" this may be by considering how early "Continental Drift" was considered by the "learned men of science"
gungasnake

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 07:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
An idea of the complexity of the F4...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 08:04 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
There was a series of segmenst on PBS 'The Pulse" a medicine and psych segment. They were talking about the research based upon childhood "past life reporting" and a series on how we don't understand how anesthesia works.
The NDE was a segment on another medical show that was comparing the anesthesia effects and "travelling consciousness" in NDEs
The study that will be going on is Wisconsin and Princeton where they are pulling together and interdisciplinary group that represents brain development and med all the way to physics and genetics
Interesting; very interesting. Has the study begun yet ?

Do u attribute much credence
to people 's individual accounts of out-of-body experiences?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 08:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What leads u to think

The only alternative is to actually believe in reincarnation, which I would tend to reject on purely philosophical principles. There's certainly nothing in the Bible or Jewish literature about reincarnation, it appears to be a uniquely Asian idea.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 08:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
your insights are welcome. Have any?
I join in my sense of the situation
with Deepak Chopra, M.D.'s dictum
that people believe that we are human beings
with occasional experiences, but we are spiritual beings with occasional human experiences.

farmerman wrote:
Ive spared myself the rudeness of responses about how "idiotic" this may be
by considering how early "Continental Drift" was considered by the "learned men of science"
Rudeness can be and shud be peremptorily dismissed.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 11:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
ERRATUM:

I did violence thru the negligence of my representation
to the dictum of Deepak Chopra, M.D.
when he opined that:
people believe that we are human beings
with occasional spiritual experiences,
but we are spiritual beings with occasional human experiences

My earlier rendition was incomplete.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 11:56 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
What leads u to think
gungasnake wrote:

The only alternative is to actually believe in reincarnation,
which I would tend to reject on purely philosophical principles.
There's certainly nothing in the Bible or Jewish literature about reincarnation,
it appears to be a uniquely Asian idea.
The question is:
WHAT 'S REALLY GOING ON ???

Altho my own personal experiences (OOBEs) have not
had any bearing upon reincarnation, some people who have returned
from death in hospitals have reported seeing, catching a glimpse,
of other human lives. I think that most likely, in my opinion,
the Law of the Conservation of Energy applies to conscious life
and that it (conscious life) incarnates occasionally.

If our lives are non-mortal,
then we have an issue of how to spend that time.
The only threat to an immortal being is boredom.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 11:59 am
@gungasnake,
I 'm a pro-American guy, but if the Asians got it accurately
before we did (like gun powder), then let 's just thank them and adopt it.

David
0 Replies

A widow

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:24 am
@farmerman,
Dear Farmerman, I just read a book called Proff of Heaven, by a neurosurgeon Dr. Eben Alexander. He was in a coma for 7 days, had minimal brain activity and was expected to die. Miraculously he lived to talk about his out of body experience while he was unconscious. He determined that the other space, or that place of conconsciousness you are refering to is like an ectoplasm that is not visible to our everyday eye, but is present in and around us at every given moment. He calls it the 4th dimension. We live in a 3rd dimensional world and the 4th dimension is not readily visible to our 3rd demensional consciousness and eye sight. He was a very scientific guy operating on patients and folowed the scientific factual way of living and patient care. But his experience has taught him diferently. Let's just say, has taught him more. I highly recommend reading this book. It's easy and kind of amazing.
I often think about spiritual consciousness, the energy of it, and try to work with it. Every spiritualist I have ever seen ALL say the same thing to me, that I have intense spiritual energy, the ability to manifest and on and on. . . I like to believe that, and actually see that what they say about me is true. But I often don't feel it. I often doubt myself, or get distracted by someones elses issues that absorb me in directions that don't necessarily belong to me. (Iguess there is a reason for that). So my goal is to FEEL it so that my belief is grounded with a sense of personal connection to it. I think that is the place that all the guru's talk about with finding peace, contentment, that all is well in the midst of our chaotic world and everyday experiences.
Your post is nice. I am grateful to respond to it, because it, in doing so actually helps me get focused on what I want for myself in this area. Best of wishes to you and your quest.
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:29 pm
@A widow,
Thank you. I suppose I will try to fond it as Im not very convinced of the information that the NDE site that was reccomended earlier . There still has been no evidence that I find as really "reproduceable" everything to date is anecdotal and, like Creationism, anecdotal evidence gets jiggered about by the speakers. Only reproducible evidence will suffice. Ill keep following up and, like my thread on seaadventures , Ill keep this updated over time.